• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It was more a tongue in cheek commentary around how the NRL understands their showpiece event needs to be the focal point of viewership and ensure everyone can watch.

Whereas rugby don’t seem to care about catering to their core audience.
I realise that but I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that by the time August 10th comes around this will be a non issue. The clubs will make their own arrangements to fit in with the timing of the Test and it won't make one bit of difference to the players whether they are playing at 1pm instead of the regular time slot. I'm going to make a point of having a look at what everyone is doing in the week prior and I suspect the amount of whingeing about it will be minimal. Until then I'm just going to forget about it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It was more a tongue in cheek commentary around how the NRL understands their showpiece event needs to be the focal point of viewership and ensure everyone can watch.

Whereas rugby don’t seem to care about catering to their core audience.

You keep saying this as though anyone who isn't attending QPR on a Saturday isn't rugby's core audience. What's the total audience of QPR crowds/players, 4k-6k across 4 games?

In my circle of rugby supporters who spend more money than we should on Reds/Wallabies merch and tickets, none of them are attending QPR matches. It was the same in Sydney; out of my rugby mates, none of them attended the Shute Shield and found it hard to engage with the comp, and yet the Shute Shield fanatics act as though the game revolves around them.

Yeah, the timing sucks definitely, but those attending the QPR aren't the only rugby fans in Brisbane.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Core audience is probably the wrong terminology.

It is frustrating that grassroots players/supporters etc. who clearly enjoy rugby are left needing to choose between supporting their club vs the Wallabies.

Honestly my frustrations are more due to the fact that the new administration seemed to have this plan for grassroots and supporting them etc. and this seems to be against that philosophy if we are bridging the gap between those levels of the game.

Anyway I am happy to not bring it up again until August when I'll rev it back up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You keep saying this as though anyone who isn't attending QPR on a Saturday isn't rugby's core audience. What's the total audience of QPR crowds/players, 4k-6k across 4 games?

In my circle of rugby supporters who spend more money than we should on Reds/Wallabies merch and tickets, none of them are attending QPR matches. It was the same in Sydney; out of my rugby mates, none of them attended the Shute Shield and found it hard to engage with the comp, and yet the Shute Shield fanatics act as though the game revolves around them.

Yeah, the timing sucks definitely, but those attending the QPR aren't the only rugby fans in Brisbane.
It's just the worst.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Core audience is probably the wrong terminology.

It is frustrating that grassroots players/supporters etc. who clearly enjoy rugby are left needing to choose between supporting their club vs the Wallabies.

Honestly my frustrations are more due to the fact that the new administration seemed to have this plan for grassroots and supporting them etc. and this seems to be against that philosophy if we are bridging the gap between those levels of the game.

Anyway I am happy to not bring it up again until August when I'll rev it back up.
Just postpone the round and push everything back a week. It’s not that hard, there is a lot more consequences for rugby in Australia if the tv provider isn’t happy than some club to push things back a week. I play touch footy and they cancel all the time for weather, it just gets pushed back a week so nobody misses out and they are looking at hundreds of participants impacted on the day. They are all non for profit entities so if they are operated correctly shouldn’t have any consequences for doing so. One culture rugby does have at an exceptional level in this country is a culture of grievance.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
It’s not just club rugby being impacted - it’s also schoolboy rugby being impacted by an afternoon test match.

Anyways let’s see how the inconvenienced schoolboy rugby competitions along with qpr are impacted by this decision. If they can find a date/time/location so no one misses out then golden

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)

“Shute shield fantastics” … well that pretty much sums up the upside down pyramid attitude, that is Australian rugby .
No other sport would be so arrogant and dismissive to the grassroots and literal foundation of the sport in the country… lol … enjoy your sinking ship

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)

Spot on!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
“Shute shield fantastics” … well that pretty much sums up the upside down pyramid attitude, that is Australian rugby .
No other sport would be so arrogant and dismissive to the grassroots and literal foundation of the sport in the country… lol … enjoy your sinking ship

LOL.

This pretty accurately sums up what people like Adam84 mean when they refer to Shute Shield fanatics.

It would seem that instead of seeing it as a pyramid the Shute Shield fanatics view it as a circle with themselves smack bang in the middle.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
LOL.

This pretty accurately sums up what people like Adam84 mean when they refer to Shute Shield fanatics.

It would seem that instead of seeing it as a pyramid the Shute Shield fanatics view it as a circle with themselves smack bang in the middle.
True .. grassroots rugby should be grateful for the scraps they’ve been given …

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Try being over in WA.

Most test matches in NZ clash directly with the end of Prems games here. Any Wallabies game that starts before 8 pm Eastern will cash with the end of Prems games. We just roll with it - you do see the crowd disappear into the clubhouse and you know who is doing well in the test by which group come back to the sideline of Prems.

WA rugby has usually been accommodating when tests and super clash with club rugby. This week we have a 5:45 Super game with all club games moved an hour early. We usually get a general bye in the Test Match weeks

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s not just club rugby being impacted - it’s also schoolboy rugby being impacted by an afternoon test match.

Anyways let’s see how the inconvenienced schoolboy rugby competitions along with qpr are impacted by this decision. If they can find a date/time/location so no one misses out then golden
Only some schoolboy, comps like AIC are well and truly done by then

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Claiming the Shute Shield is the “literal foundation of the sport in this county” is a little fanatical though.

Shute Shield doesn’t represent all grassroots in this country, and some would argue it’s arrogant to suggest it does when 99.9% of grassroots rugby players in Australia don’t even play in the Shute Shield.

It plays an important part absolutely, but grassroots in australia is far bigger than the 10 SS/QPR games played at 3pm on a Saturday.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This is the most ridiculous discussion ever. Can't wait for the games to start so the Wallabies arvo game isn't destroying grassroots rugby.....

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Claiming the Shute Shield is the “literal foundation of the sport in this county” is a little fanatical though.

Shute Shield doesn’t represent all grassroots in this country, and some would argue it’s arrogant to suggest it does when 99.9% of grassroots rugby players in Australia don’t even play in the Shute Shield.

It plays an important part absolutely, but grassroots in australia is far bigger than the 10 SS/QPR games played at 3pm on a Saturday.
I was talking about club rugby as a collective
Being the foundation, including Shute shield .

But let’s go with ur narrative… Shute shield contains the oldest clubs in the country … dance around the wording all you want but those clubs r the literal foundation …

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It doesn't even really represent much of grassroots rugby in Sydney.

In fact it is actively harmful to large sections of grassroots rugby in Sydney.
The fuck is grassroots supposed to mean? I figure its supposed to mean ordinary fluffybunnys like me who want to rock up for a run out, literally shart on their first hit up and then punch a few beeros afterwards. Maybe I'm wrong about that but that isn't what club rugby is.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
It doesn't even really represent much of grassroots rugby in Sydney.

In fact it is actively harmful to large sections of grassroots rugby in Sydney.
Would love to hear you expand on that thought. Is it the consolidation with too many tiers of grade and colts rugby at certain clubs?