• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Some 23 years after first being floated as a possibility, the redevelopment of Ballymore, the home of Queensland rugby, is finally about to happen, with the bulldozers barely a week away from demolishing the McLean Stand. And Paul McLean couldn’t be more delighted.

But with controversy surrounding the redevelopment — former QRU chairman Peter Lewis, former deputy chairman Lyn Crowley and a former Australian Rugby Union chairman Dick McGruther all opposed it — McLean has come down firmly in support of a project, which had received $30 million backing from the Queensland and federal governments.

“I’m absolutely in agreement with the overwhelming bulk of Queensland rugby supporters who all realise Ballymore is an ageing asset which is costing an enormous amount in upkeep.“

The redevelopment, which had to clear a final hurdle, an application lodged with the Queensland Heritage Council, has been done with a degree of historic sensitivity. The new stand’s capacity will be 3010 – compared with the existing 3008 – and not only will it continue to bear the name of Queensland rugby’s most famous family, but it has also been designed almost as a replica of the old one.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/ade396563ef1635253f46d53d81af724

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Ballymore National Rugby Training Centre and New McLean Stand will revitalise the precinct for the 21st Century while continuing to honour the great history of the ground. The NRTC will include halls of fame outside the player locker rooms and the upstairs player lounges and corporate facilities.

The facilities include:
• New home of the Buildcorp Wallaroos and national headquarters for Women’s Rugby
• Centrepiece of a new community recreation and high-performance sports precinct
• Future home of new programs such as Pacific Pathways and an International Academy for visiting teams, players and coaches – exporting Queensland’s rugby IP to the world.

The NRTC will be one of the most advanced sports high-performance centres in Queensland.
• Facilities for almost 100 players at the one time with dedicated male/female changerooms
• Elite medical, physio and recovery facility
• Modern lecture theatre for coach, player and volunteer education
• Almost 4000sqm devoted to rugby
• 680sqm elite gym
• Integrated 3000-capacity grandstand replacing ageing McLean stand for club and junior representative matches

Queensland’s many trophies gathered over almost 150 years will be prominently displayed in a new reception area which will double as a showcase for the ground’s rich history.

The existing stand’s capacity of 3008 (legally restricted to 1640 spectators because of past works which restricted access) will be replaced with a modern 3010-person capacity stand. The existing undersize Field 3 will be relocated as the main training field, adjoining the NRTC on its other side. The new building comprises a large high- performance gymnasium and double height pre-activation space, locker and change rooms, a recovery room with plunge pools and sauna at ground level, as well as physiotherapy, medical and emergency suites. The upper level comprises Queensland Rugby and Rugby Australia offices, and a players’ lounge and meeting rooms that can convert to corporate and media suites on match days.

Connecting the two levels are a double-height reception lobby and 60-seat auditorium for team and volunteer training.
These spaces are designed to showcase the almost 140-year history of Queensland Rugby. Along the main field 2,610 spectator seats are accessed by an upper concourse. A further 400 spectators can be accommodated in the game- day hospitality suites.

43B97C08-14B0-4949-88C0-78B2CEFA1E25.jpeg

D5F41518-25F8-429E-AC26-F1E7167BBD87.jpeg

11198EA2-203F-4FB3-ABD7-ADDAEEC2C0B1.jpeg

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Ballymore National Rugby Training Centre and New McLean Stand will revitalise the precinct for the 21st Century while continuing to honour the great history of the ground. The NRTC will include halls of fame outside the player locker rooms and the upstairs player lounges and corporate facilities.

The facilities include:
• New home of the Buildcorp Wallaroos and national headquarters for Women’s Rugby
• Centrepiece of a new community recreation and high-performance sports precinct
• Future home of new programs such as Pacific Pathways and an International Academy for visiting teams, players and coaches – exporting Queensland’s rugby IP to the world.

The NRTC will be one of the most advanced sports high-performance centres in Queensland.
• Facilities for almost 100 players at the one time with dedicated male/female changerooms
• Elite medical, physio and recovery facility
• Modern lecture theatre for coach, player and volunteer education
• Almost 4000sqm devoted to rugby
• 680sqm elite gym
• Integrated 3000-capacity grandstand replacing ageing McLean stand for club and junior representative matches

Queensland’s many trophies gathered over almost 150 years will be prominently displayed in a new reception area which will double as a showcase for the ground’s rich history.

