• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
GS - As the teams were read out in alphabetical order, one presumes that the allocation of players / positions / numbers is presumed at this point in time ??

Might suggest a couple of reserves may actually be starters ....

And as HJ mentioned above, a lot of water to flow under the bridge between now & October.

Trusting that all boys remain fit and well throughout the remiander of their school rugby commitments.

Best of luck to them all

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
What I have heard today, some very disappointed Lads and Parents who's Boys did not make either Australia or As. A couple of these boys who did not get picked, I am Surprised to hear their name not mentioned and was told they are now Jumping Codes as 2 of them have been approached by a League Official through the week and another lad who missed out is now concentrating on his League Pathway and is contracted. Its a Shame.

some might consider that a bit complacent..me for one!

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
Of course there will be players and parents disappointed. Happens every time you try and make 8 teams into two.

Plenty who haven't made Aust Schoolboys go on to become professional Rugby players.

Team composition will change as the season unfolds, and injuries kick in. A lot of water to flow under the bridge. Shame to see some give up so easily.

Congratulations to all the boys selected. Train hard, stay fit.

HJ don't neccessarily agree that they are "giving up". Just keeping their options open. If one door closes another door opens.

What are the viable options available to a lad not picked today.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
At the NSW teams presentation last week, Cheika spoke to the boys and outlined the plan to expand and strengthen the Tah Acadamy, no real details but some hope. Cheika must be very pleased with the recent NSW schools form, winning both finals last year(1st&3rd) and going one better this year.

Things have really gone 'sideways', now I'm replying to myself. At todays presentation, Pulver also spoke of very exciting changes and developments over the next few years that these boys (the boys present) will be part of.

mates95

Allen Oxlade (6)
GS - As the teams were read out in alphabetical order, one presumes that the allocation of players / positions / numbers is presumed at this point in time ??

Might suggest a couple of reserves may actually be starters ..

And as HJ mentioned above, a lot of water to flow under the bridge between now & October.

Trusting that all boys remain fit and well throughout the remiander of their school rugby commitments.

Best of luck to them all

Heard that as well and that the starting line up will not be announced until a few days about before the test match.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
HJ don't neccessarily agree that they are "giving up". Just keeping their options open. If one door closes another door opens.

It's an entirely personal decision how you respond to a "set back" like this, of course. It may not even be a set back.
The kids, assuming its the kids, who decide their future lies with league because they weren't picked today may be looking for something that rugby struggles to offer anyone, including those picked today: a living.
That's the wrong reason to play any game and when you listen to even the blokes who make it in the game on the dark side you know they play for love - they all say it! Some - a very few - make a good living but most do not.
It worries me how little the parents and kids seem to know about what history tells them is the chance of making it (ie making a living) in either code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)

Agree with you Gooner. Definitely Politics there today. You don't have to be Blind Freddy to see it either

Mrs Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
One kid who I was really happy for was Vuni Fifita - not a political decision just a lot of work in the off season improving his fitness

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSW I def NSW II 20-12
Sunny but chilly with wind at 8 knots from NW

With both teams with the misconception they were playing for final Australian selection the play was somewhat dour and unimaginative.

The head to head clashes never really eventuated with NSW I’s determined to win by trying for the 3pts off every available penalty opportunity.

Needless to say the 4 amigos (Kellaway, Jones, Moeroa, Milne) in the NSW I’s dominated the game. Andrew Kellaway (#15) opened the scoring after 6 mins with a neat unders pass from Andrew Deegan (#10) to score next to the posts and one of the other amigos, Harry Jones (#14) converted. Another 5mins and NSW I’s were in again with Harry Jones scoring a pie but failed to convert, Score 12-0 to NSW I’s.

After this first 10mins NSW II’s started to make themselves felt. Firstly their flanker Brandon Paenga-Amosa (#7) was sinbinned for repeated on the ball infringements. This did not deter the II’s who continued to compete well at the breakdown. Fullback, Nic Clancy (#15) latched onto the big No8 to save a certain try over the line and force a 5m defensive scrum. NSW II’s continued to thwart the more fancied opponents and gave nearly as much as they received. Their only blemish was not getting points when within 5m of the NSW I’s goal line.

Half time score 12-0 to NSW I’s.

After the break the team running uphill and into the breeze seemed to have more attacking chances (or performing to the crowd who were camped that end). NSW II’s ran towards the scoreboard 2nd half and tried valiantly several times to get through the 4 amigos defence especially the youngest lad on the pitch, Henry Hutchinson (#13) who never gave up all day.

The effectiveness of the NSW II’s annoyance got to the I’s with their big #5, Joshua Anderson being yellow carded for repeated infringements. This YC also gave cause for the NSWI’s to interchange their halves with Michael Kennedy (#21) and soon afterwards (#22) Corey Tulloch coming on. With all these changes NSW II’s continued to apply the pressure by refusing 3 PK’s for goal and elected for the lineout instead!

NSW II’s were again on the attack and won a delightfully quick tight-head that caught replacement half Michael Kennedy (#21) napping to allow his opposite Joey Lussick to dive on the ball to score. Conversion successful and NSW II’s now trailed by 4 pts

NSW II’s came right back and looked to again pressure for more points when Harry Jones (#14) committed the cardinal fullback sin and allowed the ball to bounce only to regather it, avoid several attackers and cleared with his left foot much to the relief of his team.

NSW I’s then converted field possession into points by taking a PK to take the score to 15-7.

Young Henry Hutchinson (#13) and Nic Clancy (#15) were trying valiantly to defend excellent moves by the big outside backs of NSW I’s and on several occasions these two youngsters (16 & 17 respectively) showed excellent defensive skills. But you cannot defend all day and Jack McCalman (#7) for NSW I’s scored near the corner post. Conversion unsuccessful.

NSW II’s responded with a lovely drifting backline attack started with the No10, Jack Clancy, cutting out his No12. Devan Stolz once again) to finally put Elliott Jennings (#23) over for a try.

Final score NSW I’s 20 pts def NSW II’s 12 pts.

good write up George. I agree with you that it didn't get to the heights it should have.
I did think the IIs centres did an OK job on the Is centres considering their defense even though it worked most of the time was very soft. They also need to get a physical presence as well, something they lacked in a big way. The IIs centres particularly one was good on his feet but, was always running sideways. While he impressed me in some ways I still believe he should still be playing in his own age group

Status
Not open for further replies.