• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ben Mowen survives alleged mutiny plot.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, Bret Harris over at the Oz has this juicy tabloid piece today.........

WALLABIES captain Ben Mowen has survived a mutiny attempt with some of his teammates believed to have lodged a protest against his leadership on the current European tour.

While the attention has been focused on the Dublin drinking dramas, the captaincy issue has bubbled beneath the surface. Sources have told The Australian that a delegation of players confronted Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie over Mowen's captaincy after the loss to England at Twickenham, which ended their dream of winning the Grand Slam.

It is understood that McKenzie dismissed the players' concerns. Number eight Mowen has subsequently led the team to straight wins against Italy, Ireland and Scotland, the first time Australia has won three in a row since 2008. Mowen, 28, did not make his Test debut until the first game against the British and Irish Lions in Brisbane in June, yet he has leap-frogged experienced Australia captains James Horwill and Will Genia to lead the team in Europe.

There appears to be more support among the players for Horwill as captain, but it is difficult to argue with Mowen's 80 per cent winning record. He has led the Wallabies to all, but one of their five wins under McKenzie.

It is possible that Mowen now commands more respect, but he still faces a big challenge to hold his place in the Wallabies' back-row next year when David Pocock, Scott Higginbotham and Wycliff Palu return from injury.

If Mowen leads the Wallabies to victory against Wales in their last Test of the year in Cardiff on Sunday morning (AEDT), it will strengthen his claim to retain the role for next season.

- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y-e6frg7o6-1226770828263#sthash.QefCuLx9.dpuf

Harris seems to be heavily influenced by Growden recently, and like Spiro is a member of the Robbie Deans fan club so I'm unsure whether or not to take this seriously.........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So much sports (and political) journalism seems to be gossip mongering these days. I just switch off from it. On that basis I'm taking this story with a pinch of salt, because it's not like we're playing worse now that Mowen is captain. Whatever mutiny is/was taking place it doesn't seem to have affected the performance on the paddock. I guess we'll find out this weekend, but the squad seems to be getting better as the weeks go on, not sliding off the rails.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It supposedly happened after the England match, so if there's any truth to it it surely hasn't had much affect on the team...........

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There was a fairly close up shot of Mowen after some scrummaging stuff up.
It was clear to all that the England loose head was packing at that ridiculous angle he manages.
My impression on the other side of the globe was that the pigs were expecting Mowen to front the ref and have a good hard go about the bullshit and Mowen was looking at the ref like he wanted to say something.
But at the same time he had a look of a lack of self confidence as if he thought maybe he didnt belong.
I have been a huge fan of the bloke and think he should have played tests before this season.
But the look, which I may not have adequately conveyed in this post, ended my support for him as captain. I was left with the very firm impression that he does not have the requisite presence on the field and that, albeit in little more than an instant, he failed a true test of leadership.
There was an identical situation in Italy.
But I think Horwill has suffered the same tongue tied or ham fisted issues when dealing with refs.

T

Train Without a Station

Good to see Link dismiss it.

I wouldn't read too much into the 80 percent win rate as captain when you compare opponents there aren't too many top teams Mowen has faced as captain though.

I agree Mowen may have difficulty to maintain his spot in the team if we get a few players back from injury, but now with Horwill still getting back to his best, Mowen is definitely the right choice.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It was clear to all that the England loose head was packing at that ridiculous angle he manages.
My impression on the other side of the globe was that the pigs were expecting Mowen to front the ref and have a good hard go about the bullshit and Mowen was looking at the ref like he wanted to say something.
But at the same time he had a look of a lack of self confidence as if he thought maybe he didnt belong.
I have been a huge fan of the bloke and think he should have played tests before this season.
But the look, which I may not have adequately conveyed in this post, ended my support for him as captain. I was left with the very firm impression that he does not have the requisite presence on the field and that, albeit in little more than an instant, he failed a true test of leadership.
But I think Horwill has suffered the same tongue tied or ham fisted issues when dealing with refs.

Give him a break.

Captains are allowed to learn and improve as well.

And in any case I can't see anyone else that fits the requirements at the moment.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Each player who took the field in the England test can take ownership of that shit pile. Blaming Mowen for that is just stupid.

Mowen has barely been tested as Wallaby captain. He is yet to face the off field part of the role domestically that comes with the job. I don't intend to cheapen the honor of his position but that is the reality of his captaincy. I still think he is a stop gap option and I think Horwill will reclaim the job in 2014. The only thing I read into him losing it in the first place is that it was done to shed some work load in order for him to focus on finding his own form.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You have to take this story with a pinch of salt.

It could be that a few of Kev's mates went up to Link to say 'we think Kev is a better captain'. Certainly a valid viewpoint to share with the coach, and Link was well within his rights to send them on their way.

I think it was understandable that a few blokes would question Mowen's position after that game- it was a pretty shitty display. But Link was right to stick with him, as subsequent results have shown.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
In keeping with the tinfoil hat theme from the other thread -

Maybe it was gregan mark 2 who had a go and pulled out the 'give it to me!'

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Only one solution - Dave Dennis for Captain.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Its just more good PR for Link... no matter if it is true or not... Mowen is a good leader, Howrill hasnt been for sometime... I think some of the players need to focus on being more professional and less school boy... we saw that with the Dublin 6 gate...
I liked Links quote this week in the papers when he refered to some players having played over 90 tests but no big moments of Bledisloes or RWC wins in that time.... and that the team had the change to be better and not continue down the same path... So true Mr McKenzie...

Status
Not open for further replies.