• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

BRFC

Bob McCowan (2)
No mention of how its getting funded or how long to develop.

For those interested:

"BALLYMORE

After engaging Coffey Sport and Leisure to work with the QRU and government to deliver the best possible solution for any future development at Ballymore, we are confident of receiving development approval from council by the end of the month.
We are convinced that a proposed elite and community sporting precinct will provide the necessary blend for all members of the rugby community to enjoy Ballymore.

I look forward to updating you on the proposed redevelopment progress when more information comes to hand."

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It would be great to see Ballymore redeveloped. I hope the local community are only protesting the lack of community access to recreation and health facilities. As this is what will make it viable to society.

To make it Financially viable it will need either or both residential development and home team (eg Roar/Bombers/Tornadoes). I would love to see it become similar, but better maintained version of Chandler, which is a sporting and health centre in the Eastern Suburbs. With a boutique (25,000 seat) stadium similar to Skilled Park on the GC, but with the XXXX hill to give it character, atmosphere and nostalgia. The other thing Skilled Park lacks (which Marto pointed out this morning on Radio) is pubs. So they could build in a sports bar in the facilities.

In terms of lack of accessibility, I don't see why/how buses cant give it similar accessibility as Suncorp. They could certainly out do suncorp with a better drop off pick up area not just for cabs and a few more parking spaces.

W

What2040

Betcha "Can Do" won't chuch any money at it
Has/is flicking 14,000 public servants (love that word when describing government workers)
If average is $75,000 per year the the State of Queensland will save $1,050,000,000.00 this year (less redunancy payments)
Wish he give us a little of his savings

T

TOCC

Betcha "Can Do" won't chuch any money at it
Has/is flicking 14,000 public servants (love that word when describing government workers)
If average is $75,000 per year the the State of Queensland will save $1,050,000,000.00 this year (less redunancy payments)
Wish he give us a little of his savings
redundancies are budgeted as $800million, another portion of the 'job cuts' are going to outsourcing so in effect the savings/benefits in the short term will be minor, the intent is to improve productivity in the longer term. Newman isnt in a position to provide any capital investment, that will be later in the term when he is starting to repair his image in the lead-up to the next election.

I do like the idea of a co-tenant at Ballymore though, the Roar have been assisting the finances of the QRU by paying rent the past couple of years, it seems to have paid dividends with both teams winning their respective tournaments in recent years, so one would naturally have to assume its a pretty good environment to train in. I guess the difficult part would be to have the Roar invest in some of the project, or at least sign a long term lease to secure the viability, not sure if thats something they have any intent of doing though. They are owned by wealthy indonesian who might have different plans.

BRFC

Bob McCowan (2)
Unknown to most people's knowledge, Brisbane City Council have constructed a brand new footbridge over the creek (about 10 or so months ago) which makes Wilston train station roughly a 1.1km walk from Ballymore (100m less than the walk from Roma St to Suncorp). It takes about 10-12 minutes (I walk it regularly).

As far as I'm aware, the Reds and the Roar get along very very well. As any co-tenant there's always niggles in terms of who's using which field but I've been to open training sessions and observed the players and coaching staff interact and they seem the best of friends. I've spoken to people from the club whom confirmed this as well. So unless the Roar's billionaire owners are wanting to purchase land (most likely near the airport) and develop their own training facility/boutique stadium, Ballymore seems the obvious choice. Plus with it being co-tenanted it guarantees the stadium year-round use.

I remember the approved plan in 2010 included a stadium bar underneath the new grandstand which would replace the XXXX Hill which has been deemed an OH&S liability and "unfit for elite sporting matches" (which doesn't make sense to me as the Gabba still has a hill, but that's another story).

I spoke with someone from the Reds recently and apparently they're still awaiting approval on an assumed revised plan for Ballymore, I doubt if it will be as grand as the proposed redevelopment in 2010 but we'll see. Either way it sounds like the Reds want to stay there.

Berisha as your avatar FFS.

Um, yes...

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the deal with the Roar is very favourable to the Roar and isn't an income earner for the QRU. The major reason they are there is to show that it is a multi use facility.

BRFC

Bob McCowan (2)
I think the deal with the Roar is very favourable to the Roar and isn't an income earner for the QRU. The major reason they are there is to show that it is a multi use facility.

Fair amount of truth there I agree. I think what the Roar have mainly helped the QRU with is the weekly upkeep.

T

TOCC

Give the maintenance costs of Ballymore are in vicinity of $1million/year any help on upkeep is useful

T

TingTongMacaDangDang

Yes, it's been a while since the Gabba had a hill, however as far as I'm aware, Ausgrid Stadium (Newcastle) still has two half-grass hills on either end. Perhaps a similar thing could be done at Ballymore.

Ausgrid_Stadium_Newcastle.jpg

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It looks as though Ballymore has lost out to Eastwood.

Sad, in a way, even though I am an Eastwood tragic. I hope that Ballymore can still leverage their redevelopment options.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Was this new project between Ballymore and Eastwood?

Maybe not, but Howard did promise a bucket of money for an ARU facility to be built at Ballymore before the 2007 election. I assume that the Eastwood ARU facility is a similar concept?

T

TOCC

Maybe not, but Howard did promise a bucket of money for an ARU facility to be built at Ballymore before the 2007 election. I assume that the Eastwood ARU facility is a similar concept?

Similar concept yes..

QRU have been developing plans for the redevelopment since then though, they employed the same firm responsible for a few of the AFL Training Facility developments, should hear more about it later this year. I wasn't aware they were trying to incorporate it with the ARU venture. It would make sense to though, unless the ARU stipulated they wanted it in Sydney.