• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
This is just making me laugh, for years I have been reading how people want afternoon rugby and now the complaints (Never agreed with it being the better option)

Afternoon rugby was always going to clash with club, it's why Super sides don't want to much of it.

I will end up watching replays, Saturday afternoon is either take up by kids or renovations.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
5:55pm kickoff in Perth, sunset 5:51pm - the aerial shots of the stadium will look amazing.

The afternoon kickoffs worked well for Allianz Stadium in Sydney - was that the Ireland test a few years ago, in the old stadium? - because you can make a day of it around Paddington and surrounds. Not sure that works so well for Homebush.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
5:55pm kickoff in Perth, sunset 5:51pm - the aerial shots of the stadium will look amazing.

The afternoon kickoffs worked well for Allianz Stadium in Sydney - was that the Ireland test a few years ago, in the old stadium? - because you can make a day of it around Paddington and surrounds. Not sure that works so well for Homebush.
Nothing works well for Homebush.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
NRL games out rate the wallabies games, so it’s a simple decision from a tv perspective. The same advertising will likely target a large part of the cross over audience. It would make little sense to have both games clash to maximize their potential spend. These decisions are what drives the money offered in the tv deals.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is just making me laugh, for years I have been reading how people want afternoon rugby and now the complaints (Never agreed with it being the better option)

Afternoon rugby was always going to clash with club, it's why Super sides don't want to much of it.

I will end up watching replays, Saturday afternoon is either take up by kids or renovations.
I am of strong opinion that afternoon rugby is not wanted by tv, why we don't get it. I also understand clubs wouldn't be keen either. But tv is main reason, even here in NZ when club stuff has finished NPC is played at night.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

So dumb.

RA has no clue who butters their bread. Who do you think are most likely to attend an international rugby match in afternoons? It’s not the general public (rugby is niche in this country)

it’s the stalwarts of club rugby who would buy tickets and pay for overpriced beers.

RA given me no choice - but to support club rugby that afternoon. Until the wallabies play with a bit of pride and excellence in that green and gold jersey then you can find me at my local club supporting the next generation of footballers.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure, but my understanding is the central contracts appear under the IRFU books, not the provincial books

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417-080723.png
    Screenshot_20240417-080723.png
    449.5 KB · Views: 21

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd say there is a high chance of that and/or Sunday games. Friday nights also now an option at most grounds.

yeah don’t think so.

lot of rugby clubs up here either have really strong junior programs who have use of ovals at night or their facilities are not up to scratch for Friday night footy due to lux brightness issues (lot of clubs have rectified this - but I believe some still haven’t done it)

Sunday is interesting. Some clubs with Anzac war memorials have played games on Sunday - but I can’t remember last time there was a league wide “let’s change to Sunday” again there’s issue with junior rugby clubs that the senior programs need to account for

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Any chance they just play the club games earlier like they used to in the good old days when there was a big afternoon rep match on?

You've obviously never had the fun of playing 4th grade. We were blessed taking the dew off the ground most winter mornings, now you want to shift games to be even earlier?

May as well just roll straight from Friday night drinks to the rugby ground at this rate!!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
You've obviously never had the fun of playing 4th grade. We were blessed taking the dew off the ground most winter mornings, now you want to shift games to be even earlier?

May as well just roll straight from Friday night drinks to the rugby ground at this rate!!
I played almost all of my rugby in Brisbane until a fateful tour to NZ where we played a game at 10am with frost still on the ground.

They beat us by 60 points. None of us soft Queenslanders wanted to go anywhere near that ice!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
At the end of the day I am sure the clubs will work out the most suitable approach and schedule their games accordingly. Re Friday nights I was thinking more of the Sydney clubs I have to confess, although the game is in Brisbane I am sure the Shute first graders would like to watch it.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I played almost all of my rugby in Brisbane until a fateful tour to NZ where we played a game at 10am with frost still on the ground.

They beat us by 60 points. None of us soft Queenslanders wanted to go anywhere near that ice!

Just needed the sweet comforting embrace of the horizontal driving sleet for the complete low level NZ rugger bugger experience.