• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The 12% statistic came out of the RL under 20"s education seminar prior to the season starting. It could indeed be 1 game. I agree that success at the age age of 20 does not lead to a sustainable career.

Interestingly the figure quoted by the commentator during the under 20 rugby union World Cup final between Wales and England stated that 9 of the current British Lions squad played in that competition. On face value that seemed quite high.
Except that's I per year (assuming 10 years career window) from 4 countries - not counting those who play u20s for one country and senior for another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
The 12% statistic came out of the RL under 20"s education seminar prior to the season starting. It could indeed be 1 game. I agree that success at the age age of 20 does not lead to a sustainable career.

Interestingly the figure quoted by the commentator during the under 20 rugby union World Cup final between Wales and England stated that 9 of the current British Lions squad played in that competition. On face value that seemed quite high.
I have heard similar. That of the 400 odd players who play NYC each year 60 odd play at least one game of NRL. Interested to know how many will go on to play 50.

Not overly surprising with the convert rate of Wales and England players. Especially as these by 20 would about be assured as possible to play professionally. A look at last years junior kangaroos in league has 13 of the 17 already playing first grade with a number tipped for higher honours..

guru13

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes.
Absolutely.
Cam Crawford never made it hgiher than GPS IIs and thats just off the top of my head.
I have been unable to find Ashely-Cooper in any state side.
As I've said elsewhere - if you look at this list http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=174487
You realise that not many Oz Schoolboys play for the Wallabies.
There's plenty of time.
yes very good insight, thanks. also upon some research think you'll find a player such as Tevita kuridrani from the brumbies never made it past CSS 2 and now look at him!! so how do they do it? go through club rugby ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW I 20 NSW II 12

3 T, 1 C, 1P to 2T 1C.

NSW I 20 (Kellaway, Jones, McCalman tries, Jones 1C, 1P
NSW II 12 (Lussick, Jennings tries, unknown 1C )

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
NSW I 20 NSW II 12

3 T, 1 C, 1P to 2T 1C.

I only saw the second half. NSW II put in a good performance. They nearly got on top when they had the man advantage. The 12 for NSW did make some big yards. I wouldn't want him running at me.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW II dominated field position for extended periods and looked threatening at times but failed to land the killer blow on the other side of the chalk.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I only saw the second half. NSW II put in a good performance. They nearly got on top when they had the man advantage. The 12 for NSW did make some big yards. I wouldn't want him running at me.
You can't hope for intercepts from him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
From what I've heard the following boys are in the Schoolboys team:
Newington - Vuni Fifita, Taane Milne, Tepai Morea and Lachlan Cannell
Joeys - Ned Hanigan, Matthew Sandell and Andrew Deegan
Riverview - Henry Hutchinson
Scots - Andrew Kellaway and Mitch Short
Kings - Jack McCallman

In Aus A
Newington - Joey Lussick, David Morris and Mesuilame Foliaki
Scots - Angus Crichton and Olly Kamp
Riverview - Hosea Fotokuva

Well done to all the boys picked, especially to Henry Hutchinson for making it from under 16s!

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
2013 Teams v Fiji & NZ

Schools.jpg

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
From what I've heard the following boys are in the Schoolboys team:
Newington - Vuni Fifita, Taane Milne, Tepai Morea and Lachlan Cannell
Joeys - Ned Hanigan, Matthew Sandell and Andrew Deegan
Riverview - Henry Hutchinson
Scots - Andrew Kellaway and Mitch Short
Kings - Jack McCallman

In Aus A
Newington - Joey Lussick, David Morris and Mesuilame Foliaki
Scots - Angus Crichton and Olly Kamp
Riverview - Hosea Fotokuva

Well done to all the boys picked, especially to Henry Hutchinson for making it from under 16s!

What I have heard today, some very disappointed Lads and Parents who's Boys did not make either Australia or As. A couple of these boys who did not get picked, I am Surprised to hear their name not mentioned and was told they are now Jumping Codes as 2 of them have been approached by a League Official through the week and another lad who missed out is now concentrating on his League Pathway and is contracted. Its a Shame.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
NSW I def NSW II 20-12
Sunny but chilly with wind at 8 knots from NW

With both teams with the misconception they were playing for final Australian selection the play was somewhat dour and unimaginative.

