• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Wow NZ didn't muck around with Aust A. Poor Kids, however you would think changes would be made. Aust v NZ on Saturday will be a good game.

Australia were far more structured than the Australia A side and that showed in the two games.

But you are correct in saying that it will be a good game Australia vs NZ on Saturday. There are some classy players in the Kiwi side and Australia looks a good outfit.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Australia A vs Kiwis (quick summary)
NZ 36 Aust A 0
Aussies started poorly and the Kiwis piled on the points through a dominant forwards game (they scored on of their tries off a rolling maul that went for 25 metres). Every one of their players looked sharp and they capitalised on the numerous mistakes that the Aussies made; the winds were howling mind you, so ball handling was relatively poor.

Credit to the Australians, who never stopped trying, they looked like they needed this game to get to blow out the cobwebs. Speaking of spiders (that's a tenuous link) the New Zealand number 10 must have had them all over him as the Aussies couldn't get near him. His display at fly-half was dominant, and he looked like a seasoned professional: Impressive.

If the Aussie A boys tighten up the 'D' around the 9-10 channel and hold on to the ball then I am sure that they'll put in a much better performance against the Fijians on Sat.

Australia vs Fiji (quick summary)
AUS 31 fiji 7
The Aussies looked extremely cohesive throughout the match and apart from some dropped ball, they were very impressive. A great start to the Aussies saw them race to an early lead through crisp backline plays coming from solid set-piece wins.

I was looking forward to watching the much talked about backline but it was the Aussies props and the number 7, Wilkin, who got my attention through hard work and grit. The 8 also looks a likely lad and had some strong carries.

The battle of the 12s was good to watch as the Fijian was as big as Moeroa, and they slogged it out in the midfield. The outside backs of Australia looked classy when they had open space and the young 16 year old, Hutchinson made the most of his opportunity with some decisive runs. They did, however, try too many cut out balls when a simple short pass would have sufficed, but that's being critical of a solid game of rugby.

I was a keen spectator and wish the boys well in their next game against the Kiwis.

Bill McLean (32)
Got to the second game! Morris played exceptionally well IMO! His work rate was excellent and he didn't take a backward step either; was also more than willing to truck it up into those big Fijian forwards!

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Thought Oz boys looked very slick in most areas of the game. Very good in the line outs and at the breakdown, Fiji seemed to struggle with their line out throws, given it was quite windy out there although a number were well overthrown resulting in turn overs. As mentioned the battle of the 12s was immense. Tepai running though early to set up the first try with the big Fiji 12 answering straight back on his next carry in a fantastic hit to send Tepai and ball flying.
Hutchinson was outstanding regardless of age although being 16 only adds to the performance. Would be hard to drop completely with Milne to return. The one area of concern was the delivery from 9. Too many times the ball fell at Deegans feet, overhead or above him breaking the rythym of the back line. I know much has been said of Shorts superior passing game although be it the wind or Fiji pressure it will need to improve markedly for the NZ game. Deegans himself was great in steering them round.
Given the performance of Fiji's tight five in Fridays win over NZ it has to also be mentioned that they were never given a chance in this game the Oz boys outplayed their counterparts all around the park. Looking forward to the NZ game as their boys will be buoyed by today's result and determined to right the last two years results.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
My snout says Milne issue is a minor hammie twinge, not ankle.

Liam Jurd from Toowoomba Grammar has been promoted from Aust A for tomorrows game. Milne should be OK for NZ.

Team List vs Fiji

1 Fereti Sa'aga
2 Alex Mafi
3 Vunipola Fifita
4 Ned Hanigan
5 Josh Anderson
6 Jack McCalman (c)
7 Brad Wilkin
8 Junior Fakasilea
9 Mitchell Short
10 Andrew Deegan
11 Adrian Henley
12 Tepai Moeroa
13 Henry Hutchison
14 Harry Jones
15 Andrew Kellaway (vc)

16 Evander Guttenbell
17 Connal McInerney
18 Fa'ape Satiu
19 Lachlan Cannell
20 Rohboni Warren-Vosayaco
21 Moses Sorovi
22 Mitchell Third
23 Liam Jurd

Who took Liam Jurd's spot in Aust A after he was promoted to 1's?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Official Results:
http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/

MACQUARIE BANK SCHOOLS RUGBY TRINATIONS SERIES 2013

MATCH 1: Fiji 22 (s Boletawa, R Laganikoro, S Nakailagi, L Nawai trie,s M. Nakolilevu con) defeated New Zealand 20(M. Karpik try, B. Garland 1try 2 con 1 pen) at St Marys RL Stadium. CROWD: 1200

MATCH 2: NEW ZEALAND SCHOOLS 36 (S Chonkit, I Tamaki, N Apa, M Karpik tries, D McKenzie 2 tries 3 con) Defeated AUSTRALIA A SCHOOLS 0

MATCH 3: AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS 31 (J Anderson, A Kellaway, R Warren-Vosayaco tries, A Deegan 2 tries 3 con) Defeated FIJIAN SCHOOLS 7 ( M Nakolilevu 1 try, 1 con) AT Knox Grammar School, CROWD: 2000.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Got to the second game! Morris played exceptionally well IMO! His work rate was excellent and he didn't take a backward step either; was also more than willing to truck it up into those big Fijian forwards!

@Newbie, Too many rangas in the schoolboys teams. :)
Morris (NEW) was in the first game vs NZ not Fiji.

I think #7 ranga in Schoolboys vs Fiji was Brad WILKIN from Iona College QLD. He played very well.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)

I think #7 ranga in Schoolboys vs Fiji was Brad WILKIN from Iona College QLD. He played very well.
How did everyone pull up ? How is Milne going, Any Team Changes ? Saturday's games will be a beauty !

