• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Surely they wouldn't swap McCalman for Randell since both Murphy and O'Donahue played better and are better than McCalman hence why McCalman was on the bench

Actually agree. He is well connected.

No he's just a bloody good player as evidenced by the comments of plenty of other posters in this thread. Noticed that the NSW2 coaches played him for the full game on Saturday against QLD2 which is indicative of the regard in which he is held.

S

Scotstothefore8

No he's just a bloody good player as evidenced by the comments of plenty of other posters in this thread. Noticed that the NSW2 coaches played him for the full game on Saturday against QLD2 which is indicative of the regard in which he is held.

Big call stating that McCalman is better then both O'Donohue and Murphy, the reason being why he would have gotten the whole game was that he didn't get as much game time as the two others and also Murphy was carrying an injury the whole week and still played better then the number 20

G

G-78-XV-V

thanks CTPE, I was hoping someone would give him a rap....not the biggest kid but absolutely lives for his rugby and has a huge heart!! the selectors have seen something that a lot of others haven't.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Your boy G-78-XV-V? Don't lower yourself to the level of the public opinion and feel that you need to respond to everything. Be happy for the boy and yourself & Mrs G78 if he is yours.

If he is to make it in the professional (and Premier rugby) ranks, he will cop a lot of flack from the informed and the uninformed.

The selectors generally know what they are doing.

G

G-78-XV-V

The fact is nearly all of these top playing positions could be more than adequately covered by several kids, with no noticeable change in the overall team.....so the selectors (all five of them) have to see an Xfactor....what that could be...who knows...maybe even that one player never pulls his socks up and the other does!!!

G

G-78-XV-V

Your boy G-78-XV-V? Don't lower yourself to the level of the public opinion and feel that you need to respond to everything. Be happy for the boy and yourself & Mrs G78 if he is yours.

If he is to make it in the professional (and Premier rugby) ranks, he will cop a lot of flack from the informed and the uninformed.

The selectors generally know what they are doing.
no he's not ,but I have seen him play outside of school.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)

Your off your chops if you think McCalman outplayed O'Donahue

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Andrew Manu's omission is very odd, he was the top hooker for his age in QLD last year and would have been one of the first chosen for QLD this year.

The only real shock for me in terms of QLD was Jack Tuttle in the 'A's, then again we probably should have expected it when Jim Stewart was named for NSW 1, it is concerning that not one Queensland backline member made the 1's, Placid being the exception but he is surely behind McIntyre for the 15 jersey.

LG, is Kellaway the only Year 11 in Oz schools this year?

Was surprised about Manu myself. Was also surprised that he played on the flank in the final.

Stewart had nothing to do with Tuttle's omission: he played 13 for NSW; so Tuttle could have been picked as 12. Tuttle didn't do enough. He looked classy in the things he did but there weren't enough things. He had a fair game on Day 1 but I waited for him to be a stand out as he was in the U/16s last year on the same ground but it just didn't happen.

It's not a great disgrace to have centres Stewart, Foketi and Robinson picked ahead of him because they are all top players, but at his best he is better than Foketi and Robinson. Stewart is another matter - he is a young bloke with the rugby brain of a 25 year old; he doesn't have the skills of Tuttle but what he has is the nous to know what is the right thing to do just about every time. McIntyre is the same.

Placid would be behind McIntyre at 15 based on tournament form but McIntyre could be played at 10. Horwitz started for Oz Schools against England Schools last year but he is not a rainmaker.

As someone mentioned Jones is is Yr 11 (and is still just 16). I believe that Foketi is Yr. 11 also. but maybe somebody from Kings can advise. I thought Jones was the player of the tournament. It's about time that NSW had a schools flyer; they are usually from north of the Tweed.

Bill McLean (32)

And the rest CTPE!! And the rest mate!

I have been watching this lad for nearly three years at the rep level in club rugby (not only school). Admittedly I don't go looking for him, but when I see a tenacious back rower at these games i ask myself who is that lad, and each time I look in my program I see the name and say to myself, "that bloody McCalman kid again!"

As I have stated before, he doesn't have the greatest of statutes, but what he lacks in size he more than compensates with drive and determination. He seems the type of kid that doesnt want to let his team mates down. Again he reminds me of that Neil Back the famous 'and small' back rower from England!

On ya Jack the Lad!

And for the record I am not his dad or relation, just like I am not the father of Taane Milne, Fabian Natoli or all the rest of the players others have intimated I may be! :) :) :)

PS- BTW I got to see Perry Ioane (apparently Digby's brother), Joe Ofehangue (Willy O's) and Clint Gutherson (Australian Junior Sevens rep and NGS member) acquit themselves well at the ASSRL Championship yesterday in the QLD v NSWCHS game. Gutherson was MOTH and will be a great loss to rugby, as will the others if they were involved in the QLD program. Great talent!

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Lalakai is in Yr 12. Also Willie O doesn't have a son in senior school. His eldest finished last year.

S

shut_up_meg

Lalakai is in Yr 12. Also Willie O doesn't have a son in senior school. His eldest finished last year.

Milne and McCalman from Aus A are in Year 11 too and Kellaway is also only 16.

Bill McLean (32)

Sorry I left out the word 'nephew'; after having re-read my earlier post I have indeed implied that he was the son.

With that said 'Joey O' has been playing for the Roosters and I had always meant ask someone if there was a connection to the famous man! Yesterday I did and one of the player mangers up here in Port Mac informed that it was!

Sorry about that!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
From only watching one day of competition (last Saturday) I think the selectors have done a good job.

Are the Aus Schools team playing anyone else apart from Tonga this year?

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Was surprised about Manu myself. Was also surprised that he played on the flank in the final.

Stewart had nothing to do with Tuttle's omission: he played 13 for NSW; so Tuttle could have been picked as 12. Tuttle didn't do enough. He looked classy in the things he did but there weren't enough things. He had a fair game on Day 1 but I waited for him to be a stand out as he was in the U/16s last year on the same ground but it just didn't happen.

It's not a great disgrace to have centres Stewart, Foketi and Robinson picked ahead of him because they are all top players, but at his best he is better than Foketi and Robinson. Stewart is another matter - he is a young bloke with the rugby brain of a 25 year old; he doesn't have the skills of Tuttle but what he has is the nous to know what is the right thing to do just about every time. McIntyre is the same.

Placid would be behind McIntyre at 15 based on tournament form but McIntyre could be played at 10. Horwitz started for Oz Schools against England Schools last year but he is not a rainmaker.

As someone mentioned Jones is is Yr 11 (and is still just 16). I believe that Foketi is Yr. 11 also. but maybe somebody from Kings can advise. I thought Jones was the player of the tournament. It's about time that NSW had a schools flyer; they are usually from north of the Tweed.

Foketi is in yr 12. I went and watched the final and kept a close eye on Tuttle as I had been reading the posts about him. I agree with Lee that he didnt do enough in the final. The QLD backline actually did very little in the final and Tuttle seemed to be playing very wide, I think at outside centre, and he hardly touched the ball.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee,
do you have a match report for the two top games yesterday, i really enjoy reading what you saw vs what I saw.

Yeah there are always different views about the same game, literally: people sit in different places. Then some folks watch the ball runners and not the defence, and sometimes stuff going on in the far corner is not clear - and yarda, yarda.

I didn't write a match report but there is a bit on the game in this blog:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/result-review-australian-schools-championships/

Status
Not open for further replies.