• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the Blood Red: Lions v Queensland Reds 8th June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I wonder if Link is trying to sucker the Lions into thinking it will be chuck it around at all costs, when the real game plan might be to go though the guts and make the breakdown a battle?

I can see a bit of adventure from the start to get the lions spreading, then maybe bringing it tighter with pick and go and forward runners.

I am sure it will be a mixed bag in attack.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder if Link is trying to sucker the Lions into thinking it will be chuck it around at all costs, when the real game plan might be to go though the guts and make the breakdown a battle?

I can see a bit of adventure from the start to get the lions spreading, then maybe bringing it tighter with pick and go and forward runners.

I am sure it will be a mixed bag in attack.

It is a strong team with tonnes of experience. They will hopefully get the Lions playing out of their comfort zone.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Reds response is to avoid set piece and make fitness a bigger factor so their pack can cope. Cooper has been given the all clear to fuck the penalties, fuck the lineouts, fuck the scrums, fuck stopping the game and just go for quick taps non-stop. Look out for Davies to be thundering in for a try off a cooper linebreak. Phipps' service isn't of a Genia standard but it's quick enough and it'll do. He can have a dart too and has also got pace. Morahan is an outstanding counter - long range try scorer.

We have Phipps playing for us? I don't know what Robbie Deans or Damien Hill would say about that. :p

I would also prefer Nick Frisby over Nick Phipps. :)

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Looking forward to this game, should be a cracker. The first real (sorry Force) of the Lions tour.

More than a few questions to be answered in this one, and not just the obvious what national anthems will be played, or will the Reds play in some hideous multi-colured jersey?

The anticiaption that 12 years of waiting comes to the fore. Not that I want to be making too much of it!!

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
To be fair to Qwerty, it's kind of fun doing some Quade Cooper fishing and waiting for lewisr's inevitable bite on the hook.

As much as I apparently like to 'bite' I don't think qwerty was fishing. But cheers for highlighting what a ridiculous comment it was.

QC (Quade Cooper) captain = all in. Either a blow out or a boil over!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok just saw this, I was not trolling, I never said the Lions would throw the game but I honestly believe they would prefer to face Quade in the Tests than JOC (James O'Connor). Whether that means go hard on him or take it easy I don't know but I doubt you will see them try to exploit him under pressure.

I'm going to place a bet on Quade to score a try.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ok just saw this, I was not trolling, I never said the Lions would throw the game but I honestly believe they would prefer to face Quade in the Tests than JOC (James O'Connor). Whether that means go hard on him or take it easy I don't know but I doubt you will see them try to exploit him under pressure.

I'm going to place a bet on Quade to score a try.
I don't doubt they would prefer it. Rightly or wrongly, the yap from northern commentators usually involves a raised eyebrow or smirk at the mention of Quade being there. I suspect they don't rate him much.
That might not be a bad thing, you know. I have no doubt he could be more dangerous for them to deal with; I suspect they think he'll be more dangerous for us to deal with. I'd love it if he tore them a new one tomorrow. Really.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I love the prospect of this game as much as I hate the prospect of listening to Marto commentate for this game...a fuckload

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Biggsy you raise an intriguing aspect of this game which is the coaching battle. McKenzie has a chance to show he can out-coach Deans; play a better, more entertaining game, even with a much weaker squad.

That's one thing that's great about McKenzie. You know he always rocks up with a plan. cant say the same about Deans.

Or it could backfire spectacularly. Hopefully the former rather than the latter.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Press the red button - "Rocket rod is like a wee Bambi on speed" ; "Quade Could sidestep three men in a telephone box"; Radike is as useful as a lighthouse in a desert". Alas, the British commentary team no longer has Bill McLaren. You might have to put up with some Owen Ferrell love instead.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I'm so glad halfpenny isn't playing. His boot is a matchwinner.... For some reason i thought he was really old during the RWC. only born in 88

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Press the red button - "Rocket rod is like a wee Bambi on speed" ; "Quade Could sidestep three men in a telephone box"; Radike is as useful as a lighthouse in a desert". Alas, the British commentary team no longer has Bill McLaren. You might have to put up with some Owen Ferrell love instead.
Balance can only be a good thing.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Game day, Plenty to do before stumps at 2 and than get a belly full of steak at the Morrison..

Bloody excited about this game. Its going to be packed and Caxton street will be out of control and going to be a good night.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Been a while since going out in Brisbane after a game. Caxton still the place to go? Any other ideas that'll have lions supporters, but won't be hugely packed nearby?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I couldnt think of any worse Rugby player than Phipps playing for us.

Phipps is so atrociously incompetent as a rugby player that multiple highly accomplished professional coaches have selected and recruited him to play for their teams. :confused:

Anyway, I'm a little unhappy that I'll be at a dinner tonight and can't watch the game live. Give 'em fucking hell, Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.