• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Big change to eligibility rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Kinda sounds like what we did back in 2008 with Matfield and Smit, only more official in that there is a technical definition to the rule.

You'll be opening your gates to overseas players in no time.

The professional era, eh.

Reactions: dru

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
@giteau_rugby: Massive news re. @QantasWallabies policy change..The ultimate honour to represent your country however form still must warrant selection

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Kinda sounds like what we did back in 2008 with Matfield and Smit, only more official in that there is a technical definition to the rule.

You'll be opening your gates to overseas players in no time.

The professional era, eh.
Because it's working so well for SA?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
This is a very shrewd move out of the ARU, I hope NZ and SA follow suit as it will make it a little less easy for the likes of Boudjellal, Wray, Craig and Lonzeretti to undermine the international game. It will also reward those NH teams who produce their own players rather than buy in foreigners. Could World rugby bring in this rule throughout the game? Probably unlikely but worth consideration.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
This is a very shrewd move out of the ARU, I hope NZ and SA follow suit as it will make it a little less easy for the likes of Boudjellal, Wray, Craig and Lonzeretti to undermine the international game. It will also reward those NH teams who produce their own players rather than buy in foreigners. Could World rugby bring in this rule throughout the game? Probably unlikely but worth consideration.

Bringing it in for all nations would do way too much damage to pacific and emerging nations, it can only be done individually by the nations.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There seems to be this little kicker in the fine print, or have I read it all wrong?

Under the revised Policy, players returning to Australia from overseas who make a two-year commitment to an Australian Super Rugby Club will also be eligible to represent the Qantas Wallabies immediately upon their return.
Bill Pulver added, “We believe having the option to select overseas-based players to represent the Qantas Wallabies, provided that they have made a commitment to return to Australian Rugby, will encourage the repatriation of Australians currently playing in foreign competitions and increase the pool of talent available to Australian Super Rugby teams and the Qantas Wallabies.”

Overseas based only become eligible when they have made a 2 year commitment to a Aust Super Rugby club. They can't stay overseas and be selected.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thought about it a bit and I think it's for Mitchell only.

The way the coach thinks (which is not the way I think) is that the available wingers include: Beale, Speight, Horne, Folau, O'Connor, Badger, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).
Surely that's enough cover?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mitchell struggled to get a start at the Tahs when Cheika took over...........

We have plenty of wingers and he's well past it...........

Giteau is the only player I could see benefiting from this for the RWC..........

And granted he finished with enough caps, we'll be able to play Kepu next year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just can't think of who else it's for, we really don't need Giteau that much. Mitchell has coincidentally 63 caps..

Would've made much more sense next year, why now.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Because it's a good idea and now is as good a time as any?

Also a response to the growing number of players heading offshore, especially at the top end of the talent pool.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good idea in what way? Who are we using it to select and strengthen the team? That's my point.

Next year it totally makes sense with guys like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Higginbotham, Kepu - this year it doesn't.

How is it a response to the exodus? If anything it'll only help the exodus!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I agree with Barbarian about timing, this shouldn't be looked at as a mere quick fix to the RWC (ie bringing Gits in). But more to soften the blow of the ongoing exodus in future years.

1. We're losing a wealth of talent next year, we can retain some of that within the Wallabies now thanks to this rule.

2. It provides incentive for players to stay around for those extra few years to make themselves eligible.

3. It makes returning to Australia from playing overseas a much more attractive prospect. Beforehand, players would've had to return a season early, join a super rugby team and go through the hard yards. Essentially what JOC (James O'Connor) is doing now for example. This might not be appealing to a player like Douglas, whereas now he can slot straight into the Wallabies team (form permitting), giving him one more reason to come home instead of staying overseas.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I just can't think of who else it's for, we really don't need Giteau that much. Mitchell has coincidentally 63 caps..

Would've made much more sense next year, why now.

I think its in preparation for next year. The announcement now certainly stops the panic from supporters over the departure of Cooper, Kepu, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Higgers, Genia and everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.