• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Short Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great game today between Vic Schoolboys and NWSJRU U18. The Vics start off the strong with a couple of quick tries, and scoring 4 tries with one conversion in the first half. NSW are kept to nil. NSW come back strong second half scoring three tries. Vics were able to make a late surge to score three tries, no conversions. Final Score Vic Schoolboys 37-17 NSWJRU U18.

Did you manage to get any team lists from the match?

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ladies and gents boys and girls,
Nationals is upon us and Im looking forward to see some good schoolboys rugby games.
The mystery of who will make State and Territory teams have been revealed. Some predictable selections and some 'interesting selections there especially with the Qld 2 team. Lets see who will emerge from the pack.
Who's bold to put up a propable list based on your knowledge and observation of the State teams for this yrs Nationals?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Queensland Schoolboys sides have been selected following the culmination of the Queensland Rugby Football Schools Union trials at Ballymore.

Queensland I
Manager: Gavin Hosking, St Laurence’s College
Coach: Michael Crank, Mt Maria College
Assistant Coach: Rod Seib, St Stephen’s College

Queensland II
Manager: Ben Cameron, Kingston State College
Coach: Mark Moxon, Ignatius Park College
Assistant Coach: David Cooke, Cleveland District State

details here http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...17-Queensland-Schoolboys-teams-announced.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vuta in the II's? The other 9 must be good.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ladies and gents boys and girls,
Nationals is upon us and Im looking forward to see some good schoolboys rugby games.
The mystery of who will make State and Territory teams have been revealed. Some predictable selections and some 'interesting selections there especially with the Qld 2 team. Lets see who will emerge from the pack.
Who's bold to put up a propable list based on your knowledge and observation of the State teams for this yrs Nationals?

....And the mystery of who has made the COMBINED STATES TEAM is revealed ......

21dc3b692db90249a79d1ab385f00a7f.png

Combined States Squad 2017

Alphabetical Order:

NSW - Charlie Baker
The Scot's College

NSW - Stewart Brown
Central Coast Grammar

QLD - Harrison Cannon
St Joseph's College, Nudgee

NSW - Cooper Chambers
Trinity Grammar School

QLD - Isaac Crone
Brisbane State High School

NSW - Brady Dawson
Knox Grammar School

NSW - Joel Ellis
Waverley College

NSW - Dougal Hicks
The King's School

NSW - Ben Joseph
The Scot's College

QLD - Emmit Keepa
Ipswich Grammar School

QLD - Jeremy Kempston
Ipswich Grammar School

QLD - William Kirk
St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace

NSW - Willie Manu
St Augustine's College

NSW - Will McCormick
Waverley College

NSW - Michael Pavlakis
Knox Grammar School

NSW - Tristan Reilly
St Joseph's College, Hunters Hill

NSW - James Sidery
St Augustine's College

QLD - Davida Stowers
Ipswich Grammar School

QLD - Bruce Tevaga
Padua College

QLD - Emosi Tuqirie
Marist College, Ashgrove

NSW - Harry Turner - #7
Epping Boys High School

NSW - Jack Walsh
St Augustine's College

NSW - Jack Winchester
Bishop Druitt College

NSW: 15 players
QLD: 8 players
Total: 23

Ive added the States the players are from, however could those who know the positions the boys play, please add them next to their name.

Cheers

http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2017/news/combined-states-team-national-championships-announced/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting to note that after the completion of the NSW Schools Trials, and the selection of NSW 1 & 2, there were 15 lads identified as "Shadow" players. When the Combined States squad was announced a few days later, it included 15 players from NSW, of which only 8 were from the Shadow squad. Where did the other 7 come from?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Interesting to note that after the completion of the NSW Schools Trials, and the selection of NSW 1 & 2, there were 15 lads identified as "Shadow" players. When the Combined States squad was announced a few days later, it included 15 players from NSW, of which only 8 were from the Shadow squad. Where did the other 7 come from?

Interesting?????? such are the tribulations of selections:rolleyes:.

