• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
QH what has BIL test got to do with it, this is not about a NZ/Aus thing, and it not about refs been held accountable (they are to their own peers), it is about a high profile coach using a tv press conference to attack a referee,in a time when we are trying to supposedly teach young players, supporters etc that this is wrong. I would say same if Shag Hansen had blamed ref etc. Look as i said you obviously think it good, I don't it sets a very bad example and as Inside Shoulder has mentioned in above post it reflects very badly on Australian sports when it is done. as it I think it does when anyone from any team from any country does it. I will always wonder why anyone would encourage this sort of thing, but thats just me

PLus Australian rugby's supposedly governing body at least implicitly endorsing (a) the criticism and (b) the notion that high profile coaches connected with Australian rugby deserve a soapbox provided by the ARU. The ARU have enough problems keeping their eyes on a ball without endeavouring to mimic AFL and NRL by employing their own media department and thereby being seen to endorse the mindless and contradictory tripe Jones speaks.
In addition to which that ref let some stuff go that would have been picked up in a club rugby game or above so, as ever, Jones perception of the issue is hardly neutral.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
PIckerill definitely made a bunch of mistakes but I don't really get the criticism that he should have refereed the game differently because it was a Barbarians game. I can't imagine any referee is told to treat a Barbarians game any differently to any other top level game.

Both yellow cards were pretty difficult not to award. Naiyaravoro's was the second penalty in two phases close to their try line to stop the Wallabies scoring after a line break.

Cooper's high shot didn't involve heavy contact but it was well and truly high. That has been a yellow card all season. If there had been more force it would have been a red card.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
PLus Australian rugby's supposedly governing body at least implicitly endorsing (a) the criticism and (b) the notion that high profile coaches connected with Australian rugby deserve a soapbox provided by the ARU. The ARU have enough problems keeping their eyes on a ball without endeavouring to mimic AFL and NRL by employing their own media department and thereby being seen to endorse the mindless and contradictory tripe Jones speaks.
In addition to which that ref let some stuff go that would have been picked up in a club rugby game or above so, as ever, Jones perception of the issue is hardly neutral.

I don't see how they are endorsing it. rugby.com.au is a Rugby Australia website where they report a variety of news. Reporting it factually as news is not an endorsement. Not reporting it would be taking an editorial stance. It is worth noting that on the official website, rugbyaustralia.com.au (previously aru.com.au), they don't have this material and only publish official press releases etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
PIckerill definitely made a bunch of mistakes but I don't really get the criticism that he should have refereed the game differently because it was a Barbarians game. I can't imagine any referee is told to treat a Barbarians game any differently to any other top level game.

Both yellow cards were pretty difficult not to award. Naiyaravoro's was the second penalty in two phases close to their try line to stop the Wallabies scoring after a line break.

Cooper's high shot didn't involve heavy contact but it was well and truly high. That has been a yellow card all season. If there had been more force it would have been a red card.

Playing devil's advocate, i'd say consistency is the criticism. Dempsey did two consecutive knock-downs both far more cynical looking than Taqele's and it was just a penalty.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Playing devil's advocate, i'd say consistency is the criticism. Dempsey did two consecutive knock-downs both far more cynical looking than Taqele's and it was just a penalty.

Indeed, and Cooper said so to the ref.
BUT, the ref said it was a yellow for offside (he was), repeat infringements in a short period (yes) after a warning (didn't hear that) when Cooper questioned the card, not specifically for a deliberate knock down. The commentators were banging on about the latter though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It's the area of the field. The Wallabies were already under advantage and then Taqele is offside and knocks the ball on. Dempsey should have been penalised for his but the game situation was completely different.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't see how they are endorsing it. rugby.com.au is a Rugby Australia website where they report a variety of news. Reporting it factually as news is not an endorsement. Not reporting it would be taking an editorial stance. It is worth noting that on the official website, rugbyaustralia.com.au (previously aru.com.au), they don't have this material and only publish official press releases etc.

