• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians vs Samoa, Sunday 28 November 12:30AM AEST

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yippity yip. Bit of a tour from hell, all round, this year. Guys will at least have the story to tell, so that's something. Heh.

A few alarms would have triggered when pommy test players were getting covided out (and back in) before our guys played that test.

Always easy in hindsight, but NZ made a good decision not to get involved in this exhibition game.

*Ditto Quade's manager. ;)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That should remain private IMHO.

Why? It's the same thing literally millions of people in the world have caught and many notable athletes and celebrities have come out and said they've got it. It isn't taboo.

The NBA release their players who have tested positive, Lebron James tested positive yesterday and has been stood down from activities. He's got a much higher profile than anyone playing in the BaaBaa's game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's no need in this instance. It's the end of the season and it related to a one off game.

In terms of injury and COVID reporting in US sports, they have really strict requirements which don't exist in rugby (arguably they should in the professional game).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s their medical history. They have a right for it to be kept private.

Every professional rugby player has their rugby related illnesses and injuries discussed in public. You'd only take that view if the person was somehow responsible for contracting the virus, and that would be a break in protocol so should also be in the public eye.

We're being way to presumed sensitive here.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Every professional rugby player has their rugby related illnesses and injuries discussed in public. You'd only take that view if the person was somehow responsible for contracting the virus, and that would be a break in protocol so should also be in the public eye.

I see where you coming from Dru, but if a player has say testicular cancer etc, does the rest of the world have the right to know? I don't think they do really. It's probably not straight forward.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Probably the key bit.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I see where you coming from Dru, but if a player has say testicular cancer etc, does the rest of the world have the right to know? I don't think they do really. It's probably not straight forward.

When was the last time you saw testicular cancer as a rugby related illness?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Another difference is that last year the baabaas game was cancelled because players broke Covid protocols. This doesn’t seem to be implied in any of the reporting.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)

Nah. We don’t need to know

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
When was the last time you saw testicular cancer as a rugby related illness?
True that's what I mean, that's why I can see point of not naming who's got covid (unless they want it) it's not rugby related. I pretty easy on it, but it really up to players if they want public to know who has covid etc Personally I not interested.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They got infected training for a rugby game when they were meant to be in an environment to protect them Of course it is rugby related.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I dont really care who it is, but i think it’s a bit silly to consider covid as sensitive/taboo to discuss when every other injury/liness sustained in the process of playing rugby get discussed publicly, there’s even twitter handles dissecting social media photos of players speculating about the state of their rehabilitation and off-season surgery.

Testing positive to coronavirus is no more taboo then a player getting gastro or tearing an ACL, they’re all openly discussed. It’s nothing to be ashamed of as anyone in the community can catch it, even professional football players. (If the players dont want it released then thats fine, but we shouldnt consider it a taboo subject otherwise)

Also i think it will impact on the Super Rugby season for those effected as they’re still quarantining in the UK(is it 2 weeks?), and due to recent changes they will need to quarantine on return to Australia. Depending who it is, that means they’ve gone from zero days quarantine requirement(NSW players), to potentially now facing 4 weeks in quarantine.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I dont really care who it is, but i think it’s a bit silly to consider covid as sensitive/taboo to discuss when every other injury/liness sustained in the process of playing rugby get discussed publicly, there’s even twitter handles dissecting social media photos of players speculating about the state of their rehabilitation and off-season surgery.

Testing positive to coronavirus is no more taboo then a player getting gastro or tearing an ACL, they’re all openly discussed. It’s nothing to be ashamed of as anyone in the community can catch it, even professional football players. (If the players dont want it released then thats fine, but we shouldnt consider it a taboo subject otherwise)

Also i think it will impact on the Super Rugby season for those effected as they’re still quarantining in the UK(is it 2 weeks?), and due to recent changes they will need to quarantine on return to Australia. Depending who it is, that means they’ve gone from zero days quarantine requirement(NSW players), to potentially now facing 4 weeks in quarantine.

+1, better than I could say it.