• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NorthernSon

Closer to the mark based on text messages just received on recent form but dont discount the influence of Manu on having NTS investments in the mix.

1: Gillespie (NSW)
2: Roach (NSW)
3: Hoskins (WA)
4: Hosegood (NSW)
5: Melrose (NSW)
6: Killingworth (NSW)
7: Goodman (QLD)
8: Slipper (Qld)
9: Donlan (NSW)
10: Dunbar (NSW)
11: Crook (QLD)
12: Hunt (QLD)
13: Ingate (NSW)
14: Sautia (QLD)
15: Holland (ACT)
16. Miller (NSW)
17. Kauffmann (NSW)
18. Swan (QLD)
19. Petaia (QLD)
20. Latinupulu (NSW)
21. Havea (NSW)
22. Seage (NSW)
23. Taumata (QLD)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Well done Qld - that's 5 years in a row now, but it looks like things were a bit closer this year. Let's not forget that Qld schools players are, on the average, younger than NSW lads.

Hopefully there is not enough room in the Reds outfit for all of them and we other poor bastards can get some of the overflow.

PS Whenever the official list comes out puh-lease let's not go through the two teams and complain about how many players were from this state and the other state because this or that state won or lost. Keep the chips on the shoulders.

As usual there won't necessarily be a direct arithmetical connection between the numbers of players chosen from each team and the results.

T

tranquility

Not to be too much of a pain in the arse Lee, but all but the exception of QLD players are a full year younger.

It looks like another elite crop of backs, and I'm sure not all of them will stay in their own state.

I just hope QLD nabs Crook and Sautia.

W

Wrinkled Rat

I do realise that Brookvale is part of Warringah but your comment semms to suggest that the Marlins poach your players. Lets remember if you drive from Manly to Palmy on a school day you will see boys in all types of school uniforms. Going to school in one area whether it be Manly or Warringah doesn't mean you are a local junior.

No suggestion of poaching, one is simply better at attraction and retention. Auggies are one of the stronger rugby schools on the peninsula and a decision (rats/marlins) started in the late 70's when slaggy miller moved camp. Back then the school had marr, wilson, basham, arneil, page and downey that were perhaps the strongest 1st XV running around and naturally went to manly. downey incidentally is assistant coach to pappa. when the second option came in, it did fracture the small gene pool in half. these days the marlins are very good at the colts nursery through guys like paul hartman and al crerar. The rats have not been as outgoing and look towards the strong newport and collaroy village clubs for incoming talent. The resurgence started a few years back when the 2006 u14 rats rep team started to come together and it was the mateships of the local boys attending gps schools that saw the country boys cross the bridge. At the same time, the manly rep team was in chaos and no one was really challenging Gordon who had won every year.

C

chief

G'day fellas, just back from Ballymore in a great day of Rugby.

Western Australia and Victoria had a 10 all tie. Fairly even match, credit must go to these blokes.

Combined States beat ACT by 29-14. 12 from CS (Freeman) was very impressive with his angles that he constantly ran. ACT had a great driving maul, with CS knowing how to counter it at the best of times, was very impressed.

QLD 1 defeated NSW 1 37-22. I'd struggle to find more than 2 completed scrums all day. It was thoroughly disappointing to be honest. Free Kicks coming at every scrum, because the ref didn't really have a clue.

Lindsay Crook and Chris Sautia gelled fantastically today, I think setting up eachother for a combined three tries at least. Crook scored a hat trick alone Was very impressed with these two today. NSW forwards really needed to commit less to rucks. They committed too many, and when they did it was far too late, which left numbers out in the backline. Was impressed with NSW #10 he really lead the way for their backs particularly in defense, some great performances by the Flyhalves today.

QLD 2 defeated NSW 2 19 to 15 in one of the greatest defensive efforts I've ever seen in schoolboy Rugby at any level International or First XV. NSW 2 must have had about 80% of possession and about 80% of territory in the first half. NSW showed some top forward play in this area, really securing the ball and ensuring the next phase was to be successful. During this time it was spoiled by Joseph Swan of QLD 2 on numerous occasions, but NSW just kept going back into their half. It was 5-5 at half time. NSW could have been up 20-5.

2nd half QLD 2 came out firing. But the first points of the half came from a drop goal by NSW 10 Ed Wylie. I will point out also that the referee awarded 6 penalties in total, only blowing the things up that were going to effect the play. Credit must go to him.

James Vaka NSW 2 #15 was immense. When he got the ball he looked dangerous. Also provided a few good hits.

QLD Flyhalf 10 Dion Taumata also impressed me today. .

NSW took the lead by 4 (I think) QLD scored two tries in a row their winger from TSS (lost program can't get a name) scoring the two tries, before NSW replied with a late try with 3 mins left. Late attempt at attacking play nearly was rewarded with a try but time was not on their side.

Finally credit and testimony must go to QLD 2 and NSW 2 coaches. They at the best of times were far more structured than the QLD 1 and NSW 1 teams I think both selectors and coaches of these teams should have a look at what is going on.

Looking forward to seeing who made AUS Schools.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Thanks Chief. Sounds like a courageous effort from the QLD boys. Just the sort of determination required at the next level! Did you or anyone else see big lock from NSW 1's Steve Cummins play? I'm interested to know how he went.

C

chief

It may have been him or his other number. But I remember one of the NSW 1's locks constantly spoiling QLD's ball of the kick offs. It may be him. The NSW kicker was perfect in every kick off, they must have stolen it about 3 or so times.

Browning is a shoe in. No matter how good the others played, he will be selected they will find room for him. In today's game he played pretty well.

NSW 2 played fantastically, as did QLD. It was anyone's game.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
There will have to be a position in the side for Curtis Browning. He was an Aussie Schoolboy last year and while not a headliner at this tournament, he is still a class act. I would say he was pencilled in before this tournament started.

