• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So by putting forward an ultimatum that is looking unlikely to happen (at least in it's entirety) based on all the comments coming out of the various state unions he sets up his narrative for bowing out?...

doesn’t it look like high performance is happening? That’s all Eddie would care about.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I don't wanna be a dick about it but how is it "unscheduled" when everyone knows it's happening, just not at what time? Seems peculiar, even for EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) and/ or Rugby Australia (still not sure who's presser it actually is).

Scheduled relate to more afl & nrl clubs that have to do 2 media sessions a week & most have a schedule of when they front up.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have been told that despite the criticism of him in the media and on here, the players generally all love him. Both Australian and Argentinian ones. If someone has evidence that disputes that I am all ears.
I don't think it was his passion as much as his brain (rugby) that let him down, the defensive systems he put in place to cover up poor defence by others were a reason we lost so many games ditto Eddie's efforts in the RWC with Koro and others running from one side of the pitch to the other.
See Nick Bishop's analysis of the Wales game on rugby pass.
So that's a NO to Cheika and would in interested in Robbie Deans as long as we park the racist crap against him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think it was his passion as much as his brain (rugby) that let him down, the defensive systems he put in place to cover up poor defence by others were a reason we lost so many games ditto Eddie's efforts in the RWC with Koro and others running from one side of the pitch to the other.
See Nick Bishop's analysis of the Wales game on rugby pass.
So that's a NO to Cheika and would in interested in Robbie Deans as long as we park the racist crap against him.
In defense of both Cheika and Eddie we haven’t seen the same ‘musical chairs’ shit with either the previous England or current Argentina sides. So perhaps the reason for that is that in both those countries the basic skills required to perform at the top level in a particular position are taught properly in the junior programs.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe unpopular idea, certainly has been in the past. Further I have reservations if it would work today, and the longer left the harder to do.

The idea is to create a competition run by investors who own the teams, and the competition, means selling existing teams to investors or existing teams paying some money to play.

Anyone that’s can recall my pleading of the past will understand the systems I like the best is the US franchise systems. The best of which I think is the MLS and the model copied by MLR in the US

Why revisit, especially when I think the time has passed.

Well, if media reports over the last few days are correct, the A-L which on most measures’ lags behind rugby, has sold two licences one to an Auckland based team 20 million paid, and it appears Perth has been sold for 20 million of which WA gov is kicking in 7 million. Canberra has buyers but they appear to be struggling to get the 20 million buy in price.

Again, it comes back to systems and structures, and whether rugby in Australia prepared to separate itself from running the professional competition. However, we now have a working example in MLR.

Link to MLR, tis worth a look, its very young and growing very fast.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So what I’ve heard is he’ll leave if the states don’t agree to centralisation. So the interview his just him covering his bases.

do you reckon the states want him to stay or would be happy to see him go?

It's weird that Eddie thinks he is in a position to issue dictates to the State RUs. My initial thought is generally the the more successful clubs are unlikely to be particularly bothered whether he stays or not. Maybe I'm just mis-applying my own largesse. Some State unions will be keen on assist through pathways, probably everyone except maybe ACT.

It seems to suggest that RA remain bought into Eddie.

If Eddie sees centralisation as a route to Shrink to Greatness 2.0 then I would hope that the States revolt.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
In defense of both Cheika and Eddie we haven’t seen the same ‘musical chairs’ shit with either the previous England or current Argentina sides. So perhaps the reason for that is that in both those countries the basic skills required to perform at the top level in a particular position are taught properly in the junior programs.
Jesus, kob if that's the case then we are truly screwed. If many of our elite players are incapable of tackling and also incapable of a rush D with some smarts, then we are at a point in our game where we HAVE to teach all players the basics as if they have never played the game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Jesus, kob if that's the case then we are truly screwed. If many of our elite players are incapable of tackling and also incapable of a rush D with some smarts, then we are at a point in our game where we HAVE to teach all players the basics as if they have never played the game.
That would be correct. That, and the fact that they turn up to the first national training session not adequately fit, after a full professional season. It is a right royal mess.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Wrong again.

That didn’t happen…

Jake White was overlooked for McKenzie.
In 2013 yes, White & Cheika were the 2 considered by ARU in 2014 after McKenzie stood down.

Jake White always wanted the Wallabies job and he should have got his turn after McKenzie.

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
doesn’t it look like high performance is happening? That’s all Eddie would care about.
Is it?

QRU's position: “Centralisation” would include a national player-contracting model, and alignment of key high-performance staff, such as coaching, strength and conditioning, and medical to operate as one national system.

So players will be nationally contracted, and there would be "alignment" of the rest? Will all the other staff relating to high-performance be employed by RA or QRU? Who do they report into? or is this just IP sharing, continuity and consistency of training/coaching approaches/systems across the franchises?

Is that centralisation? and how do you decouple that from the commerical aspects? centralisation is as much about leveraging resources across your system which simply put involves managing your finances. You loose a lot of the gains of economies of scale by not folding your commercial, marketing, accounting and IT services and all the other duplication which is occuring across the system. You loose a lot of upside without those financial efficiencies which has a flow on effect to the product.

For Ireland, Ireland’s national teams, provincial teams, pathway programs, coaches, CEOs, physios, S&C coaches, dieticians – everyone – are all employees of Irish Rugby.

... anyway, I guess it comes down to "what" centralisation means to Eddie (what he wants) and what the member unions are actually agreeing to when they say they are agreeing to centralisation of high-performance or otherwise.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
You loose a lot of the gains of economies of scale by not folding your commercial, marketing, accounting and IT services and all the other duplication which is occuring across the system. You loose a lot of upside without those financial efficiencies which has a flow on effect to the product.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But, I thought in a cost reduction exercise during covid, RA made redundant a whole heap of the backroom staff like this and wanted to be more reliant on the states who had on the ground staff?

If I was RA, I'd be getting the high performance etc centralisation aspect completed ASAP with a view to revisiting the rest later. Otherwise, you're letting perfect get in the way of good and we'll spend years sorting every single I and T.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have been told that despite the criticism of him in the media and on here, the players generally all love him. Both Australian and Argentinian ones. If someone has evidence that disputes that I am all ears.
Cooper and Higginbotham would say otherwise. Also, some of Drew Michael and To'omua’s comments about how he dropped them on a ‘hunch’ or a ‘just a feeling’ doesn’t feel me with confidence. He’s picking players on gutt feel and not giving guys an explanation or any feedback to work on there games. Not great. Then there’s his tactics or lack thereof, and his stubbornness to not research the opposition. No thanks to Cheika.

Although, I do think he would be the perfect State of Origin coach. He’s probably handy in small doses.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree with this ^^^

Cheika’s spin-the-bottle selection policies were bizarre.
He played favourites with certain players. This included players making their career debut in a new position just so he could pick them.
i have no doubt he’s a great motivational speaker but if that was the main criterion then we could put Obama in the job. Or Mel Gibson maybe.