• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The teams to play NZ Schools have been announced

Australian Schools vs NZ Schools
Saturday the 8th October 2011
Knox Grammar - Wahroonga
Kickoff: 12.45pm

Alan Ala'alatoa (N1)
Alan Faalavau (Vic)
Alex Northam (N1)
Andrew Robinson (ACT)
Cameron Clark (NSW)
Curtis Browning (Q1)
Fa’atausili Lafaitele (Q2)
Feao Fotuaika (Q1)
Feleti Kaituu (Q1)
Harry Rorke (N2)
Isaiah Mosese (WA)
Jack Debreczeni (N1)
Jake McIntyre (CS)
Jim Stewart (N1)
Maile Ngauamo (Q1)
Manasa Rokusuka (N1)
Mark Baldwin (CS)
Michael Wells (N1)
Pattowa Paraka (Q1)
Scott Malolua (Q1)
Sean McMahon (Q1)
Waldo Wessels (N1)
Will Miller (CS)

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Australian Schools "A" vs NZ Schools
Tuesday the 4th October 2011
St Marys Stadium - St Marys
Kickoff: 7.00pm
Billy Brittain (Q2)
Campbell Wakely (Q1)
Corey Thomas (WA)
Craig Hunt (Q1)
Ephraim Lesa (VIC)
Gordon Broome (N1)
Harry Scoble (WA)
James Catterson (N2)
Jock Merriman (N2)
Jonothan Vaux (N2)
Lachlan Duncan (Q2)
McKenzie Kulen (CS)
Mitch Whiteley (N1)
Nathan Roye (N2)
Nathan Scarano (N1)
Patrick McCarthy (WA)
Richard Hardwick (WA)
Saia Tanginoa (N1)
Sam Johnson (Q1)
Scott Tolmie (WA)
Tautala Tasi (CS)
Terrin Walls (Q1)
Tom Staniforth (ACT)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So the movements are:

Players for Oz Schools v. England
:
Not named in either team:
8 Caleb Timu (Marsden SHS)
10 David Horwitz (The Scots College)
13 Brogan Roods (Newington College)
16 Benjamin Lawley (Knox Grammar School)

Switched to Oz A Schools:
14 Saia Tanginoa (Prairewood HS)
15 Craig Hunt (St Joseph’s Nudgee College)
17 Harry Scoble (Wanneroo SHS)
19 Corey Thomas (Guildford Grammar School)

Players for Oz A Schools v England:
Not named in either team:
1 Tom Moloney St Josephs College Nudgee QLD
19 Scott Mains Villanova College QLD
22 Grant Davies Brisbane Grammar School QLD

Switched to Oz Schools:
2 Fa’atausili Lafaitele Victoria Point Sports HS QLD
4 Harry Rorke St Ignatius College NSW
10 Jack Debreczeni Trinity Grammar School NSW
13 Andrew Robinson St Mary McKillop School ACT

New Players:
Oz Schools
Cameron Clark (NSW)
Isaiah Mosese (WA)
Manasa Rokusuka (N1)
Pattowa Paraka (Q1)

Oz A Schools
Billy Brittain (Q2)
McKenzie Kulen (CS)
Tom Staniforth (ACT)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Notes to above post:

Players not named in either team: These players could be injured or not available for other reasons such as studying for end of year exams; so it doesn't necessarily mean that they have been dropped.

Players moving from Oz Schools to Oz A Schools: If the players on the list had numbers 1 to 15, it is definitely a demotion. But if they had numbers 16 to 23 it could be a promotion. IIRR the reserves for Oz Schools were rated below the starters for Oz A Schools – the same as in NSW and Qld Schools teams. Also IIRR, they were rated below the reserves for Oz A Schools.

The problem in making an assessment of promotions and demotions is that the lists provided do not separate the starters and reserves for the two sides. Invariably one does not know these details until one buys a programme on match day.

