• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the form teams: Reds vs Stormers Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Regarding crowd behavior, no better example then Thomo,s lot when Ireland plays, I love the silence when a kicker lines up. Remind me to our Paarl lot at interschools.

Nrewlands is worse to the Reds lot. Myself hate the boeing, it show a bit of the persons upbringing and rugby education. Myself show my hate towards this loud and Rob Louws reply is that its just stupid youngsters that knows sweet vokol about the spirit of rugby which is unique. We dont want rugby to go the poofball route.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I just noticed this on RugbyHeaven

Centrebet reported before the kick-off that a gambler had plunged $325,000 on the Stormers to beat the Reds at Suncorp Stadium in what is believed to be one of the largest individual wagers laid in any football code this year.

Ouch.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
PaarlBok said:
Regarding crowd behavior, no better example then Thomo,s lot when Ireland plays, I love the silence when a kicker lines up.

Yeah I'd love to pull that on someone at the SFS. Except the simple rule is the crowd can go utterly apeshit until the kicker moves off his mark. THAT would freak people out.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
Reddy! said:
Enjoy playing the Sharks, Stormers and Crusaders in the next few weeks Blue boy :lmao:

All good but why the constant need for name calling? If you are unable to crack a joke or appear to have with then donlt try to be funny calling people names.

Personally I find they way you seem to celebrate the Reds winning in very poor taste.

I am a big Reds fand now and even though I live in Sydney they are my favorite Aussie side. As for their fans...well if you are the norm then it's a real pity.

Interesting to go back to this Reds thread after round 1
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php/topic,9892.0.html

and see which ones are the real Reds supporters. The arrogant , childish (my kids do the same thing when you confront them with a valued argument, only making a joke) posters were to kak scare prepared to stand up for their team when they need to. No all of a sudden they give real Reds supporters like Spec, Nods , Ruggo exc a bad name. Posters like this guy make me feel dirty , standing up for his team after round 1.

Some Reds poster going over the top, nope Mr Spook support the show ponies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Cheers PB. Reading that thread puts into perspective just how far the Reds have come this season. Our injuries have been Blessings in disguise in hindsight. Our confidence and self belief is inspiring. Not only to Reds fans but people in general. The below are standouts for me and is what makes me proud to be a reds Fan.

1/ If Hardman injury out of the Tahs game never came, would we ever see the remarkable ability for Saia Fainga'a. Hardman would have been the safe option. Hardman can now retire proud of his contribution to QLD rugby knowing that the next bloke is more than capable of replacing him.

2/ If Horwill were never out for the season, would we see the rise of Rob Simmons. We all knew Genia was a very mature player for his age and a competent vice captain but we would never have known what a great captain he is and how little Burdon it has placed on his own game.

3/ Crusaders game. We were always going to come out swinging against the Tahs but to back up the way we did was brilliant. We did not go looking for a respectable result; we went out to win and took the necessary chances to do so. The out of nowhere selection of Shatz and they way he lived up to and beyond expectations.

4/ The Chiefs game. We went over there without some key players in Digby and Hynes against a team who at that point were blowing opposition away. 15 nil down and could of laid down and died. Shit no, we dug deep and worked bloody hard as a unit to come back and win that one. On the road made it more impressive.

5/ The smashing of the Force. My reasons are spiteful so I won’t go there.

6/ Loss to the Sharks. No shame in losing when you put that kind of effort in. A few Rugby aspects let us down and a young side learnt some lessons out of it. That so easily could have been a Reds win at the end but not to be. Remember one game at a time, we learnt our lessons and moved on.

7/ Win over the Bulls. We ran them off of their feet. Wasn’t it meant to work the other way. For all the great rugby that win boils down to sheer guts and heart.

I hope I can add to this list in coming weeks.

T

tranquility

Mate I am very glad you found that 'Reds Frame of Mind' thread - I had been looking for that.

