• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bernard Tomic is a ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
complete fluffybunny in my opinion. All money, no class. If I met him on the rugby field I would sort him out proper.

Your opinion?

My opinion is when you say someone is a 'complete fluffybunny in my opinion' when you haven't even met them it speaks more for your character than it does for theirs, particularly when it is based on an incident that many other sportsmen would do. I don't like him, but I haven't seen him do anything that is worth such comment.

You must get really angry with a lot of people if that incident gets you so riled.

I also wonder if the forum rules have changed?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
As I said - it's not a one-off for Tomic. This incident just confirms everyone's suspicions. It's not too late for the bloke, he can still become a decent guy. Maybe Pat Rafter could have a chat with him. There's a big difference between being the Australian Open winner and Australian of the Year. Have a read of Pat's profile.

http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/pages/page62.asp

Have there been other incidents that I am not aware of? I know there was some stuff with his father, but that was a few years ago.

Frankly I think the Pat Rafter comparison is unfair. You are talking about a bloke who ended up being a legend at the end of his career, but it was not always that way. He was 19 once as well, and I very much doubt 19 year old Pat Rafter was the same as 35 year old Pat Rafter. Thus it is a bit much to expect 19 year old Tomic to be 35 year old Pat Rafter. I do agree he can be a very positive influence on him though and I hope he gets involved in mentoring. As Davis Cup Captain I am sure he already is.

Tomic is 19 and just starting his career. He will make mistakes, as all 19 year olds do. His will be very public and under intense scrutiny. This does not excuse them, but it does make me cut him a little more slack than I would an older bloke who had been on tour for years. The fact that he has carried himslef so well this tournament shows he has maturity beyond his years, and this shines through in his tactics and demeanor on court.

I think to judge him on a couple of minor teenage incidents as a 'complete fluffybunny' is way too harsh and I agree with Scotty in that regard.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Have there been other incidents that I am not aware of? I know there was some stuff with his father, but that was a few years ago.
It seems that you cannot be a child prodigy without an over the top parent.
I can still hear dad bitterly bagging Tennis Australia for not providing the desired amount of funding for overseas trips years ago.( they were getting plenty, but apparently not enough for dad)
In terms of the kid, i know the lleyton camp were flabergasted when they extended an invite for him to hit up with hewitt before a tournament (one of, if not the first senior tourn he played)a few years ago, the reply was thanks but no thanks.
The feeling was he had no respect for players who had achieved in the past.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Some of the stuff he and his 'crew' do is rude or 'fluffybunnyish'. I can see why people might not like him. It's always hard to tell with tennis players, most of them are great to talk to though. Their behavior on the tennis court isn't always a great guide to their real personality. Tennis is a weird game.

It's something I wouldn't worry much about, plenty of players are probably jerks - and plenty are nice people. That comes with being a millionaire in an entertainment industry.

One player I think has a good attitude is Thomas Berdych, he is doing pretty well so far in the Oz open as well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Some of the stuff he and his 'crew' do is rude or 'fluffybunnyish'. I can see why people might not like him. It's always hard to tell with tennis players, most of them are great to talk to though. Their behavior on the tennis court isn't always a great guide to their real personality. Tennis is a weird game.

It's something I wouldn't worry much about, plenty of players are probably jerks - and plenty are nice people. That comes with being a millionaire in an entertainment industry.

One player I think has a good attitude is Thomas Berdych, he is doing pretty well so far in the Oz open as well.
a good example being McEnroe - great commentator - IMO

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I quite like him, plays a great style of tennis that is so much more than a massive serve and booming forehand.

There have been some awesome rallies tonight, and Bernard seems pretty humble and appreciative of playing a legend. He's been schooled by Federer tonight, but has definitely improved for the experience. Good luck to the kid.

And that incident Scarfy posted, looks pretty harmless to me. If the opponent thought a challenge had been called, why try and hit a winner?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It's tennis, which is a fiercely individual sport, so you are not always going to get the same amount of sportsmanship you do in rugby.

I've talked to a couple of people who played on the junior circuit with him. They say much they same thing that many of you do - that he is sometimes a hard guy to like, due in part to his reserved character. He is a young bloke with a lot of money and a lot going for him, it is easy to poke holes in his personality but I'll wait a few years before judging him fully.

I still remember drinking at the caxton or on the train after reds games in 07,8,9 and regularly hearing all and sundry ripping into quade cooper. He is much more popular nowadays, no doubt due to his on field performances, but also the fact that he seems far more mature, humble and gracious off the field. Maybe in a few years we might feel the same way about bernie.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
My opinion is when you say someone is a 'complete fluffybunny in my opinion' when you haven't even met them it speaks more for your character than it does for theirs, particularly when it is based on an incident that many other sportsmen would do. I don't like him, but I haven't seen him do anything that is worth such comment.

You must get really angry with a lot of people if that incident gets you so riled.

I also wonder if the forum rules have changed?

A warning has been applied.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Hey Gagger, it's not my fault if your "fluffybunny" modifier is broken.

Scotty, the idea that I'm not allowed an opinion on a public person because I don't know them personally is also broken.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I didn't say you weren't allowed an opinion. You opinion was extreme though, and difficult to substantiate when you don't really know much about the person.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Anyone notice the footer to this page - "Users found this page by searching for:"

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
hahahaha, awesome! Also wondered why the main page has that but 'Mark Chisholm' is one of the main search terms.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
hahahaha, awesome! Also wondered why the main page has that but 'Mark Chisholm' is one of the main search terms.
I added it as a SEO tactic - idea is if one person searched for it then others will search for it. Give Google what it wants and Google will move us up the rankings for that term...

Status
Not open for further replies.