• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I haven't been very impressed with the scheduling for Melbourne, though I'm sure it's dire for other teams too. Home game on Easter, bye weekend on Gather Round. From a winning point of view we play the hardest teams at home and have our winnable games away which isn't helping us.
I think in a two year cycle you should play every one at home. I don’t think we need to have softer teams at home to try and manufacture better results

But I can remember going to storm games as a kid at the old Olympic park. They use to hand out tickets like they were going out of fashion.

Community rugby hasn’t started back yet in Melbourne. They should have played at home this week and they should have been handing out as many free passes as possible

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The rebels are playing 4 days before the storm & there is no game in melbourne fri or saturday they arent going up against anyone
They are but, families only have so much time and money to spend.

Tickets to ANZAC day will set you back close to $100 per head. You take the family and are you really going to be spending on other games that week?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
They are but, families only have so much time and money to spend.

Tickets to ANZAC day will set you back close to $100 per head. You take the family and are you really going to be spending on other games that week?

most of the tickets for anzac day are either mcc or club/alf membership allocation, anzac day mid week has zero effect on the rebels on a friday night

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
most of the tickets for anzac day are either mcc or club/alf membership allocation, anzac day mid week has zero effect on the rebels on a friday night
It does because most fans in Melbourne will also support the AFL. Yes members take up a lot of the tickets but most members still have to pay to upgrade their memberships.

Super Rugby has stuffed up massively here.

There is absolutely no way that they are better off playing ANZAC day weekend to playing Gather Round weekend

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
It does because most fans in Melbourne will also support the AFL. Yes members take up a lot of the tickets but most members still have to pay to upgrade their memberships.

Super Rugby has stuffed up massively here.

There is absolutely no way that they are better off playing ANZAC day weekend to playing Gather Round weekend

yes they do support afl but the game doesnt remotely clash

super rugby fixture was out before gather round was locked in

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I haven't been very impressed with the scheduling for Melbourne, though I'm sure it's dire for other teams too. Home game on Easter, bye weekend on Gather Round. From a winning point of view we play the hardest teams at home and have our winnable games away which isn't helping us.
It has been pretty brain dead across the competition. I'm hopeful that when they move on from SANZAAR managing the comp it will improve, but it still remains to be seen what that will look like.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It has been pretty brain dead across the competition. I'm hopeful that when they move on from SANZAAR managing the comp it will improve, but it still remains to be seen what that will look like.

I don't understand how the scheduling isn't better.

SANZAAR aren't really some separate organization. They're just a collective of the national unions. I would be highly surprised if anyone from South Africa or Argentina has had any involvement whatsoever in the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) scheduling. It's surely RA/NZRU with maybe a little input from Fiji/Moana Pacific.

The starting point should be each team providing desired and essential scheduling information (i.e. no home games due to stadium availability at certain times or a team stating that they would like one or two Sunday day time games etc.). As a Waratahs fan it would be great if there was a Sunday game or two which would make it possible to bring young kids to the new stadium.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't understand how the scheduling isn't better.

SANZAAR aren't really some separate organization. They're just a collective of the national unions. I would be highly surprised if anyone from South Africa or Argentina has had any involvement whatsoever in the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) scheduling. It's surely Rugby Australia/NZRU with maybe a little input from Fiji/Moana Pacific.

The starting point should be each team providing desired and essential scheduling information (i.e. no home games due to stadium availability at certain times or a team stating that they would like one or two Sunday day time games etc.). As a Waratahs fan it would be great if there was a Sunday game or two which would make it possible to bring young kids to the new stadium.
The SANZAAR issue is mostly that they have no money and very little to gain in putting their time and effort into the competition. Even when it functions though it is a bit of a mess of competing interests and doesn't really see the whole of competition picture considered.

There needs to be an organisation running it that has an actual stake in the success of the competition whose job it is to see the competition succeed, rather than just Aus/NZ/Fiji/MP (Moana Pasifika) pulling in different directions trying to get individual outcomes for teams. I believe there are plans for the competition to be run this way in a year or twos time, but I'm hopeful rather than confident they'll get the structure right.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The SANZAAR issue is mostly that they have no money and very little to gain in putting their time and effort into the competition. Even when it functions though it is a bit of a mess of competing interests and doesn't really see the whole of competition picture considered.