You'd defend the ARU no matter what. This is not about the "role" played by a website it is about who owns it. You justify it on the basis of some perceived independent news reporting role: Alan Jones is being reported in the SMH as bagging the shit out of Clyne and Pulver on the radio this morning - but there's not a hint of that on rugby.com.au: why would that be? Its news. Its about rugby. Its about the biggest issue in rugby in this country, namely, the incompetence and arrogance of the ARU. When do you think we'll see that on rugby.com.au speaking, of course, in your capacity as endless booster for rugby australia (capitalisation deliberately omitted).

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)

May have to watch again but I actually thought Powell (?) passed it to/at Taquele- it sort of hit him and went behind the Wallabies player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd defend the ARU no matter what. This is not about the "role" played by a website it is about who owns it. You justify it on the basis of some perceived independent news reporting role: Alan Jones is being reported in the SMH as bagging the shit out of Clyne and Pulver on the radio this morning - but there's not a hint of that on rugby.com.au: why would that be? Its news. Its about rugby. Its about the biggest issue in rugby in this country, namely, the incompetence and arrogance of the ARU. When do you think we'll see that on rugby.com.au speaking, of course, in your capacity as endless booster for rugby australia (capitalisation deliberately omitted).

The Murdoch press hasn't run with Jones' spat today either.........

BH is right though - they weren't endorsing anything. They run all kinds of media relating to Australian rugby matter, sometimes negative, and Jones' rant in an official post match press conference was certainly news worthy.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Coach of the Barbars having a crack at the referee is certainly newsworthy.

Alan Jones having a massive whinge about whatever subject (even if justified) isn't. If you're interested turn his show on.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Murdoch press hasn't run with Jones' spat today either...

BH is right though - they weren't endorsing anything. They run all kinds of media relating to Australian rugby matter, sometimes negative, and Jones' rant in an official post match press conference was certainly news worthy.

So is Jones' criticism of the Chairman and CEO newsworthy. And if there is no "bringing the game into disrepute" limitation on what rugby.com.au publishes they should publish that. Do they want to be a news organisation or do they want to run the game: at the moment they are doing neither well, which is worthy of being reported on a website devoted to rugby.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Murdoch press hasn't run with Jones' spat today either...

If you don't mind posting a few links about their coverage about the Senate hearings, Id appreciate it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Or Palu being penalised for cleaning out a man "too far from the tackle" but Hunt did the same thing only worse in almost the same spot in the 2nd half without penalty, or penalising the dominant scrum for walking around when the Wallabies were going backwards.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ultimately they should probably publish something about both, particularly if they want to become a go-to source of rugby news that is trying to be non partisan.

I think there is a significant difference between them covering comments made in an official capacity at the press conference of a Wallabies fixture with comments that same person made on their daily radio show.

Likewise, if Jones made the same comments criticising the referee during his radio show I don't think the ARU should publicise that. That could definitely be construed as them placing the game in disrepute.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Having a quid each way by the look of things QH

3155bdb9882528c333b231a2007a02a0.jpg

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The rebel in me likes to think that the Barbarians appointed Jones deliberately, knowing he'd have a go at the ARU. They may hold Pulver, Clyne et al in as low esteem as I do. The fact that the ARU made no contact with the Barbarians in the lead up to the match suggests that the message was reeived loud and clear.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Coaches make dickhead comments and gestures all the time. Whilst I don't necessarily agree with all of Jones's comment, some were valid..

I seem to remember Cheika lying his teeth out in a presser about Folau NOT pulling the hair. Shit that was a straightforward lie. Didn't Chek punch a door in the box and some of his gestures caught on TV just about qualify to bring the game into disrepute.

Time for everyone to take a chill pill. At least rugby has been in the news for once

B

BLR

The fact that the ARU made no contact with the Barbarians in the lead up to the match suggests that the message was reeived loud and clear.

I dunno about that. I would say it is more indicative of business as usual for your governing body.

Status
Not open for further replies.