The existing stand’s capacity of 3008 (legally restricted to 1640 spectators because of past works which restricted access) will be replaced with a modern 3010-person capacity stand. The existing undersize Field 3 will be relocated as the main training field, adjoining the NRTC on its other side. The new building comprises a large high- performance gymnasium and double height pre-activation space, locker and change rooms, a recovery room with plunge pools and sauna at ground level, as well as physiotherapy, medical and emergency suites. The upper level comprises Queensland Rugby and Rugby Australia offices, and a players’ lounge and meeting rooms that can convert to corporate and media suites on match days.

Connecting the two levels are a double-height reception lobby and 60-seat auditorium for team and volunteer training.
These spaces are designed to showcase the almost 140-year history of Queensland Rugby. Along the main field 2,610 spectator seats are accessed by an upper concourse. A further 400 spectators can be accommodated in the game- day hospitality suites.

View attachment 12050
View attachment 12051
View attachment 12052

Not a lot of change room options. Club Rugby Finals days would be a challenge. Even a curtain raiser before a main game would be difficult. Will there be a phase 2 (in the future building space??) or an option for demountable change room space?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah there is a master plan not yet released which will include additional stages of construction, you can see in the plans they’ve highlighted space for expansion. However this upgrade is the only funded part as of yet, masterplan will also cover off on what they intend to do with the Eastern Stand.

In saying that change-rooms for club grand finals days could be done relatively cheap, given the frequency of use. They don’t need to be the same standard as the Reds/Wallaroos change rooms.

By the looks of it, the admin space upstairs should be enough to house everyone who is currently in Rugby House(current QRU office building), so I’d expect the QRU to then lease out Rugby House space as a source of revenue. Anyone confirm that’s the plan?

I’m sure they’ll use the 2032 Olympic Bid & 2027 RWC bid as a driver to leverage more funding in coming years as well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd say it's a pretty low priority, the only issue would be the first weekend of finals when all Premier teams play. Otherwise Prem teams are the only ones who regularly use rooms anyway. Can walk across from the old gym.
My concern is that they'll build this and Thorn won't want the players to use the gym or facilities as they are too nice.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I.
My concern is that they'll build this and Thorn won't want the players to use the gym or facilities as they are too nice.

It’s a fair chance.
And really I don’t think it would matter, I’m yet to see any evidence of correlation between training facility investment and team performance. Just look at the Broncos, first season in new $35million facility and devastating injury toll and woeful performances.

I think what it does is I provide a better environment for the support and back-room staff and perhaps provides the biggest improvements there

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Have great memories of Ballymore and the old stand but I'm really looking forward to the new setup. Glad it is finally getting done.

I'm surprised they haven't given people the opportunity to buy parts of the old stand. Some old guys would be happy to get a few bricks or one of the bench seats. Hell I recon a bench seat would look good in my back yard.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Whoa, hold your horses. Just read the SMH and they have given it to the Brisbane Olympics for hockey - 15,000 seats no less. The power of the press, and such generosity.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Brisbane chosen as a preferred option for the 2032 Olympics which is a massive step forward, of note is that Ballymore is identified as the proposed venue for Hockey. Noting that the Ballymore Masterplan is due out soon, i expect it will contain opportunities for QRU to capitalise on any funding they can extract from a Olympic bid. I.e. extra change rooms, and upgrade to the eastern stand etc.
64A26984-89C6-4F26-A55F-B792BDC9117A.jpeg

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The olympic bid is a golden opportunity to expand on the ballymore plan, for example to get the busway extended to the stadium which could make it a longer term viable option. The feds will spend a lot of money on the olympics and it's a once in a generation opportunity for Ballymore

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
The olympic bid is a golden opportunity to expand on the ballymore plan, for example to get the busway extended to the stadium which could make it a longer term viable option. The feds will spend a lot of money on the olympics and it's a once in a generation opportunity for Ballymore

that would be awesome except for the sooks/nimbys who moved into the area knowing the 'more existed. A 15k seater would do for the vast majority of games, bigger ones keep at Lang Park. It'll never happen though.