• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
They are professionals. If you look at it from a business viewpoint, imagine you are a sales rep in a company that have had shit sales results even though yours were the best, the management are all leaving and all they can offer is a few overseas business trips and in a field that is not booming. Along comes another company that is doing well, stable management, business trips only up and down the east coast, organised management for a bit more money - what would you do !!!

Also say to you current now ex company - get your shit together and we can talk in a few years

PS Business travel is a shit pastime
Did he just become a good sales rep by himself, or did the company spend years investing, coaching and developing him?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
What happens if Mark suffers the infamous Second Year syndrome and Josh Flook continues his excellent form and surpasses Mark in the standings?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
It isnt even remotely machiavellian. There is no conspiring or deception. Hell, he came out and openly said he was considering an offer from the NRL and even went so far as to say it was a hard decision.

Its on RA mate.
On RA how?

Hard decision? This was the easiest decision he’s ever made. Rugby was clearly just a stepping stone for him

It was such a hard decision for him that it took a whole 3 weeks and he’s signing a deal for 2025 while we are still in 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
On RA how?

Hard decision? This was the easiest decision he’s ever made. Rugby was clearly just a stepping stone for him

It was such a hard decision for him that it took a whole 3 weeks and he’s signing a deal for 2025 while we are still in 2023
Mate I have absolutely no sympathy for employers who dont properly value their employees. They can eat shit. Someone else comes along to pay them what they are worth and somehow its the players fault? Grow up.

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Mate I have absolutely no sympathy for employers who dont properly value their employers. They can eat shit. Someone else comes along to pay them what they are worth and somehow its the players fault? Grow up.
Again, how did they not value him? He was offered a fair contact and turned it down

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Again, how did they not value him? He was offered a fair contact and turned it down
What does this mean? And specifically, not some wishy washy nonsense about development time put in or the draw of a BILs tour. He's probably leapfrogged Marika as the Wallabies best winger. He's definitely established himself as being one of the Waratahs top 2 players. There's no possibility that French and Japanese sides haven't reached out with substantial offers. He was unreasonably left out of the Wallabies 23 entirely for the opening RC fixture for a League Winger on big bucks that he's outperformed on every metric, then endured what must have been an emotionally oppressive month at the RWC, through no fault of his own, continuing to be one of the WOBs top performers at all times.

What constitutes a fair contract? What conditions, length and remuneration adequately reflect his overall ability, his track record on the field, and the instability, stress and underperformance of his employer?

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'd say this is the biggest loss to league we've suffered and probably by some margin unless I'm completely forgetting someone. His 2022 spring tour was very impressive. What evidence there is to suggest Suallii (spelling) is going to be better at pro rugby level I do not know.

But you can't blame the kid. He may well be done at 30. Which either means 7 years likely toiling away at NSW not winning anything or playing on games anyone really cares about, maybe getting picked for the wallabies and maybe not. And if so playing in a wallaby team that is just as likely to suck for another generation than not. Probably go thru at least 2 and maybe 3 coaches in that time.

Or he goes to the most popular thing in town. An established competition in which a many people show great interest.

It's already been said but I think for a lot of young men that have grown up in Australia, international travel for rugby, playing in a WC and a BIL tour simply aren't that alluring. A lot of good young rugby players probably watch more league on TV than they do rugby.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
What does this mean? And specifically, not some wishy washy nonsense about development time put in or the draw of a BILs tour. He's probably leapfrogged Marika as the Wallabies best winger. He's definitely established himself as being one of the Waratahs top 2 players. There's no possibility that French and Japanese sides haven't reached out with substantial offers. He was unreasonably left out of the Wallabies 23 entirely for the opening RC fixture for a League Winger on big bucks that he's outperformed on every metric, then endured what must have been an emotionally oppressive month at the RWC, through no fault of his own, continuing to be one of the WOBs top performers at all times.

What constitutes a fair contract? What conditions, length and remuneration adequately reflect his overall ability, his track record on the field, and the instability, stress and underperformance of his employer?
A 4 year contract for over $500,000 a year is a fair contract for a 22 year old with 11 test caps

“Emotionally oppressive month” - What was that you were saying about Hyperbole earlier? If it was that terrible to spend 6 weeks in the south of France playing international Rugby for your nation, he may not enjoy the Sunday afternoon drive to Penrith

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A 4 year contract for over $500,000 a year is a fair contract for a 22 year old with 11 test caps

“Emotionally oppressive month” - What was that you were saying about Hyperbole earlier? If it was that terrible to spend 6 weeks in the south of France playing international Rugby for your nation, he may not enjoy the Sunday afternoon drive to Penrith
Probably is, but if another winger/back is getting paid 3 times that amount with less experience etc hasn't that just made the fair or value of players completely different?
The market value of players was changed with the buying of one league player, so in general players are going to feel that (and for pride's sake) they should be valued in comparison.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd say this is the biggest loss to league we've suffered and probably by some margin unless I'm completely forgetting someone. His 2022 spring tour was very impressive. What evidence there is to suggest Suallii (spelling) is going to be better at pro rugby level I do not know.

But you can't blame the kid. He may well be done at 30. Which either means 7 years likely toiling away at NSW not winning anything or playing on games anyone really cares about, maybe getting picked for the wallabies and maybe not. And if so playing in a wallaby team that is just as likely to suck for another generation than not. Probably go thru at least 2 and maybe 3 coaches in that time.

Or he goes to the most popular thing in town. An established competition in which a many people show great interest.

It's already been said but I think for a lot of young men that have grown up in Australia, international travel for rugby, playing in a WC and a BIL tour simply aren't that alluring. A lot of good young rugby players probably watch more league on TV than they do rugby.
Yep, most young folk can travel the world with Jetstar & Air Asia these days.

The whole travel the world thing says more about rugby's aging fan base than anything else.