• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
90% of any sport discussion on it revolves around rugby league.
lot of Rugby League mentions lately. Youz guyz seem suspiciously knowledgeable.....

I haven seen a game in 30 years so tuned into a full replay of the Warriors v Broncos match the other day. Nice hawd fawst track, hUGE crowd at Suncorp, hey this looks better than sad old mopey stop/start superstar referee rugby already.

Then they just charge at each other one-off. The tackles and play-the-ball all look totally inaccurate and casual. The ref's whistle NEVER blows. A match takes 80 minutes? The whole thing would take about 83 minutes from start to finish. The game runs itself. They just go up and down, up and down, hit up after hit up.

It was absolute dogshit.

Suncorp is packed to the rafters for this? I gave up after 30 minutes. There seems to be only ONE way to play the game. No tactics, no strategy, a paint-by-numbers etch-a-sketch rendered in still life brain.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
lot of Rugby League mentions lately. Youz guyz seem suspiciously knowledgeable.....

I haven seen a game in 30 years so tuned into a full replay of the Warriors v Broncos match the other day. Nice hawd fawst track, hUGE crowd at Suncorp, hey this looks better than sad old mopey stop/start superstar referee rugby already.

Then they just charge at each other one-off. The tackles and play-the-ball all look totally inaccurate and casual. The ref's whistle NEVER blows. A match takes 80 minutes? The whole thing would take about 83 minutes from start to finish. The game runs itself. They just go up and down, up and down, hit up after hit up.

It was absolute dogshit.

Suncorp is packed to the rafters for this? I gave up after 30 minutes. There seems to be only ONE way to play the game. No tactics, no strategy, a paint-by-numbers etch-a-sketch rendered in still life brain.
So you do get it...

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I keep getting told we're pretty simple up here mate - not sure what they mean by that though

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What's the deal with super rugby pacific? For how long is that commitment in place?

I don't imagine we will see significant changes with the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) or broadcasting details until after RWC 2027.

The hope that Australia will rally behind rugby and embrace the BIL and RWC will remain the mantra of RA for the next 4 years.

If Australia flounder against the BIL and aren't competitive at the home RWC, you'd imagine there will be very little appetite for decent broadcasting deals or even classifying Super Rugby as a professional competition.

No doubt Chairmaster McLennan will be trying to get some type of broadcasting extension in place ASAP that goes past 2027 because chances are there won't be much to salvage after that point.

hawko07

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't imagine we will see significant changes with the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) or broadcasting details until after RWC 2027.

The hope that Australia will rally behind rugby and embrace the BIL and RWC will remain the mantra of Rugby Australia for the next 4 years.

If Australia flounder against the BIL and aren't competitive at the home RWC, you'd imagine there will be very little appetite for decent broadcasting deals or even classifying Super Rugby as a professional competition.

No doubt Chairmaster McLennan will be trying to get some type of broadcasting extension in place ASAP that goes past 2027 because chances are there won't be much to salvage after that point.
This is all pretty dire...

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
OH SHIT, dont look Derpus, oh god too la

3T0BD3.gif

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)

It was absolute dogshit.

That’s a little oversimplified, but I get where you’re coming from …It’s full contact touch compared to Rugby.

I can appreciate Leagues athletes and physicality but yes, the lack of tactics, set pieces and ability to fight for possession does make the game feel a little hollow ..
(strategy is one reason why I enjoy the NFL too) .

A great game of Rugby is the best thing ever, they are few and far between unfortunately, because we are massively let down by law interpretations and pedantic refereeing, which to the causal fan can be extremely frustrating.

Thats where why NRL succeeds.. It very free flowing and easy to understand.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)

It was absolute dogshit.
What about international rugby? England and Wales beat South Hemisphere sides just with a hard defence

Ball carrier is tackled. Ruck and the half back kick the ball away. The opposition jump and take the ball. Tackle, ruck and the half back make a box kick again.

The opposition fullback take the ball in the air and kick as long as he can. The other fullback take and kick the ball again. Tackle, breakdown, box kick.
Tackle, breakdown, box kick
Until someone make ñs a mistake and you take the 3 points

International rugby is not more entertaining than League. Not anymore. Maybe both sucks and we have to be soccer fans lol

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Where do you even start with this mess? We have a comp not fit for purpose, a poor player base, a board that we all want sacked but there isn’t anyone competent that would want the job, ditto with the coaching staff

Honestly, I don’t think there is a way forward. All this talk about cutting super teams is just a knee jerk reaction. It doesn’t matter if we have 1 super team or 50, we can’t even field 23 world class players. How will that change? Grassroots coaching is poor, and all they want to do it find athletes with rugby smarts

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
What about international rugby? England and Wales beat South Hemisphere sides just with a hard defence

Ball carrier is tackled. Ruck and the half back kick the ball away. The opposition jump and take the ball. Tackle, ruck and the half back make a box kick again.

The opposition fullback take the ball in the air and kick as long as he can. The other fullback take and kick the ball again. Tackle, breakdown, box kick.
Until someone make ñs a mistake and you take the 3 points

International rugby is not more entertaining than League. Not anymore. Maybe both sucks and we have to be soccer fans lol
I guess the concept of a live ball at all times keeps the game more unpredictable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In. A. Nutshell.
I don't advocate shrinking our existing Super Rugby teams as a solution, and banging away with the current Super Rugby model in the same form. But while a proper national pro comp (at a lower level to what Super Rugby is now) might be good to boost interest in rugby in Oz, it won't deliver the volume of quality players we need to see the Wallabies at the pointy end.
Why?
Good players will be able to get more money overseas. They'll go, as plenty have now.
Coaches - we don't seem to be producing (and moreover, keeping) enough high level coaches.
Our opposition - if we really believe we can or should be a top 5 team in the world, we cannot start several levels below what they do and expect to keep up with them.
If we go with a national pro comp, which is fine, I think we still need some sort of cross-over comps / series or whatever with NZ teams to keep the bar high.
But I don't have any answers.
The sport I love is fucked (here) and I'm kind of over it.
NZ, South Africa and France are all built on strong domestic competitions (Not sure about Ireland TBH). It's about building from the base first. Yeah I get that it may not be enough in isolation but it is fundamental.

House on sand and all that.

But yeah - its tiring watching them fail and talking about these issues.