• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
He will be a DJ Forbes type. Take in 2-3 defenders. Doesn't matter if he doesn't get an offload away as long as you with the ruck it creates space for the others.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

This is a good laugh. They are really searching after the first 2. Isaac Lucas compared to Reece Walsh.... he'd be an inexperienced version of Nikorima at best.

Mack Hansen might die. Kellaway compared to Tedesco... Do they think League fans don't even have the faintest idea... Tom Banks.... What is going on here.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just posted this on Wallabies 2023 thread but think it's important and something I did not know.

Rebel man said:

The push started when I was at school all the do gooder parents complained it was too dangerous. Rugby is completely banned from Victorian schools. You can only have a rugby program if you have a qualified rugby coach as a private equity teacher
Is this true? I have never heard this before. Why are we keeping the Rebels if school officials are destroying their future?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just posted this on Wallabies 2023 thread but think it's important and something I did not know.

Is this true? I have never heard this before. Why are we keeping the Rebels if school officials are destroying their future?
It's not banned, he's saying it's only possible to do if you have an accredited teacher.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)

This is a good laugh. They are really searching after the first 2. Isaac Lucas compared to Reece Walsh.... he'd be an inexperienced version of Nikorima at best.

Mack Hansen might die. Kellaway compared to Tedesco... Do they think League fans don't even have the faintest idea... Tom Banks.... What is going on here.
My favourite is Tongan Thor.

Taniela Tupou - Age: 27 - Position: front row
Current club: Queensland Reds
NRL comparison: Lindsay Collins

The man they call the ‘Tongan Thor’ would need to shed significant weight off his 135kg frame, but Tupou has the skill to be a ball-playing front rower in the NRL.
Tupou has just joined the Melbourne Rebels after 88 games for the Queensland Reds and has also played 51 Tests for the Wallabies.

This reminds me of Tony D'Arcy from Qld Reds to Penrith in 1982

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

What are you talking about? It’s the same in every state. I went to school in QLD and you can’t play league or union unless it’s an organised session, I kinda get it as well, you can’t have kids belting each other unsupervised or someone managing without appropriate practice.

Im almost 40 now, so even going back 25-30yrs if you organised a game of bull rush, it’s quickly disbanded and children pulled aside. Obviously touch is allowed in a lunch time setting. You’d never get either league or union in a HPE session.

Melodramatic reaction.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

The man they call the ‘Tongan Thor’ would need to shed significant weight off his 135kg frame, but Tupou has the skill to be a ball-playing front rower in the NRL.
Tupou has just joined the Melbourne Rebels after 88 games for the Queensland Reds and has also played 51 Tests for the Wallabies.

From memory, Tony D'Arcy didn't go to well in NRL.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
What are you talking about? It’s the same in every state. I went to school in QLD and you can’t play league or union unless it’s an organised session, I kinda get it as well, you can’t have kids belting each other unsupervised or someone managing without appropriate practice.

Im almost 40 now, so even going back 25-30yrs if you organised a game of bull rush, it’s quickly disbanded and children pulled aside. Obviously touch is allowed in a lunch time setting. You’d never get either league or union in a HPE session.

Melodramatic reaction.
Calm down yourself. What is the difference between a supervised game and a qualified rugby coach as a private equity teacher?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
How likely is that to happen? ie how many schools in Melbourne run a rugby team?
It’s the same as in QLD, a lot of private schools offer some form of rugby program (obviously not as serious and minus 1/2 programs no recruitment involved) and almost no public schools offer a team.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Calm down yourself. What is the difference between a supervised game and a qualified rugby coach as a private equity teacher?
There is 0 rugby in qld schools that isn’t supervised by an accredited coach. It’s the same in Vic, I’d say the same in WA, NSW etc.

There is no such thing as a random pick up game allowed of contact sports on a school oval. There is no contact sport offered during physical education lessons. The only rugby offered in any school is a supervised session, it’s standard practice in any school any where in the country. Again it’s a melodramatic reaction from a original wild statement from Rebel, almost deliberately put for shock factor.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Not mentioned in the article but I've seen elsewhere that there is interest in Henry Arundel and interest in the NRL from him. Could absolutely be a contract negotiation ploy, but the flow on from these cap exemption not as talked about is the targeting of foreign union players.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I think they must be taking the piss. He is quite literally the opposite to a comparative player. Only Aaron Woods could be worse.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
There is 0 rugby in qld schools that isn’t supervised by an accredited coach. It’s the same in Vic, I’d say the same in WA, NSW etc.

There is no such thing as a random pick up game allowed of contact sports on a school oval. There is no contact sport offered during physical education lessons. The only rugby offered in any school is a supervised session, it’s standard practice in any school any where in the country. Again it’s a melodramatic reaction from a original wild statement from Rebel, almost deliberately put for shock factor.
Isn't it the entire idea of the 'Smart Rugby' qualification? Every side I've seen from U6s has the coaches go get it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not mentioned in the article but I've seen elsewhere that there is interest in Henry Arundel and interest in the NRL from him. Could absolutely be a contract negotiation ploy, but the flow on from these cap exemption not as talked about is the targeting of foreign union players.
That's an interesting one. Don't know if he fits the mould for a League Winger. Don't get the time and space to create. Jason Robinson style Fullback maybe? I'm sure he's on some good coin at Racing 92.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's an interesting one. Don't know if he fits the mould for a League Winger. Don't get the time and space to create. Jason Robinson style Fullback maybe? I'm sure he's on some good coin at Racing 92.
The big thing with Arundell is that he's only 21 with talents you can't coach, so there would be plenty of coaches interested in seeing what they could do with him. You're probably right about fullback over winger, but that just increases what he can get in league.

The other aspect is the collapse of London Irish has left him outside of the English system and considering his future which is the ideal time to lure him away. Does also make it the ideal time for him to start a bidding war for his signature though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He's a very good option. Wouldn't be smart career length wise with the battering the NRL Wingers can get but if he wants to use it as bargaining go for it. Team GB could use him in the 7s...