T

TOCC

PaarlBok said:
Blue said:
Reddy! said:
Enjoy playing the Sharks, Stormers and Crusaders in the next few weeks Blue boy :lmao:

All good but why the constant need for name calling? If you are unable to crack a joke or appear to have with then donlt try to be funny calling people names.

Personally I find they way you seem to celebrate the Reds winning in very poor taste.

I am a big Reds fand now and even though I live in Sydney they are my favorite Aussie side. As for their fans...well if you are the norm then it's a real pity.

Interesting to go back to this Reds thread after round 1
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php/topic,9892.0.html

and see which ones are the real Reds supporters. The arrogant , childish (my kids do the same thing when you confront them with a valued argument, only making a joke) posters were to kak scare prepared to stand up for their team when they need to. No all of a sudden they give real Reds supporters like Spec, Nods , Ruggo exc a bad name. Posters like this guy make me feel dirty , standing up for his team after round 1.

give me a break, your hardly a modest poster yourself

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
With you there TOCC. Glass houses and all that. Been to every home game for years and have found nothing that I haven't seen at other grounds and sports. And after hearing the stories of players being spat on and having stuff thrown at them as they ran out onto SA rugby fields I'd say there are some short memories too.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sully said:
With you there TOCC. Glass houses and all that. Been to every home game for years and have found nothing that I haven't seen at other grounds and sports. And after hearing the stories of players being spat on and having stuff thrown at them as they ran out onto SA rugby fields I'd say there are some short memories too.
Boet you dont read my top page post :nta:

Nrewlands is worse to the Reds lot. Myself hate the boeing, it show a bit of the persons upbringing and rugby education. Myself show my hate towards this loud and Rob Louws reply is that its just stupid youngsters that knows sweet vokol about the spirit of rugby which is unique. We dont want rugby to go the poofball route.
Vok glass houses and all of that. I go yearly to Paarl Interschools (the biggest one in the world) where we have 30,000 people watching a schoolboy game, no fenses and all that kak and can promise you wont see more celebrations when a try is score by either team, old boys running in their 1000s on the field to congratolate the scorer but that disappear within minutes when the place kicker place the ball, every single one off the pitch and dead silence.

That seems nowadays to work better then this silly booing we have all round the grounds which morivate the kickers to do better. Its stupid supporters that thinks a professional rugby player wont consentrate harder and motivate him more to be successfull becuase of the booing.

Rugby have a unique spirit and those that dont understand it , well they havent played rugby themself or played it at prymary school level.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:

I'm not sure if you are complimenting or putting me down. Please elaborate :)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Reddy! said:
PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
Ok so the TMO is infallible and the touch judge and ref are not :lmao: You are now criticising the refs. Looked like a try for mine (Genia confirmed that he got it down - are you calling him a liar?) and Habana wouldn't have made it.
Genia conformation , fuck me, so you think the TMO and all the Aus commentators are liars? There was no evidense from all angles, so no try and vokken stop putting words out on my behalf. Have to know better then replying to your kak anyway.

Edit (Moses): no need to get personal

Clearly this Reds team is the best ever rugby side assembled in the history of Super 14. Admit it and you'll feel better :lmao:
You started it.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Biffo said:
JJJ said:
Given that there don't appear to be any official repercussions for referees calling bad games against Aussie sides (unlike saffa sides, for instance), I don't mind the crowd giving the refs a serve when they get it wrong. There doesn't seem to be anything else keeping them honest.

OK, who gives the spectators a serve when they are wrong? Water cannons primed by a decibel counter and activated by the replay showing their error? Pepper spray might be a useful variant at selected grounds.

*** Should I have attached a smiley?

The other spectators. If someone's acting the dickhead, you call him on it - or her. If a kid is shouting at TP, or MP (Moana Pasifika), I will always call them on it - because I was, back in the day, and you learn.

Oh, and Oom - Moses praat nie aan Oom nie. Laat rus.

