• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys / Under 18s 2019

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just had a look at the team lists for the Schoolboys Champs at Riverview starting today that are up on the Australian Schools Rugby website.

Cannot see any double ups in the Vic Schools team named and the Rebels Academy team that played Reds Academy on the 30/06

Only two lads in Keenan Timu and Mac Grealy across both QLD 1 & 2 that played in the same game as above.

Does anyone from NSW or ACT know how many Academy boys are lining up for their respective schoolboys teams?

Looks like all games will be up as replays on the Australian Schools Rugby website.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
No stream but replay up by 8pm on www.schoolsrugby.com.au

QLD I lead NSW II by 28-7 at one stage of game.

Thursday game

QLD II to play Barbarian
QLD I to play winner of Combined State and Victoria
NSW I to play ACT
NSW II to play loser of CS and VIC

spud

Peter Burge (5)
As far as I remember these games were live streamed last year at rugby.com.au. Is that not the case this year?

No as ARU do not fund this tournament anymore which is beyond me. The games are uploaded on the Australian School Rugby facebook page.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
BTW...

66131895_390095438532274_4679066259935985664_n.png

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Who were the standouts from todays games?
Of the three games I saw (didn't see all of CS v Vic) the best of the NSW players were:
  • Tom Gratwicke (NSW 1s)
  • Nick Russell (NSW 2s)
  • Tom Hannan (Cavaliers Barbs)
ACT 10 (Tony Alofipo) was very impressive

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
That was really hard to watch. First day jitters? Overall pretty ordinary standard.
Some very strange coaching decisions.

Hopefully it will improve over next few games

Ruckedknee

Stan Wickham (3)
That was really hard to watch. First day jitters? Overall pretty ordinary standard.

Which game(s) are you referring to? Although I agree re first game jitters (I saw the last 3 games)

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)

Have to agree. I thought it was just me, but there are boys not playing here that have been overlooked by the system. Its a politically nightmare.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)

PNUT
If one of the 'strange coaching decisions' you refer to is game plan, then I would agree.
In the NSW 1s match, the 'plan' seemed to be to get the ball as wide as possible as soon as posible, and when you run out of room, throw some miraculous flick or kick to keep the ball in play.
It's hard to think that a coach would have suggested this, but someone in the NSW 1s decided to do it anyway.
There was no hitting up by the forwards, no phasing, no structure.
Perhaps it was the Joeys crew just going out to show their combinations, but it didn't work and has maybe hurt all their chances of selection further up the line.
If not for some Lachlan Albert individual brilliance in scoring the try late in the first half, that game could have easily swung Qld 2s way.
A comfortable scoreline in the end, but weren't they expected to beat Qld minus their best 50 odd players by more?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
From having a close looks at last year's NSW U16's the thing that struck me was that top line talent depth seemed to drop off pretty quickly beyond the best 10 to 12 players in NSW 1 ( and like 2 to 3 in NSW 2 )

That was telling down the stretch in the final when NSW 1 ran their subs on and QLD 1 gained ascendancy in what had been an arm wrestle until that point with QLD 1 up one try

I'm guessing a lot of those names are running around in NSW 1 and 2 again this year ? Or maybe not ?

Does anyone know if there has been much migration from last year's 16's program in NSW to this year's Open Schoolboys ?

To note for NSW supporters , for mine , some of the best back talent that is available for the QLD teams are playing 2's ......Mac Grealy, Pat Elekana and Hamish Muir

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)
PNUT
If one of the 'strange coaching decisions' you refer to is game plan, then I would agree.
In the NSW 1s match, the 'plan' seemed to be to get the ball as wide as possible as soon as posible, and when you run out of room, throw some miraculous flick or kick to keep the ball in play.
It's hard to think that a coach would have suggested this, but someone in the NSW 1s decided to do it anyway.
There was no hitting up by the forwards, no phasing, no structure.
Perhaps it was the Joeys crew just going out to show their combinations, but it didn't work and has maybe hurt all their chances of selection further up the line.
If not for some Lachlan Albert individual brilliance in scoring the try late in the first half, that game could have easily swung Qld 2s way.
A comfortable scoreline in the end, but weren't they expected to beat Qld minus their best 50 odd players by more?

just letting you know your Cavs bias is shining through despite your anonymity.

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)
Interesting assertion!
Perhaps revisit posts 98 and 101 to get my thoughts on the Cavaliers.

Maybe I confused the praise for Albert and Hannen... are you closer to answers for those questions?
I would suggest all the Cavaliers have been involved previously in their Academy which suggests you had to be in the clique to be selected... and their familiarity assisted them at least in the first half of game 1.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I am wondering why Western Australia are not at the Australian Schools Rugby Championship this year. Victoria is there, so I would have thought Western Australia should be there also.

Any explanation would be deeply appreciated

Regards

Black & White