Players moving from Oz A Schools to Oz Schools: Again, it depends on whether or not they end up playing in the starting XV. If they do, it is a promotion for sure. If they become reserves for Oz Schools and my contention that all Oz A players are ranked higher than Oz Schools reserves is correct, then it is a demotion.

Other notes:
• It is a pity that star schools player CFS is not named, which means he won't have played any school “tests” this year. He could have set the record for schools players for starting in test matches – i.e. without one game in the reserves or for Oz A. His hamstring injury must have been worse than we thought.

• The selection of locks Rokusuka and Rorke for Oz Schools and the non-selection of Timu means that Wells will be free to play at no. 8, his best position.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Where does Domkins figure in all this?
Thought he was selected in Oz schools originally?

Dombkins was ruled out of the England game after having some minor knee surgery after dislocating it during the Endeavour high v Auggies Waratah Shield game. He attended the camp fully fit and was playing quite strongly in the sunday session when he was cleaned out of a ruck and landed on his wrist. X-rays later revealed he had fractured a bone in his wrist and was ruled unfit for the NZ game. it has not been a good period for the player after getting injured in the schools championship final, missing the Waratah Shield final and the two tests. hope he goes well in senior footy next year

Of the other players Timu has signed with the Broncos and they would not allow him to play in the NZ test. Horwitz, Roods and Lawley are ruled unfit due to some minor injuries that won't be right by the time the test comes around

U

Upright

Good luck to all these boys who have this opportunity to finish their schoolboy footy on such a good note, I hope they do well. Looking at the teams though it will be interesting to see where Sydney Uni will go to poach their usual numbers for next season as a quick look shows that most are already well linked and playing Colts with their district clubs - Alaalatoha, Debreczeni, Tanginoa - West Harbour, Northam- Manly, Rorke,Wells,Broome, Scrano, Clark - Gordon, Rokosuka - Woodies, Wessells - Southern, Vaux - Norths leaving only Stewart Whitely and Merriman as not linked to a grade club from their junior footy.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Whiteley-once a Gordon junior
Stewart-once a Warringah junior
Merriman-?

Doesn't mean Uni won't find a way to entice players to Broadway.

I

inudys

Caterson - Sydney University Junior is in his 3rd year of colts. Believe playing in
2nd colts grand final on Sunday.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Whiteley-once a Gordon junior
Stewart-once a Warringah junior
Merriman-?

Doesn't mean Uni won't find a way to entice players to Broadway.

I think that Stewart and Whiteley are still at school next year. What about the players who were unavailable because of injury - Horwitz, Dombkins,Roods and Lawley

N

no_name12

I think Oz Schools are really going to miss Dombkins work rate, the kid has just had some bad luck as i was looking forward to watching him after watching him tear up ISA div 1. The inclusion of Rokusuka and Rorke won't replace what Dombkinsboughtto that team and i thought Corey Thomas should have been there as Rokusuka is lazy.

But the rest of the team sounds right lets hope they put in a better performance

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that Stewart and Whiteley are still at school next year. What about the players who were unavailable because of injury - Horwitz, Dombkins,Roods and Lawley

According to one of the Junior Jarses, Brogan Roods is in his last year at Newington.

Also the same source tells me that he has had a horror run with injuries recently. Apparently he copped a badly smashed up face in the England Test, and in the last couple of years he has missed a stack of rugby with a shoulder reconstruction and a broken jaw.

Junior claims that Brogan was selected for Aust A in 2010 but missed playing for them due to injury.

RugbyNut101

Peter Burge (5)
Notes to above post:

Players not named in either team: These players could be injured or not available for other reasons such as studying for end of year exams; so it doesn't necessarily mean that they have been dropped.

Players moving from Oz Schools to Oz A Schools: If the players on the list had numbers 1 to 15, it is definitely a demotion. But if they had numbers 16 to 23 it could be a promotion. IIRR the reserves for Oz Schools were rated below the starters for Oz A Schools – the same as in NSW and Qld Schools teams. Also IIRR, they were rated below the reserves for Oz A Schools.

