• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sportzfan

Foxyloxy you are quite incorrect with your information. Ingate played no. 12 and did indeed score a try, however, it was the shadow reserve, Brogan Roods that played opposite Sautia with a very solid game, which gave Sautia little to no space.
rather red carded but no Ingate stayed at 13 on Friday and scored a nice try. His father was pleased as punch as were all us NSW people.

And all this talk of the flash Queensland backs. That Crook and Sautia did absolutely nothing last night. I would rather have Ingate and Hulme over them any day. They really should have been more involved if they are as good as people say.

N

NorthernSon

HERE IT IS STRAIGHT OF THE PENCILLED IN NOTEBOOK IN MANU'S POCKET

1: Gillespie (NSW)
2: Roach (NSW)
3: Hoskins (WA)
4: Hosegood (NSW)
5: Melrose (NSW)
6: Killingworth (NSW)
7: Goodman (NSW)
8: Slipper (Qld)
9: Donlan (NSW)
10: Taumata (QLD)
11: Petaia (QLD)
12: Hunt (QLD)
13: Ingate (NSW)
14: Smith (NSW)
15: Holland (ACT)

C

catchpole

NorthernSon,

Any thoughts on the Reserves bench or the Australia A squad?

F

foxyloxy

6: Killingworth (NSW)
7: Goodman (NSW)
10: Dunbar (NSW)
11: Crook (QLD)
14: Sautia (QLD)

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Not sure of what their players are up to but I do know that we lose a lot to the marlins, it's starting to come together at colts for the rats but slowly.

I do realise that Brookvale is part of Warringah but your comment semms to suggest that the Marlins poach your players. Lets remember if you drive from Manly to Palmy on a school day you will see boys in all types of school uniforms. Going to school in one area whether it be Manly or Warringah doesn't mean you are a local junior.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I think he is suggesting blokes Jack Rowntree and a few others reasonable schoolboy players. But I agree it's a bit of a headline grab when you say all the Kings blokes like Tim Reid, Josh McCormack, George Kent etc are local juniors!

C

chief

6: Browning (QLD)
7: Swann (QLD)
10: Dunbar (NSW)
11: Crook (QLD)
14: Sautia (QLD)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
This afternoon two Oz Schools teams will be announced to play later in the year.

In previous years they picked 15 players for the Ones and 23 players for the Twos. The Twos would play the first game against a visiting team and the best players got to be reserves in the subsequent test.

Last year they picked two lots of 23 and there was no indication of who were notionally the best 15 in each lot as they were listed in alphabetical order.

I thought the reason why they picked 2 lots of 23 in 2009 was that the lads had an EOYT later on and they wanted to look at more players.

We will see today if what they did in 2009 was a one-off or a permanent change.

It was better before as there was no confusion as to who were the top 15 players but if it is 2 lots of 23 again rest assured that we will be shaking tea leaves this afternoon and scratching our heads.

If it's 15 and 23 we will be scratching our heads about the A team and wondering who will be the likely starters, but I think it's fair enough to see the lads train first before they name the run on team.

F

foxyloxy

Good luck lads.
I expect the Qld I v NSW I game to be the pick today. 2 sides with the hype but haven't delivered. Let's hope the best sides run on.
NSW II will be too strong for Qld II but the battle between Taumata and Dunbar if he starts will be good. Ingate v Hunt will also be one to watch depending on where each plays.

F

foxyloxy

I'll put it here as that is the reason we are in Brisbane.
Just where in the Sunday Mail do they have the rugby. This could be greatly improved (totally inadequate) and not a patch on the reporting we get in Sydney. Is rugby played here. You wouldn't know by reading the paper. (there is also ony one)

D

DEER HUNTER

It's an old gripe we all have but it's no mystery why they do it. They can't wait until the teenagers play Colts or Grade because some other Super outfit will nab them if they don't. The reason why this happens year after year after year, and will be worse with 5 teams, is the lack of depth in Oz rugby; so they recruit them out of school as medium term projects and hopefully they will still be there for them when they are seasoned enough to play in Super rugby.

Apart from rare stars who get a Super contract straight out of school they hedge their bets and give the good school players a 1 year pro academy deal to have a look at them, and the lesser ones an amateur spot.

Not to the point but some franchises use them as 18 y.o.s as the Brumbies did last year with Michael Hooper. The fact that Hooper had had a shoulder reconstruction about 9 months before did not signify.

