• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Tom Cusack is injured and wont be available to lead the ACT side. In saying this, i wonder if he will still get a run in the Australian side after he did start last year (they did it with Colby Fiangaa a few years back).

Players who may be in with a shot for Aus Selection from ACT are Michael and Dean Oakman Hunt (back rowers, played Aus Presidents last year), Andrew Robinson and Rob Gillespie.

N

no_name12

There have been strong performances from last years Aus schoolboys here in NSW, How have the likes of Browning, F'Sautia, Davies, Swaan and Nguliamo went so far?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Browning- Consistent and strong when he's been fit. Had a battle with injury that's kept him out of a few games but is still a standout forward in the competition and his presence on the field lifts the State High boys. Solid captain and difference maker, has shown his class against quality opposition. Should walk straight into Oz Schools at 4/5, may face serious opposition and fitness problems if he goes for 6/7/8. Chance of selection again: 10/10

F'Sautia- Only played a few early games at the start of the season, wasn't a standout but certainly made a difference to the backline. Since losing him to injury the team has lacked flair in attack and defence. By all reports will be back in the picture after the holidays. Missed selection for GPS, but is one of the only boys competing for the QLD 13 jersey. Should make it on ability and talent alone, the fitness will come later. 9.5/10

Davies- Poor year for the heartbeat of the Grammar team. All others around him seem to have lifted but he hasn't really done anything too special. Not sure where the problem lies but the selectors have little faith and thus he's benching for GPS 2. Has been outplayed by Brittain (NC) but this may be due to low protection from the Grammar forwards. Would be surprised to see him make Oz schools again based on form, will need to play out of his skin in trial games and have his competitors falter. 2/10

Swann- Another underperforming player. Was kept out of the 1st XV for the first 3 games due to concussion. Came back in and hasn't made too bigger difference, selectors are showing faith by having him run on for GPS 2. Still has the ability, maybe lacking some matchtime and fitness as he can't seem to get on the field without picking up an injury or getting taken off. Darkhorse in my eyes, he will struggle to make QLD 1 against the likes of Satui (NC), Timu (MSHS), Mitchell (ACGS), Tasi (IGS) but he's proven himself at this level so I'm not writing him of yet. 4/10

Nguaumo- One of Ipswich's better players. Has been solid at scrumtime, menacing in attack and defence. Certainly showing ominous signs and has been in very good form. Certainly should be in the Oz Schools jersey based on what I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to miss a beat. Under a bit of pressure from Wakely (TSS) for the Qld spot but those two look likely to be the first choice schoolboy hookers in the country. 9.5/10

N

no_name12

Quote: Under a bit of pressure from Wakely (TSS) for the Qld spot but those two look likely to be the first choice schoolboy hookers in the country.

Well there arn't any in NSW thats been a standout

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
well Nguaumo was #2 and Wakely was #16 for Aus Schools last year. You'd think they will both make it again on form

D

Doc

well Nguaumo was #2 and Wakely was #16 for Aus Schools last year. You'd think they will both make it again on form

Wakley wasn't. Nguaumo and Ready were the Aus Hookers from QLD. Not saying he won't this year.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wakely was bench for QLD 1, Ready was #2 for QLD 2. Always thought Wakely got the bench spot for Aus Schools.

R

Ralto

Isaiah Mosesse

What about Isiah Mosesse from perth (originally from nudgee college). Already playing Western Force A and is only 17, he'd have to be a shoe in for fullback

He is in Perth playing Premier Grade (1st Grade) at Wests Subiaco, scoring plenty, Robbie Deans and Richard Graham, and a few others turned up at Wests a few weeks ago to have a look at him and another (Chance Peni). Both are sevens candidates also.

Gary Neugebauer the Australian Schoolboys prop for the 2010 NZ tour player for Associates in the same mathc

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's unclear what you said. Probably you were saying that although they won't change players between the Ones and the Twos, they will change the starting XV of both teams from day to day, picking their best in the main games.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tom Cusack is injured and wont be available to lead the ACT side. In saying this, i wonder if he will still get a run in the Australian side after he did start last year (they did it with Colby Fiangaa a few years back).

Players who may be in with a shot for Aus Selection from ACT are Michael and Dean Oakman Hunt (back rowers, played Aus Presidents last year), Andrew Robinson and Rob Gillespie.

Whats happened to Cusack? How long is he out for? What position does Gillespie play?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Chris F'Sautia hasn't trialled for QLD, didn't make the GPS sides and has been injured for the last few weeks. Something tells me the australian selectors don't just overlook previous players, as he is still basically walking into the team.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Chris F'Sautia hasn't trialled for QLD, didn't make the GPS sides and has been injured for the last few weeks. Something tells me the australian selectors don't just overlook previous players, as he is still basically walking into the team.

