• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Hardaker

Frank Row (1)
I have been watching the schoolboy Rugby at Riverview and I am unsure if it is the coaches job to get his side to win the competition or make sure
his players get game time to try and impress against tougher opposition. Either way the coach cannot win and I wouldn't be in their shoes for the world. They are doing their best so get behind them as no team needs controversy off the field.

Parents are paying good money to have their sons stay and play at Riverview in the competition and they are getting limited time and I blame the selection process.

In regards to NSW, they should pick a NSW 1 with no reserves. They then pick NSW 2 and name 4 or 5 reserves for that team.

The draw should be that NSW2 always play before NSW 1 no matter what 1/2 of the competition they are in and then the entire NSW2 side and reserves sit on the sideline as reserves for NSW1.

Parents are happy because their kids are getting plenty of game time and the kids are getting a chance to shine

Just my observation from watching the games and listening to the blogs.

PS

I don't consider myself an expert on Rugby Union, I have a League background except for my time at Sydney High in the 70's and we had a pretty good side.

Beware both codes the AFL IS GETTING UNDER OUR GUARD. Time to put them in their place and get behind grass roots Rugby and League

Hoffman Try

Frank Row (1)
Ultimately what I think matters little.
It's the selectors that count.
Fact is the NSW 1 backline was very pedestrian yesterday with the ball being shuffled sideways.
Happened time and time again from perfect line out ball straight from Frost into the hands of the scrum half.
It's up to the fly half to set his line better or take different options.
How he glides as an individual is irrelevant.
Would respectfully beg to disagree with whoever wrote the report.
But let's move on.
I have Goddard the ACT fly half as first choice in the Australian team.

Unfortunately for the NSW1 team, the selectors who picked the backline are to blame from my watching of their games. Pavlakis should have been fullback based on the form I have witnessed this year. Woodcock is a five eighth and should have been picked in the 2's in that position. That would have helped both teams and not had coaches constantly playing players out of their selected positions. I thought Donaldson played well yesterday in fact, considering that had been his first full game in his selected position. The try he set up on halftime showed great skills. QLD2 were hungrier though and NSW let two tries in down the right side out wide and one try off the kick off. Simple. That's where they lost the game. Moretti had a blinder again. Vuta at halfback for QLD was very good as were the two wingers. Their Number 8 Connors was outstanding. I do agree that the ACT five eighth Goddard has been very handy as has been Jimenez, their fullback. It has been great watching all the games and seeing all this great young rugby talent on show. I look forward to tomorrow.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
n

Wow-I thought I could rely on your expertise-sorry for asking.I will not ask for feedback again without your approval.

Do not expect Rachet 84 to help:this is a guy who names and shames young boys who are out on the paddock having a go( as Rudyard Kipling said"it is not the critic that counts"")

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Unfortunately for the NSW1 team, the selectors who picked the backline are to blame from my watching of their games. Pavlakis should have been fullback based on the form I have witnessed this year. Woodcock is a five eighth and should have been picked in the 2's in that position. That would have helped both teams and not had coaches constantly playing players out of their selected positions. I thought Donaldson played well yesterday in fact, considering that had been his first full game in his selected position. The try he set up on halftime showed great skills. QLD2 were hungrier though and NSW let two tries in down the right side out wide and one try off the kick off. Simple. That's where they lost the game. Moretti had a blinder again. Vuna at halfback for QLD was very good as were the two wingers. Their Number 8 Connors was outstanding. I do agree that the ACT five eighth Goddard has been very handy as has been Jimenez, their fullback. It has been great watching all the games and seeing all this great young rugby talent on show. I look forward to tomorrow.

Hoffman Try,

I have no more to add to your astute comments, you are absolutely spot on.
Those were my observations to a word.

Hoffman Try

Frank Row (1)
To all those boys that have played in this tournament, you should be all very proud of yourselves. Please remember that whatever announcements are made regarding teams tomorrow, that is not the end of your rugby journey. Selectors are only a few people who think someone is better than you in a selected position. I can throw a few names at you off the cuff..... Nick Farr-Jones and Phil Kearns never played first grade at their high schools, both at Newington, let alone play in the tournament you have all played in. David Campese was never an Australian Schoolboy, neither was George Gregan. I'm sure you would all agree they were all fairly handy players! If you love your rugby, keep playing and practising your skills and you never know what may happen!

I will look forward to watching some of the names in my program progress in the future, whether you stay in rugby or rugby league.

Also remember that rugby is a great game whatever level you reach. The mate ships will last a lifetime.

All the best to all the players and thank your parents for helping you get to where you are today!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone have a predicted/speculated 23?

Getwithme,

I will have a go and will put down a few boys for the same position as it is sohard to pick, good luck to the selectors.
I will though pick 1 boy who I think is a standout in a certain position.