T

TOCC

PaarlBok said:
Sully said:
Boet you dont read my top page post :nta:

Vok glass houses and all of that. I go yearly to Paarl Interschools (the biggest one in the world) where we have 30,000 people watching a schoolboy game, no fenses and all that kak and can promise you wont see more celebrations when a try is score by either team, old boys running in their 1000s on the field to congratolate the scorer but that disappear within minutes when the place kicker place the ball, every single one off the pitch and dead silence.

That seems nowadays to work better then this silly booing we have all round the grounds which morivate the kickers to do better. Its stupid supporters that thinks a professional rugby player wont consentrate harder and motivate him more to be successfull becuase of the booing.

Rugby have a unique spirit and those that dont understand it , well they havent played rugby themself or played it at prymary school level.
your right, Reds fans could learn a thing or two from South African fans, Piet Van Zyl(pictured below) is a glowing endorsement of how fans should act at rugby matches
piet+van+zyl.jpg

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Go to the rugby be passionate about your team scream your guts out but be respectfull of those around you, especially women and children. Often I find myself speaking out at others about foul language and personal sledging. This applies specially to any junior fixture. I feel it is good form to acknowledge all good play.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ruggo said:
Go to the rugby be passionate about your team scream your guts out but be respectfull of those around you, especially women and children. Often I find myself speaking out at others about foul language and personal sledging. This applies specially to any junior fixture. I feel it is good form to acknowledge all good play.
I have seen none of these things at any Reds game this year! Beside booing Kicks at goal and perceived poor reffing decisions, neither of which is unusual, our crowds have been well-mannered

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Newb said:
the reds will be more about confidence this year than anything (as in most years i suppose...). if they can move on and fireup consistently, they should be in for a good season. but if they have a few more of these heartbreakers and start to believe in their woes, it could go downhill fast. talent isn't the issue.

and i think they could easily finish better than the sharks and chiefs in addition to those stated by louie.

found this in the post PB linked to. had forgotten all about it :thumb

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
TOCC said:
your right, Reds fans could learn a thing or two from South African fans, Piet Van Zyl(pictured below) is a glowing endorsement of how fans should act at rugby matches
piet+van+zyl.jpg

Aah the good old days. You'll bring a tear to my eye.

Mate, you have no idea what the reaction in SA was over this guy. Don't think because of one fluffybunny, everyone else would behave like this guy. He was a hero among a small community of gun toting, racist farmers but a villain to 40 million other people.

Best visitors don't go down to Brookie on a Sunday and draw their conclusions of Aussie sports fans from there. They'd probably leave right away.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
There's a pic of McHugh - who's a twat of note, as Lindommer and I can confirm - on the ground with McCaw and (I think) Krige twatting the life out of an unseen van Zyl.

Just before the HEC final in 2006, McHugh was giving a lecture in Limerick. I set up the next speaker, who was talking about stress in the workplace, with the line about, "We all have different stresses at work", that pic as a slide and animated over it the immortal caption from one site, "Penalty: ref not rolling away".

The audience pissed themselves laughing. McHugh was not amused in the slightest. :lmao: :thumb

So, the Saturday after in Cardiff, I'm in Jury's there, talking to the refs (my Dad's a ref, so they've known me all my life). And I'm telling them about this. At which point, from behind my left elbow, I hear McHugh's voice saying, "So it was you did that!"

At which point the refs collectively collapsed laughing.

Not the most popular of men, the bould Dave. ;)

J

Jury

Ruggo said:

Yep. I agree. I hate all the booing that's crept into the games. We would have got clip around the ear from our nannies and aunties if we'd done that when we were young.

I never take my wife to the rugby anymore. She got me into some fights for responding to some of the dickhead sledging that went on ...

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I've enjoyed the atmosphere at Suncorp this year. Sure there are idiots who get carried away, and I'm not a fan of booing kickers either, but the crowd has generally been good, and respectful of the visiting team and their supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.