The head to head clashes never really eventuated with NSW I’s determined to win by trying for the 3pts off every available penalty opportunity.

Needless to say the 4 amigos (Kellaway, Jones, Moeroa, Milne) in the NSW I’s dominated the game. Andrew Kellaway (#15) opened the scoring after 6 mins with a neat unders pass from Andrew Deegan (#10) to score next to the posts and one of the other amigos, Harry Jones (#14) converted. Another 5mins and NSW I’s were in again with Harry Jones scoring a pie but failed to convert, Score 12-0 to NSW I’s.

After this first 10mins NSW II’s started to make themselves felt. Firstly their flanker Brandon Paenga-Amosa (#7) was sinbinned for repeated on the ball infringements. This did not deter the II’s who continued to compete well at the breakdown. Fullback, Nic Clancy (#15) latched onto the big No8 to save a certain try over the line and force a 5m defensive scrum. NSW II’s continued to thwart the more fancied opponents and gave nearly as much as they received. Their only blemish was not getting points when within 5m of the NSW I’s goal line.

Half time score 12-0 to NSW I’s.

After the break the team running uphill and into the breeze seemed to have more attacking chances (or performing to the crowd who were camped that end). NSW II’s ran towards the scoreboard 2nd half and tried valiantly several times to get through the 4 amigos defence especially the youngest lad on the pitch, Henry Hutchinson (#13) who never gave up all day.

The effectiveness of the NSW II’s annoyance got to the I’s with their big #5, Joshua Anderson being yellow carded for repeated infringements. This YC also gave cause for the NSWI’s to interchange their halves with Michael Kennedy (#21) and soon afterwards (#22) Corey Tulloch coming on. With all these changes NSW II’s continued to apply the pressure by refusing 3 PK’s for goal and elected for the lineout instead!

NSW II’s were again on the attack and won a delightfully quick tight-head that caught replacement half Michael Kennedy (#21) napping to allow his opposite Joey Lussick to dive on the ball to score. Conversion successful and NSW II’s now trailed by 4 pts

NSW II’s came right back and looked to again pressure for more points when Harry Jones (#14) committed the cardinal fullback sin and allowed the ball to bounce only to regather it, avoid several attackers and cleared with his left foot much to the relief of his team.

NSW I’s then converted field possession into points by taking a PK to take the score to 15-7.

Young Henry Hutchinson (#13) and Nic Clancy (#15) were trying valiantly to defend excellent moves by the big outside backs of NSW I’s and on several occasions these two youngsters (16 & 17 respectively) showed excellent defensive skills. But you cannot defend all day and Jack McCalman (#7) for NSW I’s scored near the corner post. Conversion unsuccessful.

NSW II’s responded with a lovely drifting backline attack started with the No10, Jack Clancy, cutting out his No12, Devan Stolz, once again) to finally put Elliott Jennings (#23) over for a try.

Final score NSW I’s 20 pts def NSW II’s 12 pts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who was the last person to be picked for the Australian Schoolboys team at 16 years of age? Very impressive

Chris F-S from Queensland and H Roach from NSW were selected as 16 YO's.

Edit: and Andrew Kellaway from NSW (thanks George).

Edit: another snout has advised to add H Jones from NSW.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
What I have heard today, some very disappointed Lads and Parents who's Boys did not make either Australia or As. A couple of these boys who did not get picked, I am Surprised to hear their name not mentioned and was told they are now Jumping Codes as 2 of them have been approached by a League Official through the week and another lad who missed out is now concentrating on his League Pathway and is contracted. Its a Shame.
sorry to hear that, I sometimes get miffed when my name is not read out also! (but bring on tonight)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let's see what the result is in the 3rd v 3rd final tomorrow between Victoria and Combined States, before selecting smokies from teams outside the top 4 of NSW I+II and QLD I+II.

More smokies in from the ACT (Aust 1, Aust A 2).

Couple from Combined States in Aust A, One WA in Aust A and one Vic in Aust.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Of course there will be players and parents disappointed. Happens every time you try and make 8 teams into two.

Plenty who haven't made Aust Schoolboys go on to become professional Rugby players.

Team composition will change as the season unfolds, and injuries kick in. A lot of water to flow under the bridge. Shame to see some give up so easily.

Congratulations to all the boys selected. Train hard, stay fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.