• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
No not all about money but also the opportunity is that they're directly linked to an NRL club, they train just like the 1st graders do and they're playing proper games weekly. Rugby doesn't have that opportunity, especially as the ARU abolished Super rugby academies. The average wage is 12.5k so some would be on 20-30k I would suspect.

I know personally rugby players at still who chose the league pathway before it's more enticing straight after school. Rugby needs to offer something similar, it's a big issue in NZ as well with their rugby players coming to Aus NRL clubs. That's why it's vital Aus and NZ set up some kind of u20s competition.
Agree with you Zander, I know of young Kiwi players and their families being brought out to play NRL here in SG Ball , Toyota Cup and 1st Grade and the NRL clubs in question pay the Rents and give further Assistance to their families. Not fair as well to the locals lads who are talented.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No not all about money but also the opportunity is that they're directly linked to an NRL club, they train just like the 1st graders do and they're playing proper games weekly. Rugby doesn't have that opportunity, especially as the ARU abolished Super rugby academies.
IThat's why it's vital Aus and NZ set up some kind of u20s competition.
NO doubt one of the worst decisions that the ARU has made. This is where these guys should be - training and playing curtain raisers to Aust super rugby matches.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
At the NSW teams presentation last week, Cheika spoke to the boys and outlined the plan to expand and strengthen the Tah Acadamy, no real details but some hope. Cheika must be very pleased with the recent NSW schools form, winning both finals last year(1st&3rd) and going one better this year.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
what the Is v IIs game provide the selectors tomorrow is a chance to compare 2 players who are penciled in as 'near equivalents'. Tomorrow's game presents a great opportunity to view Walker v Warren-Vosayoco or Deegan v Clancy or Short v Lussick or Morris/McCalman/Crichton/Paenga-Amosa.

In terms of heads to heads the two NSW 10s will both be selected (albeit very different players), McCalman and Crichton & Morris are the better flankers in the tournament and Jones & Kellaway can cover the centres, fullback and wings spots so both will be included. Lussick, IMO, is better then Short. Hutchinson will be selected in As or reserves "for the experience and 2014 grooming". As for the other crucial position, Hooker, Koutsoukis is better than Fotukava and Mafi (Qld) has not come on this year after a great 2012 18s and 16s campaigns. I wouldn't be surprised if McLean (#16 from Trinity) gets selected in A's.

Milne and Moeroa are no brainers.

mates95

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone going to predict a schoolboys team?
And when will the actual team be announced? After the final game or the morning after?

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is what happens when the selectors start frothing over a few schools (TSS/NC) in favour of picking the best team available

Do you think the TSS/NC players selected were only selected because of where they went to school?

Is red black for GT?

F McGrath

Stan Wickham (3)
I think that's right.

But more generally, many boys this age have 'contracts' with RL clubs which aren't worth much in $ terms and are little more than warehousing of players. With 5 super rugby teams, there's probably more opportunity to 'make it' in rugby.
Michael Cheika was also at Riverview yesterday. He was talking to Tepai Meroa for a long time after the final game

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let's see what the result is in the 3rd v 3rd final tomorrow between Victoria and Combined States, before selecting smokies from teams outside the top 4 of NSW I+II and QLD I+II.
Do you think any of the CS or Vic Boys have played well enough to warrant a gig in the Schoolboys, A's or shadow?

There are some NGS boys in the CS team. They sometimes get a look in.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are these trips still paid for by, either, the participants or fundraisers arranged for specific participants or does the ARU pick up the tab?

I have heard a figure of $7k being bandied around as the player contribution for the Aust Schoolboys European Tour. Could be urban legend.

If true this is probably a bit steep IMHO for the privilege of representing your country.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have heard a figure of $7k being bandied around as the player contribution for the Aust Schoolboys European Tour. Could be urban legend.

If true this is probably a bit steep IMHO for the privilege of representing your country.

If the kids are paying then I cant see any proper basis on which the ARU or ARSU could choose between kids on the basis of what they plan to do after school.
There's a nice point in all of this: these kids are minors so there must be a question mark as to their legal capacity to enter into a contract to play league after they leave school.
No doubt someone will point out how the loig clubs make it kosher - there are couple of ways but I'm not going to help them.

DYEL

Bob McCowan (2)
No not all about money but also the opportunity is that they're directly linked to an NRL club, they train just like the 1st graders do and they're playing proper games weekly. Rugby doesn't have that opportunity, especially as the ARU abolished Super rugby academies. The average wage is 12.5k so some would be on 20-30k I would suspect.

I know personally rugby players who chose the league pathway because it's more enticing straight after school. Rugby needs to offer something similar, it's a big issue in NZ as well with their rugby players coming to Aus NRL clubs. That's why it's vital Aus and NZ set up some kind of u20s competition.

Keep in mind that as of last year NRL surprising contract List:

THIS IS FIRST GRADE NRL (NOT HOLDEN CUP)

Adam Reynolds (South's) - $50,000 (2012)
Dane Gagai (Newcastle) - $20,000 (2012)
Josh Reynolds (Canterbury) - $60,000 (2012)
Willie Mason (Newcastle) - $40,000 (2012)

These are just some of the average salaries that these relatively HIGH level league players are on. I'm sure there is more enticement to play Holden Cup than the chips of money they are being offered.....

Status
Not open for further replies.