• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
From what I saw yesterday (I missed the first game) the QLD 2s 9 was the stand out whilst both Deegan and Third were solid without be great, didn't see Clancy but from all reports it wasn't his best game. The ACT halves impressed me also but are far too small to play schoolboys. As I assume the squad will be bigger for the UK tour this year there may be room for 2-3 boys in each of the halves position.

Great post DYEL, agreed on all points. I don't think I've seen a better defensive 10 at schoolboy level then young Deegan and his ability to break the line and expose his opposition 10 in defence (highlighted by his performance against McGregor at Riverview a few weeks ago) is pure class. When comparing Deegan and Clancy I think both a great running and passing game whilst Deegans defence is much better then Clancys, but in the kicking factor it is the other way around. Seeing as Kellaway and Jones will most likely feature I don't think kicking will be a problem for the Aussies. Anyway bring on Thursday and Saturday !

DYEL

Bob McCowan (2)
If i was selectors,
I would be basing my much of selection for 10, on how well HE suits what is more than likely going to be a centres pairing of Moeroa and Milne.
Did not get around to seeing Clancy play for GPS (sad I didn't) and with M&M,
neither did I see Deegan run with the pair of them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If i was selectors,
I would be basing my much of selection for 10, on how well HE suits what is more than likely going to be a centres pairing of Moeroa and Milne.
I have not seen Clancy in the flesh but what I have seen on video would suggest he is not entirely suited to those 2 - agree or disagree?
Hoping to catch them all tomorrow.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If i was selectors,

Clancy combined poorly with Moeroa when they played together, though I'm not sure it wasn't the coaches tactics at fault there.
Didn't set the world on fire yesterday.
You made the point he goes to the line well.
I see him playing in the pocket,and only going to the line when he runs?

DYEL

Bob McCowan (2)
I have not seen Clancy in the flesh but what I have seen on video would suggest he is not entirely suited to those 2 - agree or disagree?
Hoping to catch them all tomorrow.

Inside Shoulder,
Talked to a few boys who played on the day, both of them said that Clancy was almost too fast a 10 for M&M.

I see him playing in the pocket,and only going to the line when he runs?

I Like To Watch,
I'm not sure if you have watched any of his games for Shore (Given this is a different setting), but his constant probing for space and ability to spot a gap is what keeps the Shore backline alive. I believe it was against Joeys in rd.1 that he scored a brilliant one man try, slicing through a narrow gap to score where most other 10's would have thrown a so & so ball to their inside.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Doesn't your example agree with my (limited)observation?
I'm not potting the kid,just saying in the games I have seen him play for GPS & NSW, he pretty much passes early or goes himself.
Actually nearly all the 10's this year,appear to prefer to run than to facilitate their outside men.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Doesn't your example agree with my (limited)observation?
I'm not potting the kid,just saying in the games I have seen him play for GPS & NSW, he pretty much passes early or goes himself.
Actually nearly all the 10's this year,appear to prefer to run than to facilitate their outside men.
Umm - I'd say that is our national trait at 10: I believe its a league thing

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
From Lee Grant's blog

NSW I 64 — Western Australia 8
NSW scored six tries in the first half, to lead 40-8 at half-time, and four in the second — principally by threatening progress in the middle then whipping the ball wide. However, it didn’t always go out to the wingers because the fullback sometimes ran out of tacklers inside them
The wrap-up
The WA lads were shell-shocked and apart for a penalty goal and one well-taken try they didn’t have much. They were on the back foot for the whole game and fell off too many tackles – and Moeroa wasn’t even playing.
Usually the NSW I team stutter in opening games in these championships and sometimes they play like strangers for the whole week, but yesterday they performed as though had played the whole season together.
The NSW backs put on a bravura performance as though it was the Ones playing against the Threes. The back row was stellar and the tight-five was remarkable in that they were barely noticeable sometimes except as a unit.
Can they do this against better teams? Who knows?
The players
It’s difficult to remark on the WA players because they were putting fires out all day. Some of them didn’t want to commit one hundred per cent to their tackles and that made it harder for the guys who did.
For NSW everybody got a pass mark but fullback Andrew Kellaway was like a force of nature. I have said a few times that he plays like Matt Burke did at school and it was another such day for him. Winger Harry Jones would have enjoyed playing fullback yesterday but he can’t grumble because he had a good game on the right wing as did Charlie Taylor on the left.
13. Taane Milne was impressive also: he could swerve around you in a phone box.
As for the back row: every time one of them did something remarkable one of the other two would top it.
NSW I – 64 [Tries Andrew Kellaway (3), Harry Jones (2), Charlie Taylor, Taane Milne, Hosea Fotukava, Angus Chrichton, Josh Anderson. Conversions: Jones (7).]
Western Australia – 8 [Try: Kauri Cudd. Penalty goal: Tim Koitu.]

