• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

diwi10

Stan Wickham (3)
53-11 NZ Schools. NZ play a really fast game and spread the ball through the backs quite well. Oz A played good in patches. Some bad options were costly.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Aus number 10 looked good with time and space but seemed to suffer from poor decision making and the fumbles when pressured.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was another disappointing game from Oz A Schools. Not only were they not good enough as in their first game against England U/18, but also they didn't come back at their opponents as they did after oranges the last time. The first half ended 27-8 and the 2nd half score was 26-3 to make it 53-11.

It was 7 tries to 1 and that was a good indication of the individual skill, pace, power, technique, desire to win the ball, pace of playing the game, defence, fitness, passion and rugby nous of the two teams. Yet some of the Kiwi bench players will be starting in the test on Saturday.

They were much better at skullduggery too. In the 1st half before a couple of tries were scored young Kiwis ran a metre or two “accidentally” in front of a ball carrier bumping an Aussie coming in at an angle off his line of tackle I said to a Kiwi official close to me. “That was a McCall special.” He just wriggled back in his seat smiling smugly in appreciation of the act. To be fair, it was well done.

Well, maybe some skills were lacking by the visitors: early on a couple of their players hogged the ball with players outside them
and some other times they dropped the ball close to the Oz goal line. They left 2 or 3 tries on the park.

They had some fine players including 8. Savea the skipper and brother of the 2010 IRB U/20 player of the year and 3 marauding back 3 players who hit the ball with speed at gaps they had aimed for. Also watch this space on 10. Hickey who is a deadly goal kicker and looks like a future big match player.

It was like a home game for the Kiwis. There were a lot of them at the ground and the Oz crowd didn't have a lot to cheer about.

This is a negative report on the young Aussies and I wish it was not. You could see they were trying their best but they were outplayed by better players. In particular they had trouble putting the Kiwis on the ground, so good was their leg drive and balance, and they were late to the ruck time after time, even at their own rucks, and whereas the Kiwis drove past the ball the Aussies stopped at it.

There were a whole lot of good actions by individual Aussies, but to go through the team and say who was good and who was bad for this 5 minutes and that 5 minutes is like saying who swam best or worst when the Titanic went down.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I fell a bit mean now reading that.

As LT said: 10 Vaux looked good at times when Oz got good ball which was seldom, and can't he hoof the ball down the field when he has to - which was often, because there were many times that he had to field the ball with most of his team mates in front of him.

12. Johnson was able to use his no-passing skills as he scored the Aussie's only try. Kiwis hung off him knowing he was going to pass but he didn't, as those who saw the first Oz A game foresaw.

There were good bits of play from others like 8.Tasi on a couple of leg drive runs, and from one who took my eye - reserve hooker Wakely who is a goer and is in everything.

In the 2nd half some of the bench players ran on and one guy looked familiar. Crikey, it was Jack Tuttle the star of the U/16 tournament last week. He played at outside centre and didn't get the ball much in attacking play, which didn't surprise, but he brought down a couple of Kiwis who charged into him and he landed on his back still holding onto to them.

Not the last time we we see him in a gold jersey methinks.

Bill McLean (32)
I concur!

That was another disappointing game from Oz A Schools. Not only were they not good enough as in their first game against England U/18, but also they didn't come back at their opponents as they did after oranges the last time ... Also watch this space on 10, Hickey who is a deadly goal kicker and looks like a future big match player ... It was like a home game for the Kiwis. There were a lot of them at the ground and the Oz crowd didn't have a lot to cheer about.

Lee,

your summation of the game is perfect!

And Simon Hickey, what a truly gifted player. His performance was almost flawless ... A bold prediction; I believe we will see him at the 2015 RWC (or in an AB jersey before then)!

Your right about the Number Eight too; he is built like a Mack truck with double the speed. I believe he is the captain of the NZ team; his performance in leading the Haka was a sight to behold. I have it on good authority that a certain NRL clubs will be making some serious offers for him to convert! There was one particular NRL recruitment manager that was there tonight. He has an excellent reputation for identifying talent and is known to raid the prodigious junior rugby ranks! Surprisingly, he was wearing Newcastle Knights livery tonight which leads me to believe that he is no longer in the employ of the Canterbury Bulldogs!

Other NZ players that caught my eye were the 11 (particularly in the first half) and the 12 (talk about devastating runs).