There needs to be an organisation running it that has an actual stake in the success of the competition whose job it is to see the competition succeed, rather than just Aus/NZ/Fiji/MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) pulling in different directions trying to get individual outcomes for teams. I believe there are plans for the competition to be run this way in a year or twos time, but I'm hopeful rather than confident they'll get the structure right.
Thats the problem with the game here, there are always plans for things to improve and this will be addressed, but nothing ever changes, ffs its 2023 iv'e seen Friday night chook raffles run more professionally.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Thats the problem with the game here, there are always plans for things to improve and this will be addressed, but nothing ever changes, ffs its 2023 iv'e seen Friday night chook raffles run more professionally.

how goods winning a meat trey at the local footy

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

There needs to be an organisation running it that has an actual stake in the success of the competition whose job it is to see the competition succeed, rather than just Aus/NZ/Fiji/MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) pulling in different directions trying to get individual outcomes for teams. I believe there are plans for the competition to be run this way in a year or twos time, but I'm hopeful rather than confident they'll get the structure right.
Was quite interesting hearing Andrew Hore former Tahs CEO and now Blues talking on tv the other night, was giving a few of his (and I think other clubs etc) thoughts of things they would like to see going forward. Obviously things like control of things like players, game times, evening up teams etc to make it a stand alone comp, from the NZR and RA.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon having a substantial SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) structure in terms of employees would be too much in the way of overheads.

I'd have a board or committee that is trying to provide overall direction for the competition. This could be two Australian team reps, two NZ, 1 Fiji/Moana and a few appointed people who aren't involved with a specific team.

They would look at things such as scheduling, laws/law trials, and commercial considerations such as broadcast agreements.

There's always going to be a huge connection with RA and NZRU so I would certainly leverage off their marketing and other staff which are relevant.

None of these things should be out of reach right now. SANZAAR is just a figurehead and realistically should deliver what RA/NZRU and the teams involved want. The people doing the stuff that would be considered the domain of SANZAAR are current RA/NZRU employees.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
B0EC6682-15D5-4962-841E-8DDC9E154F2B.jpeg

Spicy headline. He’s a weapon but has also been after a contract upgrade for 2 years for 1m+. I feel it’s leverage.

Still, not a bad thought of him in an 8 jersey.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Not as of right now but I also think Bobby V would be the best 6 in the country.

Watch a little league not a lot but just saw on 360 that he is actually the best forward in the nrl atm so okay yeah I can understand the carrot being thrown now.

Bobby doesnt give a line out option only thing stopping him from being that elite international 6

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Watch a little league not a lot but just saw on 360 that he is actually the best forward in the nrl atm so okay yeah I can understand the carrot being thrown now.

Bobby doesnt give a line out option only thing stopping him from being that elite international 6
He could win the Dally M if he keeps up his form like Taumalolo did a few years back. 80minute Front Rower in League is pretty impressive.

I get the off field issues and I hope part of it was being a young man who’s firey. Sadly some off the issues he’s dealing with at the moment are out of his control in regards to his Mum and the charges she is facing. One positive is that none of his play has dropped at all.

I still think it’s leverage and would cost another Sua'ali'i size contract to get him.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
He could win the Dally M if he keeps up his form like Taumalolo did a few years back. 80minute Front Rower in League is pretty impressive.

I get the off field issues and I hope part of it was being a young man who’s firey. Sadly some off the issues he’s dealing with at the moment are out of his control in regards to his Mum and the charges she is facing. One positive is that none of his play has dropped at all.

I still think it’s leverage and would cost another Sua'ali'i size contract to get him.

His manager has connections to rugby unlike a lot but every manager will be saying from now on that their player is interested in a swap, but hey that just good free publicity for us.

btw I reckon if we have the cash to throw at a nrl fwd Nelson is the one!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
btw I reckon if we have the cash to throw at a nrl fwd Nelson is the one!

Nelson will be 31 for the 2027 RWC, with some of his injuries and high impact play, I’m not sure he will still be standing/playing at a high level by then

Haas is nearly 4 years younger than Nelson, would be absolutely peaking in 2027 if he had a few seasons of rugby already under his belt.