• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Regardless of his banking sector experience, the reality is he is severely under qualified to be the CEO of RA at this time.

Considering RA are about to embark on what could essentially be the last big push to regain top tier sporting relevance in the country as we approach RWC2027, I find it really bizarre they’ve gone with a CEO who’s essentially being picked on potential and already established connections in the game.

In saying that, there will be a lot of factors out of Waugh’s control that will have bare heavily on whether RA are successful or not. Maybe it’s a case of last man standing in terms of his appointment.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Waugh is undercooked for sure. Feels like the appointment of Thorn to the Reds HC.

I can only wish the bloke well. Wonder how he will travel interfacing with SRU etc. If that is an uptick it would be no bad thing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Feels like the appointment of Thorn to the Reds HC. .

In what way? Even now that was somewhat justifiable. He was in the system. Had success. Qld rugby was broke so couldn’t afford a name.

We are about to enter the biggest most critical time in Australian rugby. And they appoint someone who hasn’t CEO’ed and has no sports admin experience. He’s sat on the board of RA sure but his biggest contribution there was he thought banning Beale this year was too harsh.

As Barbarian I think said, this is megalomaniac McClennan getting his way with a yes man which Marinos evidently was not.

And correct, some big things have happened since McLennan has arrived. Two RWCs. Eddie Jones. But I can tell you this- there is still a whole heap of friction with the states particularly around high performance.

The exorbitant dollars thrown at an injury hit Tupou to go to Melbourne and Suallii are purely McLennan. Meanwhile Jones is now talking of leaving this year?

All doesn’t quite sit as well as we think I don’t feel.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
So I have a similar thought on Waugh to the rest but I also do have to ask how do we know he wasn't the best candidate that applied or was asked to apply for the role? I don't know any of the other candidates. Maybe Waugh has a strong vision and was able to articulate that better than others who presented.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So I have a similar thought on Waugh to the rest but I also do have to ask how do we know he wasn't the best candidate that applied or was asked to apply for the role? I don't know any of the other candidates. Maybe Waugh has a strong vision and was able to articulate that better than others who presented.
We don’t - but that’s part of the point. There seems no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that a thorough due diligence was conducted. The board doesn’t have to reveal all of their inner workings. Maybe it’s just not being picked up in the reporting. But it seems very much like McLennan (and others to be fair) got the shits with Marinos and has manoeuvred to remove him and replace him with a person pre-ordained by him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently RA sought out Andrew Fagan, who is significantly better qualitied for the role… but I’m not sure how well his tenure ended at the Adelaide Crows?

Reactions: TSR

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure what's worse, that Waugh was the best candidate we could get or that he was chosen above potentially better credentialled candidates, like some of the sports administrators initially linked with the role.

I guess time will tell how he goes, but it is a pretty uninspiring appointment at a time when there is so much opportunity to shape the future of the game, both here and abroad.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I think he’s a little bit more credentialed than many giving credit for, but equally isn’t as credentialed as I’d like a CEO to be. He’s been extremely influential in his work on the SCG trust board as well. So he’s been on numerous boards, which would indicate CEO is the obvious step for him in some capacity. As with all of us in our roles, you are always under qualified until someone gives you an opportunity.

I’ll reserve judgement till he’s had time in the saddle

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
given the nature of the role, the organisation and key decisions that need to be made over the next 3-4 years I'd prefer someone qualified with experience rather than giving it to someone under qualified an opportunity, even if they have shown promise.

Recruitment like this, from within the network and someone who is a friend of the Chairman suggests they want stability and continuity going forward, rather then someone who might challenge the ideas and concepts that are being put forward.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
One upside I do see is Waugh’s finance background could be beneficial when negotiating any private equity deal.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
RA should be outsourcing a review of the impact of PE and potential growth opportunities generated, even with financial literacy on the board, they should be getting an independent third party to assess. It was previously reported they have outsourced the PE negotiations, but I wonder on what basis those decisions were made.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Rugby Australia should be outsourcing a review of the impact of private equity and potential growth opportunities generated, even with financial literacy on the board, they should be getting an independent third party to assess. It was previously reported they have outsourced the private equity negotiations, but I wonder on what basis those decisions were made.
I would be happier if they considered shares for supporters to raise money rather than selling off the an international highest bidder.