• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barnes off to Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Care to elaborate given the number of appearances he has made in the past few years and more specifically the ones he made in 2012?

[biggsy]He was crap when he played 10 and it was entirely his fault when we lost to the All Blacks in Sydney last year.

When Quade Cooper played 10 the next week in New Zealand and was crap it was entirely Robbie Deans fault. [/biggsy]

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Care to elaborate given the number of appearances he has made in the past few years and more specifically the ones he made in 2012?

yeah,did you watched the new sports news tonight, they played his best of real, went for 5 seconds.

And to elaborate his past years in Rugby.Loves to kick the ball away.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have a lot of respect for Berrick as a player. I think he was and is incredibly talented, but has just some habits (i.e. kicking a lot) that detract from an otherwise quality fly half.

Having said that though, he strikes me as a guy who is most capable of playing a game plan that is given to him, so I often wonder if it really is him deciding to kick so often.

I wonder if his recent head knocks and the birth of his son has seen him revisit his priorities somewhat and led him to this conclusion (if it is true)?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wonder if his recent head knocks and the birth of his son has seen him revisit his priorities somewhat and led him to this conclusion (if it is true)?

I'd say that's exactly the case, he'd be now looking to maximise his earning potential while he can.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Gel said "I wonder if his recent head knocks and the birth of his son has seen him revisit his priorities somewhat and led him to this conclusion (if it is true)?" I'd say that's exactly the case, he'd be now looking to maximise his earning potential while he can.

and regardless of what you think of his rugby capability, I think that's a very wise decision for a young man to make.

He's always seemed a smart guy to me and if he has any doubts whatsoever about damage from future head knocks I say, take as much money as you can, right now and stay safe. You do not want to miss out on your child's future and they do not want to miss out on you.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My view on Barnes is that he's not as a good a player as he could be (mainly down to decision making as the skills are there) but he's no where near as bad a player as some might have you believe. I think he'll have a good final season with the Tahs and I wish him all the best in Japan. As stated a few times previously he's right to make his money while he can as it's a short career and in his case potentially even shorter.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Waratahs coach Michael Cheika played down reports that playmaker Berrick Barnes was leaving the side for Japan's Panasonic Wild Knights.

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8457330,00.html

Now maybe it's just a coach's job to try and ensure everyone is focussed on the season ahead (Cheika's also defending claims linking Timani to Montpellier) rather than who's going where at season's end. On the other hand, maybe Barnes leaving isn't as sure a thing as initially thought.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Did anyone notice that the kick by Lynagh in the lead up to Horans try in the '91 RWC match V's the AB's was very similar to the types of kicks Barnes has been trying to use for the Wallabies recently.
Seems like tactics from 1991 are not as successful as in 2012.
Care to comment Bob ?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It's too early to tell whether he's deflecting or shooting from the hip, but I must admit I like the noises he makes.

Me too. The proof will be on the field, of course, but I like his long view, and his emphasis on culture and environment. While I'm sure he'd like Barnes and Timani to stay, he's also talking to players who might be thinking about making a move to NSW. Good stuff.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
and regardless of what you think of his rugby capability, I think that's a very wise decision for a young man to make.

He's always seemed a smart guy to me and if he has any doubts whatsoever about damage from future head knocks I say, take as much money as you can, right now and stay safe. You do not want to miss out on your child's future and they do not want to miss out on you.

Not going to pretend I am a Barnes fan but none the less all the best to him on what he chooses. What Scott has said above I couldn't agree with any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.