• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bernard Tomic is a ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
complete fluffybunny in my opinion. All money, no class. If I met him on the rugby field I would sort him out proper.

Your opinion?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
dont know enough about him, but he doesnt feel like an underdog hewitt or rafter did.

what leads you to your opinion scarfy?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't mind him, the kid can certainly play. Jim Courier mentioned the difference between Tomic and Hewitt, Rafter, Cash and previous generations is that he is more reserved on the court. Makes a guy much harder to like when he shows little emotion but you can't honestly hate the guy for not responding to the crowd. His post match interviews just annoy me but experts in the field seem to have a lot of respect for the guy and he looks to be pretty smart with his decision making and responds well under pressure.

Maturity will be the difference between a no-body and a grand slam champion, both equally likely at this point in time.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
His bullshit yesterday, calling for the review, then pretending he didn;t when his opponent immediately hit it out. If you watch closely, as soon as the ball goes out, he says "I didn't say anything."

As I always say, rugby is the last resting place of good sportsmanship, and even among us, it's only a matter of time. I watched a cricket game at my local oval for a few minutes last week, and the keeper and slips must have sledged the batsman every single ball I was there.

Is winning really so important (for international tennis players or local cricketers) that you have "win at all costs"?

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
As I always say, rugby is the last resting place of good sportsmanship, and even among us, it's only a matter of time.

I present to you sir Berger (Eye gouge) McCaw (who me sir?) the NZ crowd (booing Cooper) the Qld Reds crowd (Booing McCaw when he gets caught) Ashton (fuckwit) England, and all those wankers who thought it was funny to fend me off with the point of their elbows.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
All true. As a matter of fact, American football is probably not a bad model. It assumes that you will play hard, (and maximise yor earning potential blah blah blah), but intentionally hurting another player is absolutely no go. The players also seem to get along OK, help each other up off the astroturf, etc.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
All true. As a matter of fact, American football is probably not a bad model. It assumes that you will play hard, (and maximise yor earning potential blah blah blah), but intentionally hurting another player is absolutely no go. The players also seem to get along OK, help each other up off the astroturf, etc.

They head-but to concuss, and tackle the knees to cripple. Yeah, totally clean.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Mate, I thought I was hard to please. They don't do either. They head-butt to stop the player advancing and they tackle the knees to stop the player advancing. It's certainly a sport that is beautifully designed to create head and leg injuries, but I don't believe that any of these guys are trying to injure each other.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mate, I thought I was hard to please. They don't do either. They head-butt to stop the player advancing and they tackle the knees to stop the player advancing. It's certainly a sport that is beautifully designed to create head and leg injuries, but I don't believe that any of these guys are trying to injure each other.
they seem to work on the basis that they don't take cheap shots because they're open to being on the receiving end.
Proof of your point is the retention of the foul, in a multi million dollar game, of "unnecessary roughness".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Well I watched a game on the weekend where a defender head butted the side of someone's helmet and knocked them out.

If you want to stop forward momentum, you don't do it with your helmet, hard surfaces don't give enough impact time. They do give injuries.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jesus scarfie you're coping it from all angles here. Inside Shoulder is arguing it the wrong way and in not so many words I agree with him, nonetheless what little NFL I have seen seems to support your case.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
His bullshit yesterday, calling for the review, then pretending he didn;t when his opponent immediately hit it out. If you watch closely, as soon as the ball goes out, he says "I didn't say anything."

My understanding of the review is that you have to voice your challenge, it is not just about putting your racquet in the air.

Anyway, he must be an alright guy, his girlfriend is smoking hot.
219702-donay-meijer.jpg

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
OK, I'll keep up my rock-lilke defence on this. His girlffriend is not smoking hot, she is just half-naked, which I admit is similar, but not the same.

With Tomic, it's not a one-off error of judgement in the heat of battle. It's more like a completely amoral worldview, which I detest. When we follow sport, it is really just about the athleticism? Or has sport always been linked to higher values of honour and courage? If you have to behave like an arsehole to win (I'm looking at you, Australian cricket), then I'm just not interested.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So you make a judgement about the entirety of Tomic's character based on one isolated act in the heat of battle. OK but I have to say I disgree.

I choose to look at everything Tomic has done in this tournament, that incident but also the way he has carried himself generally. I have actually been surprised with how level headed and down to earth he seems, and franlky I have been impressed. I don't know the guy so have no real idea of how he is, but I would happily have a beer and a chat with him if I saw him at the pub.

The world of tennis is not great for breeding good blokes. Tomic has trained hard since he was about 6, and that does not lend itself to being a well rounded person. This is not to excuse him at all, but it does explain why so many child prodigies seem hard to deal with, and for that reason I will forgive him the occasional slip up. ALthough FFS I think this one is a bit of a beat up. Dolgopolov should have known to play the whistle, like in any sport. The point should have been replayed though.

But as I said overall I have been surprised how easy going he has seemed, and am cheering for him against Federer.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
So you make a judgement about the entirety of Tomic's character based on one isolated act in the heat of battle. OK but I have to say I disgree.

I choose to look at everything Tomic has done in this tournament, that incident but also the way he has carried himself generally. I have actually been surprised with how level headed and down to earth he seems, and franlky I have been impressed. I don't know the guy so have no real idea of how he is, but I would happily have a beer and a chat with him if I saw him at the pub.

The world of tennis is not great for breeding good blokes. Tomic has trained hard since he was about 6, and that does not lend itself to being a well rounded person. This is not to excuse him at all, but it does explain why so many child prodigies seem hard to deal with, and for that reason I will forgive him the occasional slip up. ALthough FFS I think this one is a bit of a beat up. Dolgopolov should have known to play the whistle, like in any sport. The point should have been replayed though.

But as I said overall I have been surprised how easy going he has seemed, and am cheering for him against Federer.

The point should have been replayed - yes, and Tomic should have said so (instead of immediately pretending that he hadn't said anything).

As I said - it's not a one-off for Tomic. This incident just confirms everyone's suspicions. It's not too late for the bloke, he can still become a decent guy. Maybe Pat Rafter could have a chat with him. There's a big difference between being the Australian Open winner and Australian of the Year. Have a read of Pat's profile.

http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/pages/page62.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.