• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the form teams: Reds vs Stormers Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah great win, most importantly because it was ugly, hard and they toughed it out.

I thought after the first few minutes the Reds were still celebrating beating the Bulls, but they did enough to get back into the game and toughed it out.

Well done

R

rugbywhisperer

Sully said:
A hell hole? Really? Maybe you should visit Quamby or Cloncurry or Sydney or Kynuna for a comparison.
As for the Ref how will he learn if we don't tell him he is wrong!

Shudda put out the fishing sign. It's called PUN.
gees with all the fishing gear being flashed around here on these forums who would have thought you would have missed such an obvious (and obviously poor) attempt at dry humor.
Yeah - I live on the Gold Coast because someone has to do it. Wake up Sully and Nod.

The ref wasn't wrong on the shoulder charge against Habana and the crowd's response was disgusting to say the least.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
RW - Your expectations of the crowd are pretty high. Do you really expect an impartial attitude to the ref and all decisions. Its a home game ffs. I'm proud of the atmosphere queenslanders create in Suncorp at the moment, its awesome!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
rugbywhisperer said:
Sully said:
A hell hole? Really? Maybe you should visit Quamby or Cloncurry or Sydney or Kynuna for a comparison.

gees with all the fishing gear being flashed around here on these forums who would have thought you would have missed such an obvious (and obviously poor) attempt at dry humor.
Yeah - I live on the Gold Coast because someone has to do it. Wake up Speccie and Nod.

The ref wasn't wrong on the shoulder charge against Habana and the crowd's response was disgusting to say the least.
Fair enough RW. I didn't see the rod and reel.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
If it weren't for the Reds this season would be downright depressing as a Wallabies supporter. Neither the Tahs nor the Brumbies have looked convincing. The best the Tahs played was probably against the Bulls, and they still lost the match. Now they've lost Robinson and Palu. Picture the Reds in their usual position near the bottom of the ladder and imagine how bad our chances in this 3N would seem at this stage.

R

rugbywhisperer

rsea said:
RW - Your expectations of the crowd are pretty high. Do you really expect an impartial attitude to the ref and all decisions. Its a home game ffs. I'm proud of the atmosphere queenslanders create in Suncorp at the moment, its awesome!

Yes I do - the referee and the assistant referees are totally sacrosanct.
It matters not that they may at times be wrong - you don't abuse them, particularly when they are right and the crowd just don't like the ruling.
They have a hard enough job as it is without bushpig mentality detracting from the spectacle. I will not, never have condoned or tolerated abuse of sporting officials.
If you don't like the way they do or what they do, give it a try for yourself and see how utterly unrewarding it can be when faced with such behavior.
That is just plain arrogant ignorance of decency and the laws of the game.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
rugbywhisperer said:
Yes I do - the referee and the assistant referees are totally sacrosanct.
It matters not that they may at times be wrong - you don't abuse them, particularly when they are right and the crowd just don't like the ruling.
They have a hard enough job as it is without bushpig mentality detracting from the spectacle. I will not, never have condoned or tolerated abuse of sporting officials.
If you don't like the way they do or what they do, give it a try for yourself and see how utterly unrewarding it can be when faced with such behavior.
That is just plain arrogant ignorance of decency and the laws of the game.
I disagree. The way the Brumbies supporters dissed the ref after the Hurricanes loss was way out of line, but the usual jeering during the match is par for the course.

R

rugbywhisperer

I disagree. The way the Brumbies supporters dissed the ref after the Hurricanes loss was way out of line, but the usual jeering during the match is par for the course. [/quote]

That doesn't make it right.

let me ask you a question.
You obviously feel indignant when a ref wrongly penalises your team.

What is your reactioin when it is reversed, when your team get a penalty and slots 3 points when it wasn't the correct decision.
Do you still voice your disapproval and insist the 3 points be given back.
of course you don't, you take it when you can and decry anyone that gets it.
That sir is being twofaced.

learn to appreciate the game on its merits and leave the officials alone - that's all I'm saying.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Given that there don't appear to be any official repercussions for referees calling bad games against Aussie sides (unlike saffa sides, for instance), I don't mind the crowd giving the refs a serve when they get it wrong. There doesn't seem to be anything else keeping them honest. Otherwise the refs who are considered the best and fairest will be the refs who err on the side of bias against Aussie sides, since that's the direction which garners the least criticism.

Yeah, I'm looking at you Kaplan.

D

David

Give it a rest RW, it is part of the atmosphere and nature of live sports and it's always going to be present across all sports whether you like it or not. The fans are paying money so they should have the right to dish it out to the ref should they feel a call is unfair, and the ref is being paid good money to deal with it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Otherwise there would be no such thing as a home ground advantage.

I knew you were joking RW who doesn't love The Goldie. Actually I also quite like all the other places I mentioned except Cloncurry.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Come on guys, if you can't give a bit of stick to opposition supporters after winning a game, when can you? All a bit of fun, if anything, poor form to those who are taking themselves so seriously. This is the Reds, and I'm going to enjoy our winning ways while it lasts. My bad jokes after a game are going to have no impact on the Reds performances whatsoever, and as far as this place turning into PR, I'm going to have to do a lot worse than that.

Anyway, sorry to those if I disrupted the peace on this forum, I'll use the fishing icon next week when the final bound Reds thrash the hapless Brumbies :fishing

And by the way, Rugby Whisperer does have a point about SE-QLD being a hell hole, especially from his perspective on the Gold Coast. But I digress, LG style.

I expect the Reds to play a similar game plan against the Brumbies to the one they used to beat the Bulls. The Brumbies defence isn't as tight. The Stormers defence was very disciplined, they all came up as a line, with the wingers pushing forward to prevent the Reds having space to move.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The most I usually do or see people do is clap politely. They do the equivelant when their own side scores off a poor decision, some mutterings of "flat pass" or the admiting hush.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
DPK said:
Do you cheer for the opposition when they score a try?
RW - You can call me two faced if you like but I'm there to support my team and have a good time.
DPK - Not in the same way as when my team scores, but yes. Its interesting to watch oz teams in SA and the deathly silence when they go over. In Aust they SA & NZ teams nearly always get a decent cheer but I think thats mostly the expats in the crowd

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Sully said:

Yeah - I live on the Gold Coast because someone has to do it. Wake up Speccie and Nod.

more PR likeness. The old make an outlandish statement and when called on it simply say "but I was fishing".

Status
Not open for further replies.