See that works 2 ways - if he had a crap season [last season] - the memory of that would work against him & if he was fit selectors would have a negative marked on his card.

If he delivered the goods last time, surely you want the strongest team possible. So subject to fitness and there being no standout better candidate, play the best.

There are no firm rules for selectors , they need to pick what they think will be the winning team & as we get higher up the food chain, there are less second chances.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
light

And so he should be picked. If the selectors judge him to be likely to be able to play before the first Oz Schools test match they should pick him if he has time to train with the squad first; he is that good.

If they do he will end up being an Oz Schools legend playing 3 years for them and in more "tests" than any other schools player.

Browning is in the same category, though as a 2nd rower he served for Oz A in his first year. Even in 2009 I thought he was a smokey to make the Oz Schools Ones as a utility player. He was obviously then a natural 8, and maybe 6, but was required to play lock because of the lack of tall timber in Qld Schools that year.

I will make no great claims for these lads after they leave school because it wouldn't be appropriate, but I recommend that the Reds keep a couple of spots open in their Academy next year as they will get over the top offers from elsewhere.

As for NSW: their two teams have just been selected. It's difficult to say who will make the Oz Schools team for 2011 without seeing them in the Oz Schools Championship first. No doubt the lads who played for one of the Oz Schools teams last year have the stuff that selectors like.

8. Wells was in good form in the trials. He is a skills 8, hard enough but not the big bopper type. He is the most likely to get back into the Oz Schools team. [I haven't been paying much attention to the Qld posts except for transgressions of forum policy but 8. Timu took my eye in the U/16 championships last year, How is he going?]

9. Wessells - he is in the NSW Is but I have a blind spot about him as I didn't think a lot of him last year. I thought the IIs scrummie, Merriman, was better in the recent NSW trials but I obviously don't have a selectors eye. I had my doubts about his making the NSW Is and therefore must have doubts about him for higher honours also.

4/5/6. Dombkins had a subdued trials series, not helped by his school having a competition game the day before one trial. He is no certainty either.

As for others who have not played for Oz Schools before:
11. Tanginoa - was a standout in the Oz U/16s Champs last year and in the 2011 NSW trials. If there are two better wingers elsewhere in the country they will be very, very good.

15. Gutherson - was good in the 2010 U/16 Oz Champs too and was one of the best backs in the NSW Opens tournament just finished. Sometimes he looked like a schools Christian Cullen, and has a big boot on him. The IIs fullback Le Lievre was the early favourite to take the spot. He wavered a bit in the trials but still showed he was a big match player. If he comes good in the Oz tournament he could get the nod, but Gutherson would be the front runner.

1. Lawley would be my smokey. NSW have some good props this year and their scrummaging prowess will be tested in the Oz Nationals to see who is really good in that department, or not, but Lawley would be my sneaky pick to do well. He wasn't a heralded player outside of his CAS group but he looks like he has what it takes in both the scrum, the lifting, around and in the rucks, and even on cover defence.

I am aware that we shouldn't be talking so much about an Oz team at this stage and that we know very little about players outside of our own state but a least it keeps us off the streets.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In regards to Timu, he was selected on the bench for the Queensland Combined High Schools side. However the selectors realised pretty quickly how bigger mistake that was in the first few trial games, he just tore his opposition apart. Has been frequently over the white line and from all reports dominating the breakdowns, for someone with such a quiet school season he has really lifted his game for the state trials and would be near impossible to overlook for QLD 1. I think his preferred position is blindside so he can combine with his former Nudgee teammate Kristian Satui who plays openside but there is a serious lack of quality 8's in QLD, add to that the abundance of quality 6/7's and you think the selectors might prefer him at 8.

Based on Timu's state trials, he is bound to wear an Oz Schools jumper, based on School performances he would be lucky to be selected into a GPS team. I guess he just knows when to perform, and it's scary that he can turn on the heat whenever he sees fit. Certainly one to watch at the national trials.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Caleb Timu at 8 for QLD I. Expect him to be a star at national trials. QLD I team looking very strong, much better than I or anyone could anticipate. Tipping them to take the national titles by alot. Features the likes of Maile Ngauamo, Pettowa Paraka, Curtis Browning, Kristian Satui, Caleb Timu, Grant Davies, Chris F'Sautia, Craig Hunt and Joseph Swann.

RugbyNut101

Peter Burge (5)
Who's Tipped to be the 10 come aus schoolboys time. Good players from below the boarder with 4 flyhalfs picked (across the two teams) but no one really putting there hand up. Any standouts from QLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.