• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 2023 @ Dunedin 12:35PM Sat 5 Aug

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If we were good, which we're not, then jumping all over the place with different combos being tried might make some sense leading to the RWC.
Or... we could keep a guy at 7 (who kinda had the game I think Eddie wanted) and see if we can get the majority of the pack functioning better / more cohesively with who he has picked already, allowing for the necessity that our front row has to be re-jigged.
Sure, maybe Holloway swaps for Leota, but Holloway was good last year, was good in Super Rugby, so I don't see a really big reason to do it given the other changes.
As for the backs, I'd do as little as possible / necessary. Apart from maybe Lonergan?? Although the same principle applies as for Holloway but I'd lean towards White starting as McDermott's passing at times was just awful. Just tell Nic that less "fucking about at the base" should be the mantra.
RWCs we did well in generally had some consistency of selections running up to them.
Just my 2c.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If we were good, which we're not, then jumping all over the place with different combos being tried might make some sense leading to the RWC.
Or... we could keep a guy at 7 (who kinda had the game I think Eddie wanted) and see if we can get the majority of the pack functioning better / more cohesively with who he has picked already, allowing for the necessity that our front row has to be re-jigged.
Sure, maybe Holloway swaps for Leota, but Holloway was good last year, was good in Super Rugby, so I don't see a really big reason to do it given the other changes.
As for the backs, I'd do as little as possible / necessary. Apart from maybe Lonergan?? Although the same principle applies as for Holloway but I'd lean towards White starting as McDermott's passing at times was just awful. Just tell Nic that less "fucking about at the base" should be the mantra.
RWCs we did well in generally had some consistency of selections running up to them.
Just my 2c.
I agree with that approach in principle leading into a world cup, but you are working on the assumption that Eddie thinks he has is selections right. We will have a clearer picture of his thinking soon, he will roll out a team that he thinks is better than last week's, barring the THP issue.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well at least the benefit of a kiwi game is that the team gets named early. Should be announced around 8am tomorrow.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree with that approach in principle leading into a world cup, but you are working on the assumption that Eddie thinks he has is selections right. We will have a clearer picture of his thinking soon, he will roll out a team that he thinks is better than last week's, barring the THP issue.
I'm working on the assumption that Eddie hasn't got a fucking clue what the best team is...

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm working on the assumption that Eddie hasn't got a fucking clue what the best team is...
Yes, well that is the alternative, that he just says fuck it I'll stick with that. I don't think it would be an Eddie teamsheet without at least one head scratcher though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He missed 5(!) tackles, got no turn overs, no offloads etc. He passed the ball 4 times and ran the ball 5 times for 10m.

So, apart from being a tackle machine that missed every 7th, what did he do?

In Super Rugby, especially prior to his injury he was a very good ball runner with superb body height into contact. The game he got injured he was probably the Brumbies best ball-runner and this is a team with Valetini, Frost and Samu in it.

So there's huge potential there. But I actually agree with what you are saying, he hasn't done much at Test level and I personally just think it's a year too soon for him.

We really need a 2015 Hooper back, tackling low and hard, and running around like an energizer bunny. But I doubt that will happen. McReight is probably closer to being world-class.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'd love to see Lonergan come into the 9 spot and take over kicking duties. It would be good to take that pressure off Gordon who is already struggling with his kicking.

Tate off the bench seems such a no-brainer too with his added tempo and running game.

Plus, it's surely time to say goodbye to White. He was chosen for his game-management skills and decision making, which he clearly is not providing at the moment.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I will re-iterate my earlier comment, Tom Hooper is a good footballer, give him a run at 6, he doesn't fill the 7 role apart from making a lot of tackles.
The argument for a big 7 was to break tackles, make metres and have dominating tackles. He did none of those, just work hard and made lots of tackles, which is what all our smaller 7's can do, but with more speed, a better chance at a pilfer and better ball skills.
Exactly this. He doesn't offer anything "better" at 7 that McReight. He is a better lineout option and has some extra weight.

McReight offers more speed, dynamics, better tackler, more experience, more leadership, better pilferer, better attacker, more skillful and something which is often overlooked is that he is the best attacking support forward in Aus.

Hooper will be a great player. INTL 7 at this stage he is not.

This ibsession with size. Bit of a problem Eddie has always had actually.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I thought the forwards looked much better last game in loose play, up until the last 25 minutes, which was a shit show. The only one that looked "bad" was Arnold IMO.

Main faults were set piece and falling off late (fatigue).

IMO there isn't that much between all the various options so picking a younger player who can play physically and get a lot of work in is fine.

They need some continuity. I don't get dropping Samu, but they can't switch every game, barring a player imploding.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Exactly this. He doesn't offer anything "better" at 7 that McReight. He is a better lineout option and has some extra weight.

McReight offers more speed, dynamics, better tackler, more experience, more leadership, better pilferer, better attacker, more skillful and something which is often overlooked is that he is the best attacking support forward in Aus.

Hooper will be a great player. INTL 7 at this stage he is not.

This ibsession with size. Bit of a problem Eddie has always had actually.

Not typical, but could they sub in Hooper/McKnight at say 50-55 mins?

Front Row - replace (3)
Skelton can go 80, but should be subbed (4)
Frost - 80 IMO
Hooper for McReight/M.Hooper (5)
Valentini - 80
Holloway - 80

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Rubbish. Played Waugh + Smith, Played Underhill + Curry, coached Japan (not really any other options) but orientated a game plan around their lack of size
Fair points. I do recall him picking size over skill at the Reds. Waugh and Smith were both exceptional players at 7. As were Underhill and curry.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB named at midday-ish NZT but sounds like there could be up to 12 personnel & a positional (Jordan to 15) change to the run-on side with only Ardie & Lurch wearing the same no. as last week. Probable debuts for Samipeni Finau & Shaun Stevenson.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
AB named at midday-ish NZT but sounds like there could be up to 12 personnel & a positional (Jordan to 15) change to the run-on side with only Ardie & Lurch wearing the same no. as last week. Probable debuts for Samipeni Finau & Shaun Stevenson.
I hearing that too WOB, sounds risky, but certainly understandable. Wallabies will be happy if true. Mind you would put a lot of pressure on Wallabies to win.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I hearing that too WOB, sounds risky, but certainly understandable. Wallabies will be happy if true. Mind you would put a lot of pressure on Wallabies to win.

There’s absolutely no pressure on these wallabies.

They are paying $21 - also none of the country will be watching because of schoolboy and club rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Richie Arnold starting. What the fuck. Last chance?

McReight in the 7 I like. Hooper at 6 which is better.

Pone starting with Bell. Slipper and Zane on the bench. Still got Uelese….

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. Angus Bell (22 Tests)
2. David Porecki (13 Tests)
3. Pone Fa’amausili (4 Tests)
4. Nick Frost (11 Tests)
5. Richie Arnold (3 Tests)
6. Tom Hooper (2 Tests)
7. Fraser McReight (11 Tests)
8. Rob Valetini (33 Tests)
9. Tate McDermott (c) (24 Tests)