The problem in making an assessment of promotions and demotions is that the lists provided do not separate the starters and reserves for the two sides. Invariably one does not know these details until one buys a programme on match day.

Players moving from Oz A Schools to Oz Schools: Again, it depends on whether or not they end up playing in the starting XV. If they do, it is a promotion for sure. If they become reserves for Oz Schools and my contention that all Oz A players are ranked higher than Oz Schools reserves is correct, then it is a demotion.

Other notes:
• It is a pity that star schools player CFS is not named, which means he won't have played any school “tests” this year. He could have set the record for schools players for starting in test matches – i.e. without one game in the reserves or for Oz A. His hamstring injury must have been worse than we thought.

• The selection of locks Rokusuka and Rorke for Oz Schools and the non-selection of Timu means that Wells will be free to play at no. 8, his best position.

I don't know where you get your information but the 23 selected for Aus Schools are the top rated 23 players. Every player selected in the side (whether starting or on the bench) is ranked higher than there Aus A counterpart. Every move from Aus Schools to Aus A is a demotion and every move from Aus A to Aus Schools is a promotion.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Good luck to all these boys who have this opportunity to finish their schoolboy footy on such a good note, I hope they do well. Looking at the teams though it will be interesting to see where Sydney Uni will go to poach their usual numbers for next season as a quick look shows that most are already well linked and playing Colts with their district clubs - Alaalatoha, Debreczeni, Tanginoa - West Harbour, Northam- Manly, Rorke,Wells,Broome, Scrano, Clark - Gordon, Rokosuka - Woodies, Wessells - Southern, Vaux - Norths leaving only Stewart Whitely and Merriman as not linked to a grade club from their junior footy.

Roods to Randwick

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't know where you get your information but the 23 selected for Aus Schools are the top rated 23 players. Every player selected in the side (whether starting or on the bench) is ranked higher than there Aus A counterpart. Every move from Aus Schools to Aus A is a demotion and every move from Aus A to Aus Schools is a promotion.

You are probably right, but with the 2 NSW and 2 Qld Schools teams it is the other way around. and the reserves for the Ones teams are the lowest ranked players. I did add "IIRR". I'll ask the Oz Schools officials on matchday just to confirm.

The rationale behind why the state sides do that is that selectors want to see the best flyhalves, for example, play most of the rugby in the week, so the second best guy starts for the Twos - and so on through the positions in the two teams. Why the best reserves play for the Twos and not the Ones is probably because they want to even the teams out a bit - I suppose.

Maybe that confused me but I thought some official told me that Oz Schools did the same thing - so that the 2nd ranked flyhalf, for example and not the 3rd ranked, ran the Oz A backline. Obviously I am wrong about that.

Up until 2008, again IIRR, they used to choose just 15 for the Oz Schools Ones and 23 for Oz A for domestic matches. They would play the Oz A game earlier in the week and the 8 best players in the Oz A team, give or take allowing for the balance of the 1st XV, would be on the bench for the test match.

Banger

Frank Nicholson (4)
I believe Aust Schools are 1 - 23 and Australia A are 24 - 46. Yes in previous years there have been different structures and yes Q1 are 1-15 then Q2 16- 30, bench for 1's is 31-38 and 2's bench is 39-46. Hope we can beat NZ schools. Some very close matches over the past few years.

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Maybe that confused me but I thought some official told me that Oz Schools did the same thing - so that the 2nd ranked flyhalf, for example and not the 3rd ranked, ran the Oz A backline. Obviously I am wrong about that.

Up until 2008, again IIRR, they used to choose just 15 for the Oz Schools Ones and 23 for Oz A for domestic matches. They would play the Oz A game earlier in the week and the 8 best players in the Oz A team, give or take allowing for the balance of the 1st XV, would be on the bench for the test match.

I read your comments with interest Lee, but yep, this time you are wrong.

RugbyNut101

Peter Burge (5)
Would anyone who saw either or both the Aus and Aus A game like to comment on weather Horwitz, Roods, Lawley and Timu would of kept there spots in the team if available. And also comment on there thoughts apon the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.