For the Oz boys I think Staniforth the #4 can hold his head high. He was in the thick of it all night and niggled very well! Same with Hooker, Scobie, and Inside Centre who both put their bodies on the line on numerous occassions!

Finally my heart goes out to Vaux, the #10 (from Riverview). He needs to take tonight's game and bury it deep inside his 'Hurt Locker'. He is a better player than what tonights performance would otherwise suggest. He came up against a 'Super Star' tonight and I believe he will be better off for the experience.

Australia look out this NZ team is a 'LEAN MEAN RUGBY MACHINE'.

Regards,

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I have heard that the Oz Schools V NZ Schools game will be broadcast on Fox. Does anyone have any info on this

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Anyone shed some more light on Tom Staniforth? I noticed a little above (cheers Newbie).

He has been in our development program for a while now, top attitude to training and very affable outside it. As a year 11, plenty of potential - should be great working with him over the summer.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Aus number 10 looked good with time and space but seemed to suffer from poor decision making and the fumbles when pressured.

I disagree. I felt the kid was disappointing. Granted he was behind a pack that got owned, and left him without too much front foot ball, but I felt when the time came to get them moving he didnt seize the moment

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
the guys that impressed me from the kiwis were obviously the 10, but enough has been said about him, the 5 was good but was replaced very soon after oranges, the 7 was outstanding but the 15 for me was electric. He had jet boots, great handling skills and ran some fantastic supporting lines off the 10 and 12.
The kid who came on wearing 17 and played tighthead for last 20 was also impressive at scrum time.....got a feeling he might start on saturday.

Interestingly, of the whole squad of 24, 23 of them are from the north island. And they actually had some kids in there who are from the two traditional league schools, Onehunga and Otahuhu. So NZRU might be looking at leaguies which is interesting. The sole kid for the south island was the 12, from Otago. And he was good.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
the guys that impressed me from the kiwis were obviously the 10, but enough has been said about him, the 5 was good but was replaced very soon after oranges, the 7 was outstanding but the 15 for me was electric. He had jet boots, great handling skills and ran some fantastic supporting lines off the 10 and 12.
The kid who came on wearing 17 and played tighthead for last 20 was also impressive at scrum time.....got a feeling he might start on saturday.

Interestingly, of the whole squad of 24, 23 of them are from the north island. And they actually had some kids in there who are from the two traditional league schools, Onehunga and Otahuhu. So NZRU might be looking at leaguies which is interesting. The sole kid for the south island was the 12, from Otago. And he was good.

what positons did/do the kids from the league schools play?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Strange - nobody from Christchurch Boys High, a rugby schools powerhouse.

Agree about the 17. I had 3 ticks by his name and the word "Monster", but forgot to mention him.

Most of the reserves in the midweek game when the Kiwis play two games on tour are the nominated starters for the "test" match; so I will expect him to start tomorrow.

what positons did/do the kids from the league schools play?

One was a winger and the other was a reserve (I'm not sure where he played, but obviously was a back from his 22 jersey number.)

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Saturday, 8th October 12:45pm on Fox Sports 3 (Knox)

Was mentioned on The Rugby Club tonight

Yes- the game/location was mentioned on THe Rugby Club on Thursday night but I don't recall mention of any telecast.

HOWEVER seeing Fox Sports have more than passing interest with Cam (son of Greg) Clark named in Australian 22 it would not surprise that game is recorded and shown later on.
THe big question would appear to be whether Clarkie will do flying trip to & from Sydney to watch the game- perhaps he can be excused from normal BBQ duty this time!

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The game is to be shown on Fox following a reciprocal agreement they have with NZ TV who telecast the Schoolboys matches in NZ

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
According to Foxtel guide app on my phone, and on the Foxtel website, Fox Sports 3 at 12:00 tomorrow will be RWC 1999 Classic SF AUS v SAF, and 13:30 will be 1999 Classic Final AUS v FRA switching to Live RWC Centre at 15:00.

If they are showing the schoolboy test tomorrow, the fox sports 3 programming people havent been told, or haven't updated their guide.

Banger

Frank Nicholson (4)
I doubt that the telecast will be live. (Would be lovely if it was). I think they were just advertising when the game is on. They normally show it a few weeks later and repeat it a couple of times. I would love it if it was live so I hope you are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.