The only way to build up meaningful depth of older players (and referees and coaches for that matter) is to find way to reintroduce the ARC; but it is an old song I sing. Meantime expect more schools players to be signed up before their time. Also expect the same comments to be made on this forum next year as they have been every other year.

I disagree Lee. As I said before there is a black hole for kids in rugby if you dont go to a private school and and get a desent quality of rugby each week. In village club rugby, Sydney teams start to fold at the 15, 16, 17 year age groups and their is nothing for boys older except colts which goes against the ARU 2 year window. Out west and down south they struggle to even have teams in those older age groups. So in rugby if your in the public school system, a non rugby nurturing school, or if you have left school at 16 to do a trade, you go and play rugby league. In Sydney we have the framework within club rugby to create that pathway, all we need is younger age colts teams, say 16's and 18's and they could bring coaches, referees, and players right through the system to strengthen club rugby and Australian rugby. The way it is now it's elietest and thats why their is this league union rivalry, because rugby is run by the old school tie and leather patch brigade. Things work a bit better in Qld because the QLD GPS system just give scholarships to anyone who can pass a rugby ball, however their senior club rugby comp is of poor quality because of a lack of depth due to no alliegences with senior rugby clubs. Tell me if I'm wrong. It seems pretty simple, broaden your base, provide quality competition for everyone who wants to play regardless of what school they go to, = greater depth in Australian rugby. Lee feel free to correct my spelling mistakes I assume your a teacher.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I've heard Lindsay Crook TSS and QLD 1, Chris F’Sautia (BSHS) QLD 1 and Jason Seage Hills Sports High and NSW 2 have been drafted into the Commonwealth Games Sevens Squad. Well done boys. Have heard that two other players have also been selected from NSW 1 but can't confirm their names. I would think their 10 would be one of them.

F

foxyloxy

Now I understand the hype. Three trys to Crook, the last a brilliant 50m solo from half way through and around our entire team assisted QLD I sink NSW I 37 - 22. That was a great game but those Qld back shine when they use the ball.
I thought we could come back there for a while when they started subbing but again, what a 2nd half.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I've heard Lindsay Crook TSS and QLD 1, Chris F’Sautia (BSHS) QLD 1 and Jason Seage Hills Sports High and NSW 2 have been drafted into the Commonwealth Games Sevens Squad. Well done boys. Have heard that two other players have also been selected from NSW 1 but can't confirm their names. I would think their 10 would be one of them.

Aren't these kids in Year 12 or something? Will they really go OS in the middle of their exams?

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Aren't these kids in Year 12 or something? Will they really go OS in the middle of their exams?

As I understand it it is the 2014 games but they will be training with the current games squad. A great opportunity for the boys.

Heard CS beat ACT by around 10 points. Big Willie one of the best!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
DEER HUNTER

Nothing you said in your last really rebutted the bolded bit you quoted. My post explained why Super teams put too much stock in schools rugby; it didn't agree with the process.

The bolded bit explained more why players who stayed in the system aren't used better and therefore aren't looked at enough by the Super franchises. You can only get so much out of assessing players at the grade level - and that level doesn't improve a player as much as semi-pro rugby does.

It didn't disagree either with what you wrote. I think we are both right but we weren't talking about the same things. You were talking about younger players disappearing out of the system before they get to 1st Grade; so they never get to be older players. I was talking about players who got there but couldn't mature as players as much as they could in the ARC if they were good enough inherently.

What you wrote about is true and it doesn't just apply in the parts of Sydney you mentioned. I was involved with the Narrabeen Tigers village team and the older boys there, even those who didn't go to private schools or Sports High Schools dropped out like flies because they discovered girls or got more interested in surfing.

That was a long time ago but I doubt if much has changed.

I think your idea of having something different for boys from about age 16 is a good one and since we had the same problem a while back I'm surprised that it hasn't been put in place already. Not many village clubs would have enough players to field teams of 16 and 17 y.o.s so it would have to be done at the district level.

The real question is: why isn't it being done now?

If these kids stay in the system long enough to get into Colts then they won't be disadvantaged because they didn't go to a private school. Maybe they won't make the Ones at first but Colts coaches will move them up if they are good enough.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
QLD 2 win final 19-15. Well done to them and NSW 2 for making the final after losing their two starting wingers and losing APO for the match against QLD 1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.