• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

^ I can’t see it being that close

I see the ultimate final as a very intriguing match up - there is obviously some very good ball running power athletes in the NSW 1 pack , but interestingly , the scrum didn’t best ACT’s starters in the opening exchanges.

I question the balance of their pack that have been able to steam roll smaller opponents - but how are they going to go against a pack that can compete with them on size / power AND slow their ball down ?

It sort of the issue in Junior development pathways . We’ve “leagueised” value systems in what we’re easily impressed by at a superficial level and then scratch our heads when the inevitable underperformance comes against players / teams that are more balanced, all purpose , and know how to play to win

OK you've got big raps on the QLDI team and predict them to win both matches.
You might be right.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well I actually didn’t say that so I give you back the words you tried to put in my mouth

But for the record I don’t think QLD 1 and NSW 2 will be that close

S

sidelineview

Well I actually didn’t say that so I give you back the words you tried to put in my mouth

But for the record I don’t think QLD 1 and NSW 2 will be that close

Sorry. You were just generalising about teams destined for the inevitable underperformance against teams that are more balanced. Youre more familiar with QLDI team.
They do look be a very well balanced team and anything can happen in a Final given that they make it

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)
Update from the Div 2 Nationals and Gold Coast Rugby Carnival

Day 4 - A very successful day for NSWJRU U18s against some good competition. The boys had a physical game against a large Auckland schools team - Pakuranga, winning 34-0. For most of boys they faced their first Haka. Then backed up straight after in what was a tough schedule to post a good win against South Australia 38-0.

View attachment 10098View attachment 10099View attachment 10100

Are they eligible for selection in Schoolboys and Barbarians?

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)

Unfortunately not under current arrangements - although they are all U18 (so are correct age)...
And ironically at least one was in the Aust Schoolboys/Barbarians mix last year as an U17 - but now is excluded because he left school young...
I imagine that Qld would have a number of these types of lads too as they seem to leave school younger than NSW counterparts

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)

An Interesting read about Gen Blue Development pathways U16 - U20 on the Green and Gold Rugby site, I thought would help with understanding the URC ( U19 National comp)

There’s also a podcast - The dropped kick off by Nick Wasiliev with Cutch explaining in more detail the Waratahs Gen Blue vision going forward

Nick W got the chance to sit down with NSW Waratahs Elite Youth Development Manager Pat McCutcheon to talk about the new tournament, how Gen Blue fits into NSW’s rugby pathways, and his process for creating a good rugby player.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the-dropped-kick-off-3-generation-blue-with-pat-mccutcheon/

Creating the Future Rugby Player with Pat McCutcheon

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/creating-the-future-rugby-player-with-pat-mccutcheon/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Western Australia Starting #9 looks to be a great young playing does anyone think he’s in contention for the 40man squad

Knoxdad, I was at Riverview yesterday and watched the final match between WA and NSW2. There was an ambulance called for a WA boy who appeared to sustain a concussion and/or neck injury, and I fear it was their number 9.

I could well be wrong on the player, but it was a significant injury that paused play for 20 odd minutes.

The boy was stretchered off on a spinal board pending the arrival of an ambulance, so hopefully that was an indication that the injury was not too serious.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
None of the kids playing at the Gold Coast are schoolboys. They are under 18s playing either Colts or Opens in the SJRU comp.

This is essentially a pathway for the boys who finish year 12 younger than their cohort and don't turn 18 to the following year.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ I can’t see it being that close

I see the ultimate final as a very intriguing match up - there is obviously some very good ball running power athletes in the NSW 1 pack , but interestingly , the scrum didn’t best ACT’s starters in the opening exchanges.

I question the balance of their pack that have been able to steam roll smaller opponents - but how are they going to go against a pack that can compete with them on size / power AND slow their ball down ?