I also think the feedback will be hard and I understand this as i, like no one, understands the ability of all the boys, we can also only go on what we have seen in this tournament, and I will strongly point out throughout the year, so it is more than just this tournament.

1. Angus Bell/ Bo Abra
2. Lachlan Loneregan/Will Johnson.
3. Finn Wright/Darcy Breen.
4.Harry Wilson6.Max Douglass.
5. Nick Frost/Trevor Hosea.
6. Luca Moretti.
7.Donny Freeman/Liam Cornish.
8. Charlie Rorke/Hunter Ward.
9. Marco Bell/Josh Vuta.
10.Ben Donaldson/Campbell Parata.
11. Albert Hopoate/Will Lloyd.
12. Brooklyn Hardaker/Ed Poolman.
13. Jordan Petaia.
14.Jangala Bennet/Tom Yassmin.
15. Brendan Jimenez/Mike Pavlakis.

I think many of these boys will be there, but I am now going on Holidays to duck from the feedback, all I can ask for is a clap for having the balls to spice up the approaching conversations.

My choices have also taken into account what it may take to beat the NZ school boys, so I haven't necessarily chosen a team that is classically structured as I believe this will NOT defeat an NZ team.
I have chosen a running rugby squad that could put more points on then a classical NZ team can chase down.

Let the war begin!

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Predictions for tomorrow? In the top two play offs:

- Can N1 regroup and show the same form as games 1 and 2 or are will Q1 come out, live up to their potential and get the better of a team which wil no doubt be doing some soul searching after a shock loss against a very good Q2 team.

- ACT v Q2 should be be a belter if the boys from up north can reproduce their form v N1.

With it all on the line selection wise, and notwithstanding injuries hampering the N1 boys, I think they'll show their mettle and class to take it by 10.

ACT have played as the most cohesive TEAM (if not all individual stars) throughout and if they stay that way, I reckon they'll sneak home by 2.

Good luck to all the boys who've made it this far and I'm sure the selectors will be doing their best to get it right.

Hoffman Try

Frank Row (1)
Predictions for tomorrow? In the top two play offs:

- Can N1 regroup and show the same form as games 1 and 2 or are will Q1 come out and live up to their potential?

- ACT v Q2 should be be a belter if the boys from up north can reproduce their form v N1.

With it all on the line selection wise, and notwithstanding injuries hampering the N1 boys, I think they'll show their mettle and class to take it by 10.

ACT have played as the best cohesive TEAM (if not all individual stars) throughout and if they stay that way, I reckon they'll sneak home by 2.

Good luck to all the boys who've made it this far and I'm sure the selectors will be doing their best to get it right.

I think QLD 2 will get up for the main game.. ACT have scraped home in 3 games ....Vuta man of the match...

NSW 1 and QLD 1 I think will depend on the backline formation. Surely Hardaker, if fit, deserves a full game at 12?...NSW1 by 10

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I think QLD 2 will get up for the main game.. ACT have scraped home in 3 games ..Vuta man of the match.

NSW 1 and QLD 1 I think will depend on the backline formation. Surely Hardaker, if fit, deserves a full game at 12?.NSW1 by 10

The Hoff,

I also believe QLD 2 will win.

I will also say if Hardaker actually gets a real chance you will see how brilliant he really is, and if he and Donaldson have a chance to play together, finally, as should have happened in the beginning,NSW1 will win by plenty.

I also guess that this will be dismissed by those who made all the wrong decisions throughout the tournament BUT it will be extremely obvious to everyone present.

Tomorrow will tell.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In regards to NSW, they should pick a NSW 1 with no reserves. They then pick NSW 2 and name 4 or 5 reserves for that team.

that creates additional problems if you intention is to replace in 1s from 2s and their reserves.
IIRC the process they picked the first then they pick the seconds then they pick the reserves for 1s and then reserves for 2s: no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To all those boys that have played in this tournament, you should be all very proud of yourselves. Please remember that whatever announcements are made regarding teams tomorrow, that is not the end of your rugby journey. Selectors are only a few people who think someone is better than you in a selected position. I can throw a few names at you off the cuff... Nick Farr-Jones and Phil Kearns never played first grade at their high schools, both at Newington, let alone play in the tournament you have all played in. David Campese was never an Australian Schoolboy, neither was George Gregan. I'm sure you would all agree they were all fairly handy players! If you love your rugby, keep playing and practising your skills and you never know what may happen!

I will look forward to watching some of the names in my program progress in the future, whether you stay in rugby or rugby league.

Also remember that rugby is a great game whatever level you reach. The mate ships will last a lifetime.

All the best to all the players and thank your parents for helping you get to where you are today!

Channeling Hugh Jarse

Status
Not open for further replies.