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
Saw both the afternoon games yesterday, a couple of points, the WA team looked they had already given this game away as they appeared to start the game using all their reserves, against what looked like NSWI's run-on team (except Tep).
In the earlier game I didn't check the QLDI's run-on but if it was their strongest team I don't think they have anything that NSWI's have to worry about.
NSWII's may also give QLDI's some grief, early prediction,all NSW final.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was a fair bit of talk during NSW trials about the relative merits of the #2's. Like the #9/#10, this spot is probably up for grabs from any team.

Any comments on how the NSW hookers went yesterday, compared to Mafi QLD 1 and the others from ACT WA and Vic?

Fotukava (NSW I) scored some meat for the I's, but given the piggie dominance of the NSW team, it sounds as if they were lining up to score a meat pie.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
NSW I 64 — Western Australia 8
NSW scored six tries in the first half, to lead 40-8 at half-time, and four in the second — principally by threatening progress in the middle then whipping the ball wide. However, it didn’t always go out to the wingers because the fullback sometimes ran out of tacklers inside them
The wrap-up
The WA lads were shell-shocked and apart for a penalty goal and one well-taken try they didn’t have much. They were on the back foot for the whole game and fell off too many tackles – and Moeroa wasn’t even playing.
Usually the NSW I team stutter in opening games in these championships and sometimes they play like strangers for the whole week, but yesterday they performed as though had played the whole season together.
The NSW backs put on a bravura performance as though it was the Ones playing against the Threes. The back row was stellar and the tight-five was remarkable in that they were barely noticeable sometimes except as a unit.
Can they do this against better teams? Who knows?
The players
It’s difficult to remark on the WA players because they were putting fires out all day. Some of them didn’t want to commit one hundred per cent to their tackles and that made it harder for the guys who did.
For NSW everybody got a pass mark but fullback Andrew Kellaway was like a force of nature. I have said a few times that he plays like Matt Burke did at school and it was another such day for him. Winger Harry Jones would have enjoyed playing fullback yesterday but he can’t grumble because he had a good game on the right wing as did Charlie Taylor on the left.
13. Taane Milne was impressive also: he could swerve around you in a phone box.
As for the back row: every time one of them did something remarkable one of the other two would top it.
NSW I – 64 [Tries Andrew Kellaway (3), Harry Jones (2), Charlie Taylor, Taane Milne, Hosea Fotukava, Angus Chrichton, Josh Anderson. Conversions: Jones (7).]
Western Australia – 8 [Try: Kauri Cudd. Penalty goal: Tim Koitu.]
What's good about the NSW 1s Backline is any of the Wingers can play Fullback if there are Injuries and noticed Taylor is playing on the left wing instead of right.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Dark Shark, The Red horde from the North seems to be pretty strong on paper.

What is your take on their chances of a Candy Cane Final on Saturday (Reds vs Whites)?

From my perspective I think it will end up the traditional NSW I vs Qld I battle with a scare or two along the way.

Hugh Jarse, the most difficult part of making a prediction is that I have seen nothing of the NSW players, so I would be a fool to come out and say one team is going to smash another team. So, I can only look at history and some knowledge of the QLD teams’ players form to provide an answer to your question.

