• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the Blood Red: Lions v Queensland Reds 8th June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Rumour has it that it will be Quade Cooper (c) on the team sheet.
I am tipping it will be Ant. Back when we lost Horwill and then Genia, they were tossing up between Slippery and Ant and Slipper got the gig. I'd go with Ant.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see what team the Lions name for this game. Gatland has said everyone will get a start in the first three games so in my mind that would mean we see Warburton at 7 and Youngs at 9. Kearney is injured and won't play. It sounds like Warburton is ready to go. The front row should be Stevens, Youngs and Jenkins. Parling will one of the locks.

Aside from that, you'd expect that most of the test players will be there or there abouts. They'll definitely want to play the test side against the Waratahs next weekend (one week out from the first test) and that will mean the dirt trackers play against Country on Tuesday.

I think we'll see something like:

Stevens, Youngs, Jenkins
Parling, Gray/POC
Warburton, Faletau, Lydiate
Youngs
Farrell
Roberts, BOD
Maitland, Hogg, Cuthbert

Potentially Sexton could play the first half as he won't be playing on Tuesday against Country (I expect Hogg will be given a run at 10 against Country).

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I reckon it'll be a great effort if the Reds are even within 20 of the Lions.

I remember the 2001 Reds team, which was quite a good team, being given a nice hiding. I think that the 2001 Reds team, on paper, is better than that team named - although the Reds team named is not too bad.

Mark McBain was on the radio this morning talking about the 2001 game. He said that the Wallaby players were put through a heavy session on the Thursday before the game and a few weren't keen to play because of it.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
should have started Samo and made him captain. Reds put together a good side though, hopefully you guys get decent weather on Saturday so we see what that backline can do.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mark McBain was on the radio this morning talking about the 2001 game. He said that the Wallaby players were put through a heavy session on the Thursday before the game and a few weren't keen to play because of it.

That might explain a bit.

The Reds team should have done better than they did in 2001. The Reds did the worst of the three provincial teams at the time, despite not being far off the Brumbies.

The weakened Tahs in 2001 did better than the Reds, and both played sides close to the Lions' main team. The almost full strength Reds team that played the Lions in 2001 was, on paper, a lot stronger than the Tahs team that played the Lions in 2001.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
should have started Samo and made him captain. Reds put together a good side though, hopefully you guys get decent weather on Saturday so we see what that backline can do.

I reckon Samo will play the 30 at 8. No doubt he will be fired up. Could well be his last game at Suncorp, and maybe even his last one for the reds.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
The reds have put together a good team for this game.
With the expected big crowd this weekend, i'm far More excited about this game then Wallabies game.

Hope Deans takes note of on how to beat the Lions this weekend.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Around the park this teams should compete pretty well with the Lions, particularly the back-row and in the backs. But with 4 of the starting tight-5 out, the Lions should be able to press their advantage in the set piece.

Also a Reds team without Horwill and Genia is not the most attractive prospects.

Lions will be too good, but this should be entertaining.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Biggsy you raise an intriguing aspect of this game which is the coaching battle. McKenzie has a chance to show he can out-coach Deans; play a better, more entertaining game, even with a much weaker squad.

That's one thing that's great about McKenzie. You know he always rocks up with a plan. cant say the same about Deans.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Lions: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Manu Tuilagi, 12 Jonathan Davies, 11 Tommy Bowe, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Toby Faletau, 7 Sam Warburton (capt), 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Geoff Parling, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Matt Stevens, 2 Tom Youngs, 1 Gethin Jenkins.
Replacements: 16 Richard Hibbard, 17 Mako Vunipola, 18 Alun-Wyn Jones, 19 Paul O'Connell, 20 Justin Tipuric, 21 Conor Murray, 22 Jonathan Sexton, 23 George North.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Sean Maitland consigned to the dirt trackers possibly Davies as well if he's lining out at 12, Cuthbert by that team is in line for the test 14 jersey ahead of Bowe (both natural 14s) which if true is a mistake.

Tempted to back the Reds in this one. The Lions pack looks quite callow, 2 blokes who haven't played in a long time, one making his first start, one still coming back from injury and a terrible tighthead.

Status
Not open for further replies.