I would assume that the mystery 7, were players that had been ruled out through injury but have been subsequently ruled fit enough to play.

What positions did these players "parachute" into? Care to name names???

The other alternative is that the 7 that remain as shadow players are remaining there to cover positions that NSW Schools feel are likely to need filling. Has been known to happen in the past.

Must say though that if a player was selected as a shadow and then was leapfrogged by someone who didn't trial or did trial but wasn't selected as a shadow, IMHO they should be rightly pissed off :mad:

Unless I am missing the obvious. Anyone able to shed any light?

Does that also mean they will bring in an extra 7 shadow players?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I presume that the 7 were already selected ahead of the shadow selections. Just not made public until the rest of the combined states announced.

Because they would have to wait for other states to nominate players for this team and then work out what they had to fill.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I presume that the 7 were already selected ahead of the shadow selections. Just not made public until the rest of the combined states announced.

Because they would have to wait for other states to nominate players for this team and then work out what they had to fill.

Thanks HB, I cant fault your logic. If that is the case, the boys who were picked up by Combined States from the NSW shadow squad are very lucky that the first choices for CS were already selected by their home states........

Good luck to CS, I hope they knock off some of their favoured opposition (like last year) and a few are rewarded with Aust Schoolboys or Barbarian selections!

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thanks HB, I cant fault your logic. If that is the case, the boys who were picked up by Combined States from the NSW shadow squad are very lucky that the first choices for CS were already selected by their home states....

Good luck to CS, I hope they knock off some of their favoured opposition (like last year) and a few are rewarded with Aust Schoolboys or Barbarian selections!
Which would make perfect sense for those boys that we thought were very unlucky not to have made I OR II . . Reilly being a most notable one.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)

Different selectors I believe... thus why some shadows were also selected in CS and others weren't in favour of other players. Happened last year too.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
Different selectors I believe. thus why some shadows were also selected in CS and others weren't in favour of other players. Happened last year too.

# The selectors for Combined State are Aus schoolboy aligned whilst the selectors who picked NSW teams and NSW shadow players are aligned with NSW schoolboys. So yeah two separate group of selectors, just goes to show Aus selectors are thinking differently to NSW selectors.

In 2016 the Combined States finished 3rd overall and had 6 players collectively in the two Aus teams.
COMBINED STATES TEAM FOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS ANNOUNCED

by ASRU on June 25, 2017 in News
COMBINED STATES TEAM FOR NATONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS ANNOUNCED
The Australian Schools Rugby Union (ASRU) has announced the 23 players selected to take part in the Championships being held in Sydney at Riverview College from 3rd to 8th July –next week.

The Combined States Team is selected from players not selected in their State Team, but who the Australian selectors think are worthy of this ,and who may then be still in the running for one of the Australian Teams.

Quite e few players over the years have done this, for example –the son of ARU CEO Bill Pulver was in the Combined Sates Team and was then selected in the Australian Schoolboys Team.

The Australian Schoolboys teams will be announced after the games at Riverview at 1.30 p.m. on Saturday 8th July. The final of the Championships is at 11.30 a.m.
THE TEAM IS , in alphabetical order–

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
# The selectors for Combined State are Aus schoolboy aligned whilst the selectors who picked NSW teams and NSW shadow players are aligned with NSW schoolboys. So yeah two separate group of selectors, just goes to show Aus selectors are thinking differently to NSW selectors.
It doesn't show that at all.
The side is picked from what is left over after NSW (and Others) have picked their squads.
Why they chose to single out Pulver's kid is a mystery: a truckload of CS players have made oz schools, reflecting the political process which is NSW Schools selection, and no doubt QLDs as well.
Hugh jarse is sorely missed in these parts at these times.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
The side is picked from what is left over after NSW (and Others) have picked their squads.
Why they chose to single out Pulver's kid is a mystery: a truckload of CS players have made oz schools, reflecting the political process which is NSW Schools selection, and no doubt QLDs as well.