It sort of the issue in Junior development pathways . We’ve “leagueised” value systems in what we’re easily impressed by at a superficial level and then scratch our heads when the inevitable underperformance comes against players / teams that are more balanced, all purpose , and know how to play to win
Couldn’t agree more, rugby teams need balance. Near impossible to win a game of rugby without the ball. Most teams look good when winning easy , the true test is when it becomes a grind and the powerful ball runners need to work hard for their fair share of possession . What do they have left after the hard work has been done ?
Guess we will see....

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Whilst it’s great to see the NSW JRU u18s doing well in Qld, and continuing to play rugby post school (for most), it’s worth keeping it in perspective. They lost 4 tries to nil vs the 3rd picked GPS team (Blue) - boys not selected for GPS v CAS and CHS - a couple of weeks ago. So on that form at least, it doesn’t seem that a lot of the u18s would have been knocking on the door of schoolboys and baabaas

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Whilst it’s great to see the NSW JRU u18s doing well in Qld, and continuing to play rugby post school (for most), it’s worth keeping it in perspective. They lost 4 tries to nil vs the 3rd picked GPS team (Blue) - boys not selected for GPS v CAS and CHS - a couple of weeks ago. So on that form at least, it doesn’t seem that a lot of the u18s would have been knocking on the door of schoolboys and baabaas

Possibly you did not see that game? (it was a bludger of a night)
The scoreline of the GPS Blue game isn't reflective of the final NSWJRU U18 team's strength - and in fact they dominated the GPS Blue game but dropped ball over line about 4 times and GPS in turn scored an intercept and a breakaway try to make scoreline look far more impressive.
Add to that that half the final NSWJRU team played vs GPS White on that night too.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Possibly you did not see that game? (it was a bludger of a night)
The scoreline of the GPS Blue game isn't reflective of the final NSWJRU U18 team's strength - and in fact they dominated the GPS Blue game but dropped ball over line about 4 times and GPS in turn scored an intercept and a breakaway try to make scoreline look far more impressive.
Add to that that half the final NSWJRU team played vs GPS White on that night too.

Fair enough but the NSWII team had a 5 all draw in a very entertaining game that night against GPS white (4ths)

Not denigrating the boys efforts but CNP has a point.

bignoofa

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fair enough but the NSWII team had a 5 all draw in a very entertaining game that night against GPS white (4ths)

Not denigrating the boys efforts but CNP has a point.

As I'm sure you know but a couple boys from GPS sides that night were selected in CS side ...wasn't a pushover side and yes the nsw18s side was split between the 2 sides and was used as a selection trial ...there are plenty of great players outside the school system that have chosen to follow trades. Etc

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bignoofa

Allen Oxlade (6)
As I'm sure you know but a couple boys from GPS sides that night were selected in CS side .wasn't a pushover side and yes the nsw18s side was split between the 2 sides and was used as a selection trial .there are plenty of great players outside the school system that have chosen to follow trades. Etc

And correct me if I'm wrong didn't GPS white bear GPS blue in first game

bignoofa

Allen Oxlade (6)
And correct me if I'm wrong didn't GPS white bear GPS blue in first game

And I think you would be pressed to find a game played in poorer conditions the entire centre of the pitch was a mud bog

S

sidelineview

ACT 14 VIC 11
I only saw the 2nd half but a big effort by VIC.
By the same token excellent defence from ACT, especially goal line defence.
Ditri played 8 and scored a strong try from a scrum.
From VIC, the commentators were impressed by 2 Carter, 7 Stone and 14 Fonua

CS were leading WA 12-5 at HT but an intercept try to WA straight after makes it 12-12

bignoofa

Allen Oxlade (6)
ACT 14 VIC 11
I only saw the 2nd half but a big effort by VIC.
By the same token excellent defence from ACT, especially goal line defence.
Ditri played 8 and scored a strong try from a scrum.
From VIC, the commentators were impressed by 2 Carter, 7 Stone and 14 Fonua

CS were leading WA 12-5 at HT but an intercept try to WA straight after makes it 12-12
Stone was tireless is 1st half very strong

Status
Not open for further replies.