Over the last ten years I did not see any finals where both QLD teams played in a final (source - http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/). So, I do not believe it will be a Candy Cane (QLD Red v QLD White) final, unfortunately.
The QLD I forwards, particularly the back row, have shown previously that they are a class above and provide the difference which should see them win all Pool games. The NSW II backs may cause some concern, but if their forwards are not getting them the football let alone playing on the front foot, they will only survive through to the finals if they can capitalise on mistakes.

While there are some great forwards in the QLD II’s, I think that they will struggle as a group to maintain parity against a NSW I forward pack during the round robin series. While I think that the QLD II backs contain some outstanding players, I really have not noticed Anderson stand out as a play maker and NSW I should be able to close down any ball in hand QLD II may enjoy. So it should be a QLD I v NSW 1 for the Australian Schoolboy Rugby Championships.
Personally, I would love to see a NSW v QLD final. I believe a game like that puts most of the boys in the most intense playing conditions that they will have ever experienced and can be a defining moment in their playing careers. For many, it could be the first time that the boys are playing against a whole team with the same ability and size as themselves and they will have to play bloody hard every second of the game.

It will be interesting to see how the tight fives go against each other, despite the great strength and conditioning programmes at the two schools (NC and TSS) that the QLD tight five attend, it sounds as though they are still going to struggle for size and power against the NSW unit. It will be up to the likes of Wilkin and Junior to scrap for the loose possession and shut down NSW phase ball and try to deny NSW continuity. I believe that the QLD 10, Mitch Third, is a great play maker and while I will be happy to be proved wrong, do not think he has the outside backs that can finish off against quality opposition. So as much as it hurts, the head says NSW I, but the heart will always say QLD!!!!

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
From Lee grant's blog
NSW II 33 — Victoria 12
The first half was a game of two quarters.
NSW started out of the blocks quickly and racked up a couple of tries to 7. Brandon Paenga-Amosa, who went over from close-in and 14. Josh Mitchell ,who was given the ball with only grass and the goal posts in front of him scored the second.
It looked like the score-line was going to blow-out but Victoria settled after their early jitters and started to play some good rugby with 15. Jack Read running through gaps and 14, Ahmu Tuimaleali’ifano running around people.
Tuimaleali’ifano got a wide pass which by-passed defenders and he scored. Later skipper and LHP Feriti Sa’aga punched up thorough the middle to attract defenders and 10. Suasesi Iousa scored handily.
NSW II was still ahead, 14-12, at oranges but the Vics were getting confident.
The NSW lineouts were not going well and they were stopping at the ball in defensive rucks instead of trying to go past it, and not stopping runners coming around the corner.
But the second half was scored 19-0 to NSW and they were worth every point of it. They scored three tries — Mitchell went over again after a midfield break by others, 9. Joey Lussick backed himself on the blindside after NSW had been held up twice over the line, and 18. Francis Brown went over after 11. Tyson Davis had set up a good field position with a long run.
The wrap-up
Victoria ran out of puff in the second half as the NSW boys started to click.
The players
For Victoria, Read and Tuimaleali’ifano were difficult to handle, as mentioned. Iousa had a calm, mature match at flyhalf and in counterpoint 9. Matt Euse and 7. Ikapote Tupai had fiery, livewire games.
For NSW Lussick was often dominant and always seemed to make the right choice, though he is on the ball for a long time. 10. Jack Clancy was classy in facilitating others but lacked a bit of physicality sometimes. 13. Henry Hutchinson was dangerous with the ball but got barreled over a couple of times without it.
Anthony Vasilis, a backrower by choice is settling into the second row nicely, as is another big-engine backrower Ned Hanigan, a no.8; and Vasilis showed showed even more versatility by converting Brown’s try from the tram tracks.
NSW II – 33 [Tries: Josh Mitchell (2), Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Joey Lussick, Francis Brown. Conversions: Lussick (3) , Anthony Vasilis]
Victoria –12 [Tries: Ahmu Tuimaleali'ifano, Suaesi Iosua. Conversion: Iosua]

