• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would also be flabbergated if Folau plays this game. Reportedly, he is not going on the EOYT - time to give his likely replacement at 15 (Hunt, Hodge? Hopefully not Beale) time in the spot to get familiar with how Cheika wants the position to be filled v the NH sides.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Some strange selections again in the Wallabies A team. One game only v the Baa Baas. Why select three hookers and three No 9s? One of each won't get on the ground. Would be far bettger to allow the excess player turn out for the Baa Baas as they will be playing two games, and good game time would be guaranteed. Have to admit that I am more and more confused by some of the national coaches' selections as time passes.

They don't have to travel anywhere so the more young players that get exposure to the squad the better. As BH says he's likely to select based on how they train this week so wouldn't have finalised the selections yet, in particular the bench. Also it saves having to call someone into the squad if there is an injury during the week, which isn't out of the question for Cheika hit outs.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I would also be flabbergated if Folau plays this game. Reportedly, he is not going on the EOYT - time to give his likely replacement at 15 (Hunt, Hodge? Hopefully not Beale) time in the spot to get familiar with how Cheika wants the position to be filled v the NH sides.
The point of this game is not development, it's to make as much cash as possible.

Folau will be playing

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

This game is so poorly timed, completely undermines and compromises the NRC in the final round, which for a few teams is critical to whether they play finals or not.

It’s Australia A versus Australia B(with a few foreigners).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Plus Folau has already been given four games off afterwards. I think Cheika even said when discussing Folau's coming absence that he would play the Barbarians.

T

TOCC

Yep i reckon they're on the money with Folau, if there were ever a game to try a new player at fullback this would be it, the only good reason for retaining him is to ensure that this game doesn't turn into a completely pointless trial match, they need to maintain some of the top players for the marketing value.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Dumb question, but the Jones-coached Baa baas has nothing to do with the Barbarians that are playing the ABs at Twickers right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Thats Barbarians Rugby though its still the same club, Barbarian FC, it's typical Baa Baas rugby that there are wholesale changes weeks to week, including different coaches.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here's the "Classic Wallabies" team to play the Barbarians in Lismore tomorrow night.

Classic Wallabies team to face the Barbarians

1. Conor Young

2. Adam Freier

3. Matt Gibbon

4. Jake Douglas

5. Radike Samo

6. Dave McDuling

7. AJ Gilbert

8. Pat McCutcheon

9. Brett Sheehan

10. Nick Jooste

11. Lote Tuqiri

12. Morgan Turinui

13. Matt Carraro

14. Alex Gibbon

15. Drew Mitchell

Reserves

16. Bill Johnson

17. Rory O'Connor

18. Jock Armstrong

19. Pat Phibbs

20. Clay Uyen

21. James Verity-Amm

22. Byron Hutchinson

23. Brendan Owen

"The Barbarians will take on the Classic Wallabies on Tuesday October 24, kicking off at 5:30pm AEDT, raising money for the Lismore Flood Appeal. The game will be streamed LIVE on RUGBY.com.au."

I just don't get it. Perhaps I get this one a little as it's good for Lismore as a community rebuilding effort post floods, but still. That's an Australian Barbarians team not a Classic Wallabies team.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Would be nice if Quade cut loose for the Barbarians and showed us a few of those tricks up his sleeve. If nothing else it would make for great viewing.

T

TOCC

Barbarians team to face the Classic Wallabies

1. Sef Fa’agase (Reds)

2. Anaru Rangi (Force)

3. Salesi Manu (Bond)

4. Richard Arnold (Force)

5. Matt Philip (Force)

6. Max Girdler (Warringah)

7. Kane Koteka (Force)

8. Sam Ward (Warringah)

9. Michael Ruru (Force, captain)

10. Sam Greene (Toyota)

11. Andrew Kellaway (Waratahs)

12. David Horwitz (Rebels)

13. Tom Connor (Warringah)

14. Jack Maddocks (Rebels)

15. Tom Banks (Brumbies)

Reserves

16. Andrew Ready (Reds)

17. Pekahou Cowan (Force & Australia)

18. Taniela Tupou (Reds)

19. Sam Carter (Brumbies & Australia)

20. Isi Naisarani (Force)

21. Theo Strang (Sydney University)

22. Tim Nanai-Williams (Chiefs & Samoa)

23. Brett Wellington (Scots College

T

TOCC

Brett Wellington, Schoolboys kid.. potentially youngest BaaBaa ever

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I've seen Wellington play a couple of times, he's very impressive but geez it'll be daunting for him up against high profile guys like Drew Mitchell and Tuqiri who he's only ever seen on tv before. Good luck to the young man, what an opportunity.

ShortBall

Frank Row (1)
Barbarians team to face the Classic Wallabies

1. Sef Fa’agase (Reds)

2. Anaru Rangi (Force)

3. Salesi Manu (Bond)

4. Richard Arnold (Force)

5. Matt Philip (Force)

6. Max Girdler (Warringah)

7. Kane Koteka (Force)

8. Sam Ward (Warringah)

9. Michael Ruru (Force, captain)

10. Sam Greene (Toyota)

11. Andrew Kellaway (Waratahs)

12. David Horwitz (Rebels)

13. Tom Connor (Warringah)

14. Jack Maddocks (Rebels)

15. Tom Banks (Brumbies)

Reserves

16. Andrew Ready (Reds)

17. Pekahou Cowan (Force & Australia)

18. Taniela Tupou (Reds)

19. Sam Carter (Brumbies & Australia)

20. Isi Naisarani (Force)

21. Theo Strang (Sydney University)

22. Tim Nanai-Williams (Chiefs & Samoa)

23. Brett Wellington (Scots College

Suprising amount of Scots College Old Boys in this, 6. Max Girdler (Warringah) 11. Andrew Kellaway (Waratahs) 12. David Horwitz (Rebels) Good to see these to link up again like 2012
14. Jack Maddocks (Rebels) 21. Theo Strang (Sydney University)
- Strang and Girdler heavily prominent in this video. - Current - 23. Brett Wellington (Scots College)
check out his highlights though, Classic Wallabies should be worried if he gets onto a short ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.