• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You may be right - not a big deal.
What is a big deal, and I called it from the tournament, the M & M show won't work against good opposition.
2 years of mungo for them will destroy any chance of either developing a passing game.
If they can't do it now,it's too late.
A couple of years playing a very one dimensional game,has done little to develop their skills.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm waiting to download, and rewatch the game, from the link on the Aussie Schools Rugby site, but it's not available yet, anybody got any info

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Of course he would be happy.
Consecutive Premierships plus bragging points for "developing" 2 schoolboy reps.
Pity the narrow game plan taught them nothing about the game.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Elusive??? Elusive???? You haven't called. You haven't written... Hahaha...

As I stood there with a couple of the dads yesterday, it was interesting to hear the banter. Some bloke with a bad accent right behind Jack Macs dad made me laugh...
Bhí sé leat a dhuine uasail fíneáil?

Bill McLean (32)
Elusive??? Elusive???? You haven't called. You haven't written. Hahaha.

As I stood there with a couple of the dads yesterday, it was interesting to hear the banter. Some bloke with a bad accent right behind Jack Macs dad made me laugh.
Bhí sé leat a dhuine uasail fíneáil?

:DAnswer: No it wasn't. He was probably Fijian mate:D

:mad: PS: I had to ring my father for that translation and copped an earful as to why I should have learnt Gaelic like my older brother. Cheers for that one Brian?:mad:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Guaranteed no Mungo bore-athon watched here.

Friends over for a BBQ. Outside. Zero interest.
I confess to having attended.
Highlight was when they pulled the stage apart trying to work out where Ricky Martin had gone.
To keep this on topic: it is very easy to see what happens to kids who play loig. Haven't watched a game in the flesh for 5 years.
Unless you are the 6 or 7 you are positively discouraged from exploring attacking options and even then there is a formulaic approach.
And no more rubbish about how good loig defence is: it's hardly ever asked any hard questions.
Makes me disappointed for the kids and parents who let a few thousand dollars between 18 and 20 take them away from the game played in heaven.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... Makes me disappointed for the kids and parents who let a few thousand dollars between 18 and 20 take them away from the game played in heaven.

IS,

Would your opinion/view be swayed if the price tag was a minimum $15-25K for the first year of Holden Cup and doubling in the second year?

They are the figures representative players (i.e. state and/or national - from both Australia or NZ - rugby or league) coming into the Holden Cup are attracting. And I'm not even adding on the potential bonuses such lads will make if they play NRL during this time.

I remember my shock and dismay when Tuivasa-Scheck (2011 NZ Schools) signed for the Roosters; I knew we had issues in Australia but it also exposed NZ's problem as well. He would have been offered seriou dollars at the time of conversion.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS,
Would your opinion/view be swayed if the price tag was a minimum $15-25K for the first year of Holden Cup and doubling in the second year?

Depends what they do with the rest of their time - if they get a trade or some qualifications then my only worries are that you'll be trained to play like a robot, forget how to contest for possession (except on you own goal line under the high ball) and travel the eastern seaboard instead of the world.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS,

You seem pretty keen on the other code: I'd be interested to know if you think there's more chance of a kid from Saturday's games making the NRL or S15?
A lot of the parents seemed to be talking about player agents sniffing around and I assume they are mainly looking at league for these boys.

Bill McLean (32)
Depends what they do with the rest of their time - if they get a trade or some qualifications then my only worries are that you'll be trained to play like a robot, forget how to contest for possession (except on you own goal line under the high ball) and travel the eastern seaboard instead of the world.

Trade or Qualifications: there is now the 'Graduates of League' program. For example the Dragons have a relationship with Wollongong University and a fair few players on their roster attend this institute. I know UWS and ACPE are also on board as is TAFE.
Have a look at this link - http://www.uws.edu.au/newscentre/ne.../uws_partners_with_nrl_in_graduates_of_league

Trained like a robot: so true! Emphatically so!

Traveling the eastern seaboard: Hey they're all going to the northern England this month for the RLWC (don't all cheer at once it is such a dismal part of England - especially in winter)

Status
Not open for further replies.