• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
We're playing u18 side

And they will be bloody good teams as well. I won't be surprised if the majority of the boys (from all the home nations - as they are called) are in Aviva league development squads, and have been so for the past 2/3 years!

Bill McLean (32)
I agree: I was surprised someone thought Australia snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in game led by NZ for 2/3. ... ... ... ... ... ... I will be howled down i suspect but the lack of ball playing skills at 12 and 13 seemed to me to cost us at times though both were strong in other areas ... ... ... ... ... ...

IS,

It was me who made this call; essentially it was made a couple of minutes after the game when my emotions were running high but I would still stand-by the comment!

My reason for doing so relates to the second part of your comment; to which I emphatically subscribe! Yes the M&M's played well, but I expected more, especially when the NZ danger man went off for 10 in the bin. This was really the time for the Oz backs to start spinning it wide (like they did on Tuesday).

At 16-10 the Oz boys had opportunities to close the game out and the same went begging in my opinion! The wings may as well have sat on the sideline and had the reserves serve them tea and scones for all the ball they received! After Tuesday's performance I really did believe Hutcho would have been utilized a lot better!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes. Our side is U18. What is LG suggesting? Should we be playing U20s to consider our opponents as a "National" sides
I think if you combine LGs comment with mine and Newbies you have the issues: there blokes will be almost if not pro with premiership academies for 1 2 or 3 years

Bill McLean (32)
Yes. Our side is U18. What is LG suggesting? Should we be playing U20s to consider our opponents as a "National" sides

No he is not!

He is merely suggesting that Australia will only be sending U/18 schoolboys! The other nations will be able to draw from a much wider talent pool (i.e. U/18 lads who have now since finished school).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS,

It was me who made this call; essentially it was made a couple of minutes after the game when my emotions were running high but I would still stand-by the comment!

My reason for doing so relates to the second part of your comment; to which I emphatically subscribe! Yes the M&M's played well, but I expected more, especially when the NZ danger man went off for 10 in the bin. This was really the time for the Oz backs to start spinning it wide (like they did on Tuesday).

At 16-10 the Oz boys had opportunities to close the game out and the same went begging in my opinion! The wings may as well have sat on the sideline and had the reserves serve them tea and scones for all the ball they received! After Tuesday's performance I really did believe Hutcho would have been utilized a lot better!
You may be right - not a big deal.
What is a big deal, and I called it from the tournament, the M & M show won't work against good opposition.
2 years of mungo for them will destroy any chance of either developing a passing game.

Bill McLean (32)
And what IS said above me with respect to academies. Some U/18 lads in the UK now train and play rugby full time since leaving school!

Remember the England U/18 team not long ago; it gave Australian 'SCHOOLS' (emphasis added) an absolute rugby lesson!

ld2b

Allen Oxlade (6)
And what IS said above me with respect to academies. Some U/18 lads in the UK now train and play rugby full time since leaving school!

Remember the England U/18 team not long ago; it gave Australian 'SCHOOLS' (emphasis added) an absolute rugby lesson!
Thanks, I get it now.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
LMAO@U/19's! Perhaps we should send our JWC U/20's team to tour the UK. They came a respectful 7/8th this year did they not? I know they lost to the Ireland U/20's so they should be relatively competitive as far as U/18's go!
At least Ireland are making the two Schools matches available on tour - not against their national schools team, but our boys will play Munster Schools and Leinster Schools.

Thank you Ireland.

England teams will be hard to compete against. They have been virtually full-time trainers since they left school in May or June and will look like men against boys physically when they run on the field.

And they won't be distracted by studying for their HSC and doing exams as some of their Aussie opponents are doing now.

Back in the day Oz Schools got to play only against lads who were currently at school, but that tradition ended, and now our visit is seen as little more than a filtering project for their junior selection pathway.

Bill McLean (32)
At least Ireland are making the two Schools matches available on tour - not against their national schools team ... ... ... Thank you Ireland. ... ... ... ... ... ...

No need to thank us LG, we Irish have always been accommodating hosts, just ask the >%#@&$ English (who admittedly overstayed their welcome for near over a Millenia ... ... ... lol!)

Bill McLean (32)
Lol. Well at least they could tackle ! You pick the right players for the positions you need and don't play boys out of position, If you want to win.

Rock,

With the greatest of respect I wouldn't put forward the Holden Cup competition as the shining example of why defence is better on the league side of the fence. Having seen quite a few HC games this years they don't call it 'TURNSTILE CUP' for no reason!

You get lower scoring cricket matches!

Status
Not open for further replies.