You think he would be in the mix somewhere.

C

chief

Australian Schools Championships – Finals Results:
Match 1: Victoria 10 (Connor Hallewell, Edwin Maka, tries) drew Western Australia 10 (Oli Hoskins 2 tries)
Match 2: Combined States 29 (Garrett Nowlan 2, Daniel O’Leary, Jack Walters, Hymel Hunt tries, Andrew Muirhead, Jake Milne cons) defeated ACT 14 (Billy Chalker 2 tries, John Field 2 con)
Match 3: QLD I 37 (Lindsay Crook 3, Elisha Palupe, Chris F’Sautia tries, Cayden Matehaere 3 con 2 pen) defeated NSW I 22 ( Gordon Broome, Guy Millar, Samuel Muller tries, Samuel Muller 2 con 1 pen)
Championship Final: QLD II 19 (Lausii Taliauli 2, Cameron Patrick tries Dion Taumata 2 con) defeated NSW II 15 (Apolosi Latinupulu 1, Stuart Dunbar 1, con 1 + FG)

There the try scorers and such are. WA prop is Oli Hoskins, I saw half of that match. If he is not selected in Aus Schools then its unjust.

QRU had this to say.

Queensland Schools made it five years in a row when Queensland II beat NSW II 19-15 in the final of the Australian Schools National Championships.

Earlier, Queensland I beat NSW I 37-22 to claim third place.

The Southport School (TSS) winger Lausii Taliauli scored a double in the second-half of the decider to take his personal tally to five tries for the Championship.

Mountain Creek inside centre Cameron Patrick also picked up a try for Queensland II while Keebra Park flyhalf Dion Taumata slotted two conversions.

Trailing by four points and with seconds remaining on the clock NSW made a 40m surge toward the Queensland line but were bundled into touch just shy of the 10 metre line.

Winger Lindsay Crook, another talented back from TSS, gave a game-breaking performance in the play-off for third, scoring a hat-trick of tries against NSW in the young Reds 15-point victory.

In other matches, Victoria drew Western Australia 10-10 and Combined States defeated ACT 29-14.

N

NorthernSon

My source left the venue impressed by the athleticism, discipline and physical presence of the young Reds. Well done also to NSW II who were in the mix to the bell but according to my source Swan muscled up and was the standout physical 7 of the tournament. For NSW 1's lets hope with 5 years of a dry run that the Papa & Kipp combo stand down and provide an opportunity for independent selections to return.
This is an update on POTENTIAL selections noting my earlier wrongful oversight emmission of Curtis. This is not a stab in the dark, I always leave the lights on!
1: Gillespie (NSW)
2: Roach (NSW)
3: Hoskins (WA)
4: Browning (QLD)
5: Melrose (NSW)
6: Killingworth (NSW)
7: Swan (QLD)
8: Slipper (Qld)
9: Donlan (NSW)
10: Dunbar (NSW)
11: Crook (QLD)
12: Hunt (QLD)
13: Ingate (NSW)
14: Sautia (QLD)
15: Holland (ACT)
16. Miller (NSW)
17. Kauffmann (NSW)
18. Goodman (NSW)
19. Muller (NSW)
20. Latinupulu (NSW)
21. Havea (NSW)
22. Seage (NSW)
23. Taumata (QLD)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Does anyone have a full team list. I heard the second rower from combined states made the team?

C

chief

Fantastic stuff. I cannot stress more that today's match was as good as schoolboy matches get. Wonderful commitment by both teams.

Bowside, they have named the team at Ballymore it just hasn't been published. Don't be surprised if he is included he was my man of the match for Combined States. I think he actually got it officially as well. He was very impressive I think he's from Terrace.

Finally I must say some negatives.

QRU charging for a Schoolboys carnival is ridiculous. I was happy to pay the fee, but a lot more people would have been their had there not be a fee. It's a shame really. Heard a bunch of mothers bitching (with every right) saying they shouldn't ever be charged to see their son play. I concur with that. They'll do anything to make a quick buck.

QRU when I wait 15 minutes in line to wait for chips a burger and a drink, I don't expect to miss so much game time. Putting as little staff as they could on. They even ran out of Coke Zero! What a farce.

F

foxyloxy

Rhys Brodie (NSWII)
Curtis Browning (QLD I)
Tom Connor (NSW II)
Lindsay Crook (QLD I)
Steve Cummins (NSW I)
Tim Donlan (NSW II)
Tom Cusack (ACT)
Tim Duchesne (CS)
Chris F' Sautia (QLD I)
Jed Gillespie (NSW II)
Lewis Holland (ACT)
Boyd Killingworth (NSW II)
Apo Latinupulu (NSW II)
Joel Luani (NSW II)
Guy Miller (NSW I)
Gary Neugebaur (WA)
Maile Ngaumo (QLD I)
Walter Petaia (QLD I)
Sam Reiser (CS)
Hugh Roach (NSW I)
Dion Taumata (QLD II)
Ed Wylie (NSW II)
plus one other whose name was missed ( I am pretty sure it was Stuart Dunbar (NSW II) but please don't hold me to it) and no responsibility for incorrect spelling

As next years is also at Ballymore I agree with the Chief on the food and charging. Please remedy this act.
The food (bottle of water $4.00) was disgusting and overpriced.

D

Doc

Does anyone have a full team list. I heard the second rower from combined states made the team?

He did. Tremendous reward for one of the form players of the comp. For the record it wasn't Skelton.

C

chief

I'm stunned at Hoskins not being selected. Far and away the best Front Rower throughout the tournament.

F

foxyloxy

Hoskins in the Aus II and you are correct. Damned good (can I say that here) performance from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.