• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
So you are suggesting having less teams than Wales, a nation of barely 3 million people

And 1 more than fucking Italy

Count up the World cups between all the teams you mentioned
This is the arrogance that has contributed to this mornings result.

Rugby is the 4th most popular winter code in this country. We don’t have the interest in the game at the moment to justify 5 teams. We are no better than Wales, Scotland or Ireland.

We need to do better with the talent we have. This means streamlining our pathways and producing professional players that play in strong teams.

Keeping the Force and Rebels alive is nothing more than a goodwill gesture.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Blow it up completely get rid of SRpac, 7 aus sides & the drua. Every 4 years the same old dribble comes. The SRpac style doesn't translate into world rugby anymore.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Blow it up completely get rid of SRpac, 7 aus sides & the drua. Every 4 years the same old dribble comes. The SRpac style doesn't translate into world rugby anymore.
Yep we need to look to grow the game here. Aus fans have little interest in games against the Kiwi sides.

Also there is this narrative that you have to play the kiwis at super level to beat them at international level

How many Bledisloe’s have we won in the last 10 years? 0, how many series has Ireland beat them in 1 all without playing them in a single super rugby game.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
be careful. Rugby Australia is still paying at Folau in instalments ( can you believe). I guarantee we'll be reaching into our pockets to pay him out with millions of dollars that we don't have. let him quit first...
Can he be given a written warning for underperforming/ incompetent performance?

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
So that I get this right...

Under your model, we:
- Create 2 new franchises from the ground.
- Forgo all NZ funding.
- Spread our already thin playing stocks across 7 teams.
- Spread our already thin coaching stocks across 7 teams.
- Pay our top players less money.
- Reduce the quality of our opposition.
- Compete for NRL/AFL viewership without the lure of AB players.

Why not have:
- 3 super teams that play in Super Rugby Pacifika (5 NZ, Drua, Moana)
- Concentrate our talent. Invest in acadamies that actually develop the talent we have.
- Continue to expose our top players to high-quality rugby.
- Monies saved from not running the Force and Rebels be invested into a national club comp.

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
Tinkering with the pro levels is short term thinking. The solution has to be long term. Look at the structure and rules of junior rugby. We have state championships (QLD) where games are limited to 15 and 20 minute halves because there is a limit on total minutes of game time per week. We ignore the public and lower-level private schools. I am connected to several GPS schools as well as CIS and state schools. Look back at the 60's and 70's when we had western Sydney schools playing the game (Punchbowl, East Hills, Birrong, Fairfield, Liverpool, Granville, Parramatta etc) as well as the Eastern and Northen suburbs schools. The Waratah Shield was a prestigious and high-level competition. If we could attract these schools in the amateur era surely we can do so now. We need to rebuild the grass roots with the long term in mind. Short term fixes at the Pro level is just kicking the can down the road.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Tinkering with the pro levels is short term thinking. The solution has to be long term. Look at the structure and rules of junior rugby. We have state championships (QLD) where games are limited to 15 and 20 minute halves because there is a limit on total minutes of game time per week. We ignore the public and lower-level private schools. I am connected to several GPS schools as well as CIS and state schools. Look back at the 60's and 70's when we had western Sydney schools playing the game (Punchbowl, East Hills, Birrong, Fairfield, Liverpool, Granville, Parramatta etc) as well as the Eastern and Northen suburbs schools. The Waratah Shield was a prestigious and high-level competition. If we could attract these schools in the amateur era surely we can do so now. We need to rebuild the grass roots with the long term in mind. Short term fixes at the Pro level is just kicking the can down the road.
I think it's possible to do both and I'd argue it's impossible to make the necessary investments in grassroots rugby without a properly functioning professional set-up.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Under your model, we:
- Forgo all NZ funding.

Why not have:
- Concentrate our talent. Invest in acadamies that actually develop the talent we have.
- Monies saved from not running the Force and Rebels be invested into a national club comp.

So you want to completely loose 2 supporter bases, any future money from selling out the mcg & then instead of just Tuipolotu playing for scotland any future vic or wa kid play for the country of their grand parent. No rebels or force junior development squads shrinks the playing pool of talented juniors coming through.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Waratah shield is back. Hope they stick with it as an avenue for more games.

It’s an entirely separate conversation about Rugby and the State School systems. Rugby is its own worst enemy with the perception of who plays Rugby and how that doesn’t mesh with many inside the walls of various Department of Educations.

I hadn’t heard of the minute restrictions. That’s a hard one to work with but probably means those championships aren’t appropriate.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
So you want to completely loose 2 supporter bases, any future money from selling out the mcg & then instead of just Tuipolotu playing for scotland any future vic or wa kid play for the country of their grand parent. No rebels or force junior development squads shrinks the playing pool of talented juniors coming through.
I hate to break it to you but the MCG didn't sell out due to the Rebels vast successes...

Furthermore, your point about Tuipolotu is also moot, given he is currently playing for Scotland and the Rebels are still playing in Super Rugby.

I'm not saying that we should pull the funding from VIC and WA but rather, I don't believe, at this point in time, they can justify their own franchises.

Their juniors can continue to play together (U16, U18, U20) and any talented players can be placed into a Super Rugby academy.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Under your model, we:
- Forgo all NZ funding.

Why not have:
Everyone in this forum is dumber for reading that post.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I hate to break it to you but the MCG didn't sell out due to the Rebels vast successes...

Furthermore, your point about Tuipolotu is also moot, given he is currently playing for Scotland and the Rebels are still playing in Super Rugby.

I'm not saying that we should pull the funding from VIC and WA but rather, I don't believe, at this point in time, they can justify their own franchises.

Their juniors can continue to play together (U16, U18, U20) and any talented players can be placed into a Super Rugby academy.

this is the dumbest idea anyone has ever posted on this forum