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
How did everyone pull up ? How is Milne going, Any Team Changes ? Saturday's games will be a beauty !
I have Big Wraps on Rohboni Warren-Vosayaco, he is Tough as Nails, has some good quick speed and is Strong as a Bull. I would definitely take him on the European Tour and wouldn't leave him out.

Bill McLean (32)

LMAO@my_dumb_ass!

My sincerest apologies to the lad (and his family) for getting his name wrong! But don't rangas all look the same!

In all seriousness the lad was awesome! Hopefully be will neutralize NZ's Karpik on Saturday!

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Like all junior rugby tournaments (and league tournaments for that matter) that I have seen over the years, this will be about how well the respective touring squads will be able to maintain health and vibrancy! And unlike the Australian teams the tourists each have one extra (hard) game against the 'A' team!

It seemed like Fiji poured out their souls for that victory against NZ last night, and I truly wonder if they will have any reserve in the tank for their meeting against Australia?

First and foremost let me emphatically state from the outset that I am not taking anything away from the performance of Australia! As I stated before in my post (at #634 which also appears below) I believe the Australian schools have one of the best schoolboy back lines that I have seen in a long time.

HJ I honestly believe we have a way better backline, however I do have concerns about our forwards being able to match it with the NZ lads! I hope I'm wrong ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Nevertheless for mine Fiji did not have that same drive and determination, the same tenacity even, that they had last Friday night against NZ; at least not for the whole 75 minutes!

Nonetheless kudos to the Australian lads (and especially their coaching staff) because they outplayed and out thought the Fijians. Unlike the NZ team who thought they could just charge up the middle and run over the Fijians, and when knocked on their arses continued to do the same, Australia didn't. Yes, Australia (via Moeroa) tested the waters, but when it wasn't working they employed a chip and chase game which, which on numerous occasions, caught the Fijians out and had them going backwards!

As stated in my Fiji v NZ match report, the Fijians were always quickly advancing on their NZ opponents, creating pressure and forcing errors. IMO NZ should have adjusted the depth of their backline to counter the Fiji advance and employed of a chip and chase game like Australia did yesterday. Personally I believe the scoreline would have been more had it not been a windy day.

Nevertheless, the Fijians did lack that extra bounce they had last Friday, and IMHO it got worse as the game wore on. They looked spent! As stated in my earlier quote I did essentially expected the same given the physicality of the game with NZ last Friday? In addition one must take into account the NSW Country game; it all adds up and takes its toll!

Now Australia face NZ, and it will be very interesting to see how Australia now pull up given what was still a torrid and physical encounter with the FIjians. Compared with NZ's relative walk in the park against 'Australia A' I would hazard a guess and suggest that the fatigue of both teams would be relatively equal (perhaps a little in Australia's favour). supporting this view was the fact that when Australia was relatively safe on the scoreboard reserves were sent on en masse!

Admittedly I did have earlier reservations when I shared my (above) concern about the ability of Australia's forwards to deliver the requisite platform needed for their stealthy back line. My concern was exacerbated with the loss of Sandell. Alas it was all just paranoia on my part and I now firmly believe the Australian forwards will just have the wood over their NZ counterparts. Couple this with the current backline and you have a 7-10 point victory in Australia's favour! That's my call!

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
First and foremost let me emphatically state from the outset that I am not taking anything away from the performance of Australia! As I stated before in my post (at #634 which also appears below) I believe the Australian schools have one of the best schoolboy back lines that I have seen in a long time.

Nevertheless for mine Fiji did not have that same drive and determination, the same tenacity even, that they had last Friday night against NZ; at least not for the whole 75 minutes!

Nonetheless kudos to the Australian lads (and especially their coaching staff) because they outplayed and out thought the Fijians. Unlike the NZ team who thought they could just charge up the middle and run over the Fijians, and when knocked on their arses continued to do the same, Australia didn't. Yes, Australia (via Moeroa) tested the waters, but when it wasn't working they employed a chip and chase game which, which on numerous occasions, caught the Fijians out and had them going backwards!

As stated in my Fiji v NZ match report, the Fijians were always quickly advancing on their NZ opponents, creating pressure and forcing errors. IMO NZ should have adjusted the depth of their backline to counter the Fiji advance and employed of a chip and chase game like Australia did yesterday. Personally I believe the scoreline would have been more had it not been a windy day.

Nevertheless, the Fijians did lack that extra bounce they had last Friday, and IMHO it got worse as the game wore on. They looked spent! As stated in my earlier quote I did essentially expected the same given the physicality of the game with NZ last Friday? In addition one must take into account the NSW Country game; it all adds up and takes its toll!

Now Australia face NZ, and it will be very interesting to see how Australia now pull up given what was still a torrid and physical encounter with the FIjians. Compared with NZ's relative walk in the park against 'Australia A' I would hazard a guess and suggest that the fatigue of both teams would be relatively equal (perhaps a little in Australia's favour). supporting this view was the fact that when Australia was relatively safe on the scoreboard reserves were sent on en masse!

Admittedly I did have earlier reservations when I shared my (above) concern about the ability of Australia's forwards to deliver the requisite platform needed for their stealthy back line. My concern was exacerbated with the loss of Sandell. Alas it was all just paranoia on my part and I now firmly believe the Australian forwards will just have the wood over their NZ counterparts. Couple this with the current backline and you have a 7-10 point victory in Australia's favour! That's my call!
This NZ side will be Tough. The Defence is the key and especially in the Aust. Backline as there is some weakness there. You can't afford to let these Big Fast Kiwi Boys get their pace up all they will Mow you down. The Defence is my main Concern.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Where do you believe the weaknesses currently exist?
Without singling players out specific, the Defence side of things just needs to be watched. These Kiwi boys will be a handful and you can't let them get away from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.