• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys / Under 18s 2019

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hey WLF.. how are you?? long time no speak.... great game. Australia's team had no weakness. best schoolboy side in a long time.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hey WLF.. how are you?? long time no speak.. great game. Australia's team had no weakness. best schoolboy side in a long time.

Great Rod, hope you are also well.
Yep a very good Aussie team, wish it would 1 day translate into Wallabies!

I am looking forward to the next 3 years of school footy, and turning the tables on the Red Men!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker will be ok next year but to do a threepete is not realistic..... We have had the privileged of having Pollard in the 1st XV for 3 years and Reimer before that. Those types of players are normally once every 20 years at any one school. we had them simultaneously....Is your boy likey to were the double V next year? I think Waves and Knox will be next years front runners. I have to do a bit more research on Barkers outlook for 2020....

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I think he’s got 1 year left of school as well but NRL clubs are sniffing around if he’s not already signed.

I think he’s got 1 year left of school as well but NRL clubs are sniffing around if he’s not already signed.

Hello up the Guts, Yes he is in year 11 and will part of the 150 year celebration of schoolboy Rugby being played in Australia.So a big year for Newington and Kings next year. With stars in both Newington and Kings teams. Meaning the the Aust/U18 2020 team, could be strong as well next year.

B

Bobby Sands

What has changed with our schoolboys and U20s? Why are we winning now?

Were we always this good, and just not prepared well or is this crop just genuinely better?

I assume most will say a mixture of both, and while that may be true, it is a very promising trend.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Barker will be ok next year but to do a threepete is not realistic... We have had the privileged of having Pollard in the 1st XV for 3 years and Reimer before that. Those types of players are normally once every 20 years at any one school. we had them simultaneously..Is your boy likey to were the double V next year? I think Waves and Knox will be next years front runners. I have to do a bit more research on Barkers outlook for 2020..

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What has changed with our schoolboys and U20s? Why are we winning now?

Were we always this good, and just not prepared well or is this crop just genuinely better?

I assume most will say a mixture of both, and while that may be true, it is a very promising trend.

Certainly seems to have improved since the academy system was reintroduced. Which is great. Some pundits took to calling this year's U20s as the next 'golden generation's. Which I hated. For that to be true we need a good 5-6 years of really strong Schools/18s squads followed by minimum semi final appearances at the JWC.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Yes Rod, you had 2 of the best recently, however, both Barker teams were strong.
The Waves next year will have a log jam in the Opens, with many 1sts and CAS unbeaten 2nds returning, 2 of the 1sts centres will enjoy their 3rd year, and the season unbeaten 16as will also join the scene.
My bloke has these 2 in front of him and others, but being in year 11, time will tell, as you know a lot can change between now and the season start. Agree Barker and Knox will be solid, and as has been pointed out there are several superstars in the Aussie school boys team and gen blue from the GPS schools.
In the year 2021, there will be probably 6 school teams that would win their respective comps in any other year, that's how strong that year will be, which should flow on to the school boys.
Keep watching!

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Two from two.
From Australian Schools Rugby site, 4th October:
In a very high standard game the Aust Schools BBs beat a strong Samoan Schools Team 31-23.
The Samoans came into the game with three wins behind them in Nowra, Canberra and Bathurst.
The Australian Schools Barbarians (Aust A) were playing their first and only game.
It was a very fast moving and running game. The Samoans got away to a quick start leading 10-0 after just ten minutes
Australia caught up to have a narrow lead at half time, and got some quick scores in the second half, but Samoa kept up strong attack to be threatening right up to full time.
The game was played under lights at Knox Grammar school with a good crowd of approx 2,000 present.