• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the Blood Red: Lions v Queensland Reds 8th June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Has the game sold out yet? I have relatives coming from interstate but they won't let me buy tickets until they have confirmed numbers which probably won't be until match day. Im hoping there will be tickets available at the box office at the stadium for them.

Some tickets still available. If you ring up one of the rugby clubs in brisbane they might be able to sell you some as well.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
When does the team get released?

I'm tipping the Lions by 10-12. I think they will blow us away in the first half and it will be very hard to come back from that.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I can't wait to gain sight of Link's already-declared 'unorthodox' game plan. This could either be a stunning success, or a rather unfortunate route to a score blow out by the Lions.

The whole setting is just intriguing and I'm already enjoying just the contemplation of it all and what is to come :).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can't wait to gain sight of Link's already-declared 'unorthodox' game plan. This could either be a stunning success, or a rather unfortunate route to a score blow out by the Lions.

The whole setting is just intriguing and I'm already enjoying just the contemplation of it all and what is to come :).

I have no idea what he ha up his sleeve but I think it is partly a political game at the moment. He is providing a point of difference to the current wallaby coach.

If he can produce an exciting game plan that is carried out by a well drilled team that don't get blown off the park, it will go a long way to getting him over the line for the wallabies job.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Link will have something cooking for this game. He has a habit of planning a few games ahead aka Bulls 2010 and Stormers 2011. Not saying it is right but may account for the lull in the Reds form of late.

Set piece will be a tough day at the office though around the park bodes well for us. I think the Reds have a game that can take a Northern Hemisphere side right out of it's comfort zone. We will play at a fast pace and sap the Energy out of the Lions forwards that way. If we go down, it will be swinging.

I am hoping for a similar game plan to what we used to beat the Bulls in 2011? It was at Lang Park and there was virtually no lineouts, whenever the bulls kicked, we took the early option and ran them ragged. this was close to the best game of Rugby I have seen and one of the best examples of how to beat a team that loves to kick and love to use big men in tight.

I want to see the ball in play for as long as possible and just run run and then run.

I think this style is our best chance to compete and would be the only style of play that would concern the Lions.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Sounds good to me. It has my vote!

Of course Genia and Gill are a big loss for that game plan though.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
platinum tickets now sold out and single seats only for gold and silver. Could be sold out in the next day or so. Hopefully the Force will make a good account of itself tonight.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I've been to a few sell outs there all with varying levels of noise. Probably the noisiest to date for me was a Bledisloe but I'm thinking this one might be louder. ;-)

I had no idea Darwin was so small! Sounds like my kinda city!!! :)

The 2011 final wins out. No competition, best crowd I've ever been a part of, Bledsiloes, many tests, World Cup games and finals, many Reds games..... State of Origins, league "tests" even when they were competitive. That final was special & the crowd was tense & vocal & emotional in a way I've never experienced.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I've been to a few sell outs there all with varying levels of noise. Probably the noisiest to date for me was a Bledisloe but I'm thinking this one might be louder. ;-)

I had no idea Darwin was so small! Sounds like my kinda city!!! :)

Darwin has a population of about 90,000 but if you take the surrounding areas it is about 125,000. It is about the same size as Canberra space wise. I envy Brisbane's access to top rugby but I wouldn't trade Darwin for the world. The fishing alone is sensational.

This has nothing to do with this thread topic though. :rolleyes:

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Reds team pretty strong:

Daley, Hanson, Holmes, AWH, O’Donoghue, Quirk, Robinson, Schatz, Frisby, Cooper, Morahan, A.Fainga'a, Tapuai, Davies, Lucas

(Bench) – Anae, Denny, Owen, Samo, Butler, Lance, Harris, Shipperley

Let's do this!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
That side could cause the Lions a fair few problems. The Lions team will probably be:

Jenkins, Youngs, Stevens, POC, Parling, Lydiate, The Great Leader, Faletau, Youngs, Sexton, Maitland, Roberts, Davies, Cuthbert, Hogg

Don't be surprised if Bowe or Sexton start, they were the first two Lions taken off (I think) around the 65 minute mark. I'd back the Lions but it will be very close

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Lions looked shockingly ordinary when the Force were able to organize their defensive lines. They even got caught napping on their own try line.

Support runners in the forwards were very slow for large portions of the match and even the Force were able to find the huge green spaces in A. Farrell's defensive system.

Expect quick taps and kicks through/over the line.

This could be a very close game.

Totally parochial call but Reds by 1 or 3 (was only off by 1 point last week!)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipped the Reds by 5. Was with my heart not my head.

It will be a challenge for Lions with their travel. Flew in from Hong Kong to Perth on Sunday then Perth to Brisbane today before the game on Saturday. Not much time to run together. I guess the advantage is they are the best players from 4 countries.

I really like the Reds team.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I reckon it'll be a great effort if the Reds are even within 20 of the Lions.

I remember the 2001 Reds team, which was quite a good team, being given a nice hiding. I think that the 2001 Reds team, on paper, is better than that team named - although the Reds team named is not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.