I am referring to the NSW shadow players..... Just because NSW selectors had selected shadow players for NSW team does not mean the Aus Selectors are going to select them for Combined States. Like I said NSW selectors have a different view to the Aus selectors. For the your info it is in their own media release that Aus selectors select Combined States -

The Combined States Team is selected from players not selected in their State Team, but who the Australian selectors think are worthy of this ,and who may then be still in the running for one of the Australian Teams.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Esai Haanangana (sorry if the spelling is rong) played CS last year and made starting Lock for Schoolboys. And I believe the only 2016 schoolboy to play Super this year.

That's a better example.

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Esai Haanangana (sorry if the spelling is rong) played CS last year and made starting Lock for Schoolboys. And I believe the only 2016 schoolboy to play Super this year.

That's a better example.

Yes you're correct HB,

(maybe not with the spelling of Esei's name but hey! you wouldn't be the first and definitely won't be the last! . :)

Esei Ha'angana
Who was a NSW CCC school boy played in CS last year and was the starting lock for Aus School boys, he then went on to captain the Melbourne U20's flowing onto signing a super rugby contract in 2016. His first debut for the Melbourne Rebels was in May of this year having just turned 18 years and 15 days old! making him their youngest ever debutant!

I guess what needs to be seen here is.... Combined States Team should not be seen as just a team of "left overs!" from school state selections, but rather a team of players (recognised by Aus Selectors) as having as much rugby talent and chance to receive higher honours as those players selected for their 1st and 2nd States teams
"Never under estimate what we may see as the under dog"
for that presumption, could come back and bite us al"

It would be very interesting to find out how many players from the NSW I & NSW II teams who made the Aus school boys - Aus Barbarian squads last year, if they would have similar success stories as Esei?

For example:
Dylan Pietsch NSW GPS -
NSWI - Aus Barbarian 2016 signed an ARU 7's contract June of this year 2017 locked in until August 2019.

S

sidelineview

The Combined States team came 3rd in the Nationals last year.
They defeated Victoria in their play-off on the final day.

To show how close the competition was last year, NSW2s who won it over NSW1, only just scraped into the Final by the skin of their teeth over Victoria. NSW2s gained a bonus point in their loss to Qld1 by less than 7 points.

Combined States were a very good team and like NSW2s they gelled really well as a team during the week. In contrast, NSW1s didnt come together as well as a team.

Jordan Petaia from Qld was one of their best players for CS at only 17 years of age. He went onto play for the Barbarians and was earmarked as a rising star. As expected, he has been selected for Qld1 this year.

EDIT Petaia was 16 and the Qld 9 must be good.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It would be very interesting to find out how many players from the NSW I & NSW II teams who made the Aus school boys - Aus Barbarian squads last year, if they would have similar success stories as Esei?

For example:
Dylan Pietsch NSW GPS -
NSWI - Aus Barbarian 2016 signed an ARU 7's contract June of this year 2017 locked in until August 2019.

I think most are in clubland, some may have played in Super U20. Pretty sure some of the ACT boys did, Lonergan and Gerowski and I know Eadie was playing for QLD.

Hunter Paisami (VIC) played 13 for AU schoolboys, was playing for Samoa in the recent U20 world cup.

But most of these players will come through next year in the U20 state teams.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
To show how close the competition was last year, NSW2s who won it over NSW1, only just scraped into the Final by the skin of their teeth over Victoria. NSW2s gained a bonus point in their loss to Qld1 by less than 7 points.

Combined States were a very good team and like NSW2s they gelled really well as a team during the week. In contrast, NSW1s didnt come together as well as a team
There was a great lesson in there for all players aspiring to higher level - play as a team and individual success is much more likely to follow. Play as an individual and selectors may well overlook you, even if highly fancied in pre match punditry.

S

sidelineview

There was a great lesson in there for all players aspiring to higher level - play as a team and individual success is much more likely to follow. Play as an individual and selectors may well overlook you, even if highly fancied in pre match punditry.

True, but it depends on the dynamics within the team. Player personalities, coaches, managers.
Sometimes it gels sometimes it doesnt.

Some players bring so much more to a team than is evident from the sideline watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.