• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the form teams: Reds vs Stormers Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chief

This will be one of the toughest games of the season for both teams. The last few weeks, from what the Bulls, Stormers, Reds and Crusaders and how they have played have been the bench mark for this competition.

A crowd of 30,000 is all possible, but I'm hesitant, as a long weekend, and it being on Friday night also plays part. Reds have had a lot of publicity of late so all is definitely possible.

The Reds could have beaten the Bulls by more, as the Bulls shouldn't have scored that final try, because that was definitely not a try. The Reds made a lot of handling errors despite their huge possession. The Stormers recent form certainly should and will be a worry, but we'll have to see. Interesting to see who will be named. Shaping up to be a cracker.

D

daz

chief said:
This will be one of the toughest games of the season for both teams. The last few weeks, from what the Bulls, Stormers, Reds and Crusaders and how they have played have been the bench mark for this competition.

I agree. Very different game plan needed. While the Bulls were specifically targeted in the areas of fitness and quick work at the breakdown to keep the Bulls tackling non-stop (which also allowed the Reds to take advantage of the gaps and make good line breaks with very fast ball movement), the Stormers will be equal to this with a stand-out defense.

Lots of handling errors by the Reds last week, but that was made null and void by the superior possesion percentages. They will simply not get away with turn-overs in this game

It seems to me that now is the time for the Reds to show patience and gain ground via smart phases. I would like to see lots of 7+ phases in the Reds stats and just grind the Stormers back through sheer weight of ball carrying. Obviously there needs to be some flash and run where the situation presents, but all in all, this may really be the time for the boys to win ugly.

Forgot to mention another important fact: Once inside the Stormers half and a penalty presents, fer gawds sake take the shot!

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Reddy! said:
TOCC said:
Radlike Samo has signed with the Reds on a short term loan to cover Humphries

nice bullshit.

This game is going to be huge, both teams are going to be up for it, and the Stormers will be very aware of the challenge having seen the Reds roll the Bulls, and the Reds...nuff said.

Oops, looks like you were right mate. Is he a chance for the bench?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
David said:
PaarlBok said:
Godfrey said:
Anyway - Just bought some tickets and I'm bloody pumped for this one!
Anyway one game at a time and the red danger it is. Forget to mention but I am sure the Stormers have one of the best mauls going with their lineouts. Thats the weapon they should use against the Reds. Cant understand why the Brutes havent used it, even did not look if Matfield & kie contest the opposite lineouts on saturday. Maybe that Surfers Paradise got to them, luckily our lot know surfing and beach parties and like Bekker showed after his try, know to down a cold one.
They couldn't really challenge our line out because the majority of the time when the Bulls kicked it out we took a quick lineout and pretty much ran it back into the Bulls half or went front quickly or to the back, I think on form the Reds have the best counter attacking back 3 in the tournament. However I was impressed by some of the Stormers counter attack against the Chiefs, so who knows. Looks to be a cracking game and if the Reds can keep the same intensity of defence that they showed against the 'Sader and Bulls then they might come away with another top 4 scalp.

They were able to do this becuase the Bulls kicked like shit, specifically Morney Steyn.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Morne Steyn one week, Peter Grant the next, f*ck! Another discipline game from the Reds this week needed, were a bit lucky with Steyn having an off day with the boot.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
chief said:
The Reds could have beaten the Bulls by more, as the Bulls shouldn't have scored that final try, because that was definitely not a try. The Reds made a lot of handling errors despite their huge possession. The Stormers recent form certainly should and will be a worry, but we'll have to see. Interesting to see who will be named. Shaping up to be a cracker.

Wannernburg's try? What was wrong with it? Just looked at it again and there was nothing wrong with it.

The Higginb try was not a try because he was a mile offside but like I said elsewhere, the best team won.

The Bulls panicked fot the first time this year and picked the wrong option for the last ten minutes. Nine times out of ten they will score if they have that much pill but somehow never got the runners in position.

A draw would have been a bad refelction of the game so it all worked out.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Reddy! said:
Morne Steyn one week, Peter Grant the next, f*ck! Another discipline game from the Reds this week needed, were a bit lucky with Steyn having an off day with the boot.
Grants kicking is also shite, no distance and struggle to get it out. If he repeat this against the Reds we will be buried, dead wood. People have talk a long time about Grants distance on his kicks, fuck that if you have a lineout like the Stormers, just kick the pill out, no worries, that put the prerssure on him trying to find distance.

His place kicking is impressive tho and defense and distributing.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
PaarlBok said:
If they would have played on Newlands this weekend, it would have been a sold out today.

PB,

Cape Town has about double the population as Brisbane, and Rugby is the third most popular winter sport in Brisbane at the moment. 30k is a good crowd.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Blue, you continue to stake a claim at being the most bias, one-eyed, arrogant poster on this forum. One day you will come to terms with the lowly workman like Reds comprehensively beating the all mighty Super 14 Champions, the Bulls.

In any case, Scott Higginbotham is the fastest backrower in the game, everybody knows that. He was onside but his speed gave the illusion of him being offside, before he jogged passed the 2 slowest centres in the game to score casually in the corner.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
PaarlBok said:
Reddy! said:
Grants kicking is also shite, no distance and struggle to get it out. If he repeat this against the Reds we will be buried, dead wood. People have talk a long time about Grants distance on his kicks, fuck that if you have a lineout like the Stormers, just kick the pill out, no worries, that put the prerssure on him trying to find distance.

His place kicking is impressive tho and defense and distributing.

Yeh I was referring to his place kicking. I love when the opposition kicks the ball to the Reds back 3.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Reddy! said:
Blue, you continue to stake a claim at being the most bias, one-eyed, arrogant poster on this forum. One day you will come to terms with the lowly workman like Reds comprehensively beating the all mighty Super 14 Champions, the Bulls.

In any case, Scott Higginbotham is the fastest backrower in the game, everybody knows that. He was onside but his speed gave the illusion of him being offside, before he jogged passed the 2 slowest centres in the game to score casually in the corner.

Reddy,

I think you need to read his post again. He is a long way from arrogant and one-eyed when compared to many others on this forum.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Fark, if both these teams play at full speed there are gonna be few spontaneous combustions around the place, including the daks of a few of this forum's readers.

Seriously though, can the Reds defensively live with the Stormers at full speed? Definitely going to need another game of keepball I reckon

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Higginbotham the fastest backrower in the game :thumb

But seriously, just some friendly pre-match spite. I think it's great that there are South African supporters on this forum.

S

Spook

Reddy! said:

Blue was being most conciliatory Reddy but you are probably on a wind up. Kankowski and Spies would have pace on Higgers and they play in the backrow. Higgers is quick though and I really think he deserves Wallaby honors.

Status
Not open for further replies.