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
From Lee Grant's blog
Queensland II 31 — CAS 13
The CAS were in this game for a while.
Queensland 12. Conrad Quick had run an unders line in a gap to score a try and 11. Pedro Ikitau had got meat after the ball went through the hands, but for CAS, 10. Adrian Delore slotted a couple of penalty goals.
The score was Queensland 14-6 for a while and if CAS had not blown some of their chances, they could have been closer.
But in the second half Queensland scored two more tries for a bonus point, to one for CAS, to win comfortably .
The wrap-up
Although Queensland were far from cohesive they were at least more dynamic than CAS and their breakdown work was better. CAS were their own worst enemies and will have to combine better to cause their future opponents any grief.
The players
For CAS 15. Adrian Delore scored all their points and tried to hold the side together.
For Queensland: there’s not a lot of 15 Joshua Bowen-Bowyer but he’s a slippery customer that has to be stopped first time. I also liked the looks of hard-running Ranga 14. Campbell Magnay — and 7. Douglas MacMillan should take a bow on behalf of the backrow..
Queensland II – 31 [Tries: Conrad Quirk, Joshua Bowen-Bowyer, Pedro Ikitau, Ryan McCully. Conversions: Bowen-Bowyer (4 ). Penalty goal: Bowen-Bowyer.]
Combined States – 13 [Try: Adrian Delore. Conversion: Delore. Penalty goals: Delore (2).]
Queensland I 35 — ACT 19
Queensland was dominant early and 13. Landon Hayes went over after a scrum move; however winger Jason Tomane struck back for the ACT running through traffic. But then wriggly 9. Issak Fines went over to make the score 14-7 for Qld and it was that score for a while.
It looked like ACT would go into oranges within striking distance but lock Jake Upfield scored just before the hooter for Queensland; so at half time they led 21-7.
The ACT scored first after the break to threaten, but Queensland answered with two of them, then ACT finished the try scoring to make it two tries each in the second half.
The wrap-up
The ACT were a team of battlers who literally played above their weight because they had some small players.
On their first outing the Queensland I team don’t look as good as they have in recent years though it’s early days. They are always a younger side than the NSW team but I can’t remember seeing them play like it until yesterday. For all that, their bench was too strong for the ACT lads.
Despite some disconnection first time out they had some powerful ball runners who are going to be influential this week; but their backs lack the sizzle of recent Queensland I sides.
The Players
The ACT were kept in the game by some zippy, small or slight players such as scrummie Patrick Rumble, flyhalf Harrison Tyson and fullback Beau Donavan: brave roosters all.
Queensland’s strength was in their forwards especially power players 1. Evander Guttenbell and 2. Alex Mafi (though his throwing to the lineout wasn’t stellar). 6. Lolo Fakasilea didn’t have many runs but he threatened defenders when he did. Another Oz Schools player 7. Brad Wilkin played well but not better than the NSW I flankers in the following game.
Queensland I – 35 [Tries: Landon Hayes, Issac Fines, Jake Upfield, Michael Third, Evander Guttenbiel. Conversions: Third (5).]
ACT – 19 [Tries: Jason Tomane, Tyrel Lomax, Thomas Evans. Conversions: Harrison Tyson, Evans.]

DYEL

Bob McCowan (2)
Did not manage to make it to View today.
As a past front rower, I'm interested in hearing who were the best out of all of the front rowers today? Sandell, Mafi,Fifita etc?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did not manage to make it to View today.
As a past front rower, I'm interested in hearing who were the best out of all of the front rowers today? Sandell, Mafi,Fifita etc?

Rest day today. You didn't miss much.

WEDNESDAY 3rd JULY (all games First Field)
0900 Game 5: Div 1 – NSW II v ACT
1015 Game 6: Div 1 – NSW I v CS
1130 Game 7: Div 1 – QLD I v VIC
1300 Game 8: Div 1 – QLD II v WA
1420 Game 9: Div 2 – LMRDT v SA
1530 Game 10: Div 2 – TAS v NT

Source: http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=200855

Status
Not open for further replies.