• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #2 - AUS v NZL, Eden Park, Auckland, August 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
(I am loving the fact that Shag spent a good deal of this week figuring out how the AB's were going to counter the Pooper...queue Cheika's masterstroke.

DON'T PLAY THE POOPER!!!

Similarly, loving the way Cheika has held his cards until AFTER the AB's side has been named. )
Jolly, Not sure if Shag would of spent too much time figuring out how to counter Pooper, it was pretty clear cut, just get whole pack to operate at brewakdown. Even naming team after the ABs, guarantee that neither Chaiks or Shag would change their teams because of who the other chose to name in his, I suspect both are pretty positive type coaches who know how and who they want to play. Or do you you think Cheika changed his team when he saw Vito was playing?? I doubt it, he already knew how he was wanting team to play, and would of run team accordingly all week. I also doubt whether either team is picked because of wet or dry weather.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
bugger me does this look like a U.N Counsel meeting to you? Its a fuckjin internet message baord, wft else are we going to argue about/pack a sook about/ruminate and germinate wild theories and conspiracies upon?

Don't make me send Hugh Jarse around to confiscate your self-awarded Prefects Badge. Again.

**FINAL WARNING**

Haha, funny how you've taken a lighthearted comment so seriously. I just find it funny that a number of posters seem to have worked out what is in Hansen's mind.

I'll hand in my prefects badge only if you hand in your fun-police one.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ So Ripping Yarns.

The Testing of Eric Olthwaite (S1E2).
"My mum once made the blackest black pudding I've ever seen ... even the white bits were black,"

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Pros:
  • Cooper/To'omua should be a good combo provided Quade doesn't let Eden Park get under his skin
  • Rampaging Speight could give us a runner to get over the gain line
Cons:
  • 2 lineout jumpers
  • Palu coming into a Bledisloe decider when he hasn't played for months
  • No pressure on the ruck in the starters, key to us winning Saturday
My thinking behind playing Skelton & Palu is that Cheik thought we didn't get enough go forward from the forwards in Sydney (we didn't). Miffed that Pocock isn't starting though, almost reminds me a few years back of when B du P was on the bench for John Smit despite being clearly the Boks best player.
Palu tore it up in the Shute shield game for The Marlins last weekend by all reports

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Introspection is good and all guys, but it's a good fucking Wallabies side.

Instead of looking in at us and working out why it will go wrong, have a look forward and you'll see chinks in the NZ side as well. When was the last time anyone said that?

The single biggest chink in the kiwi side IMHO is age. And the problem for the coach is that he can't hook them for probably their last test game wearing the black. They do have a problem.

BamBamRMH7

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep, I'd say unless White plays terribly or there's an injury, Genia's test career is over. Unfortunately for Genia his injury couldn't have come at a worse time. It's an easy decision for Cheika.

Your list only has 32 players on it.

So from that I'd add a prop and Hanson and cut Tomane, Higginbotham and Genia.

There is still some potential that McMahon could make the RWC squad as the third player who can play 7 but I think Mumm has surpassed him as the reserve 6 behind Fardy and he'll miss out on that basis.

Why would you cut Genia when he only has to play 2 more games to be eligible for Wallabies next year when he plays for Stade Francais, it makes no sense. Also, at the end of this year White leaves to Montpellier on a 3 year contract. So does Cheika look for the long term option or the short term option? Fair enough, if White plays the house down on Saturday then he has earned the #9, but if has a shocker or average performance I'd put him below Genia and Phipps in the ranking order.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah, it's a worry. His cameo last week was notable to me for his slow loopy passes and rapid cramping. Risky.

Don't expect the cramping to be a problem unless he has to come off the bench very early. He will be coming on fresh.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I reckon the plan is for Pocock and Mumm to go on for Palu and Skelton relatively early and Douglas is there for injury cover after that..and/or to relieve Horwill of duties in the last 10 or so.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
In 2013 quade used all that hatred and had great game over in NZL and worked well with To'omua.
I'm sure Cheika has installed that confidence in him to do it again.

I have this feeling that the Wallabies will put a good number on the all blacks.
And Hensens time of Babysitting a great team thanks to sir Graham's is over and he will have to start coaching leading into the World Cup...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why would you cut Genia when he only has to play 2 more games to be eligible for Wallabies next year when he plays for Stade Francais, it makes no sense. Also, at the end of this year White leaves to Montpellier on a 3 year contract. So does Cheika look for the long term option or the short term option? Fair enough, if White plays the house down on Saturday then he has earned the #9, but if has a shocker or average performance I'd put him below Genia and Phipps in the ranking order.

I'm fairly convinced that Cheika isn't going to take three halfbacks to the RWC and Genia would have seemed to have moved to third in the pecking order following a poor game in the first test and then out through injury.

Who knows how his recovery is going?

Unless White has an absolute shocker or Giteau has to play 20+ minutes at halfback and that is a disaster I think that Cheika will only take two halfbacks to the RWC and one of them will be Phipps.

T

Train Without a Station

Why would you take Genia on the basis of qualifying him, if you didn't think he was one of your top 2 halfbacks?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ooooh I dunno about that team, but Cheika has shown himself to be an astute coach over time so I guess I'll trust his judgement. That said, I think the big pack in wet conditions probably makes sense. Night games at Eden Park are known for being a bit sloppy and smashing blokes in contact has some logic in that situation. We also have some mobile options off the bench late in the game, so most bases are covered.

In the backs I'm glad to see Cooper getting a crack. He'll either tear it up and be our starting 10 come the RWC or have a mare and maybe not even make the squad. Henry will be the same I think.

The lack of half back cover worries me though.

BamBamRMH7

Bob McCowan (2)
Why would you take Genia on the basis of qualifying him, if you didn't think he was one of your top 2 halfbacks?

Because nevertheless Cheika will lose a scrumhalf next year. He could either grant Genia 2 more appearances and that would allow him to play for Wallabies next year or cut Genia and lose both White and Genia next year, ultimately leaving Phipps as the only scrumhalf in Australia... Scary thoughts...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Because nevertheless Cheika will lose a scrumhalf next year. He could either grant Genia 2 more appearances and that would allow him to play for Wallabies next year or cut Genia and lose both White and Genia next year, ultimately leaving Phipps as the only scrumhalf in Australia. Scary thoughts.

So you'd suggest Genia should be picked in the RWC squad regardless just so he is an option to select next year?

T

Train Without a Station

Because nevertheless Cheika will lose a scrumhalf next year. He could either grant Genia 2 more appearances and that would allow him to play for Wallabies next year or cut Genia and lose both White and Genia next year, ultimately leaving Phipps as the only scrumhalf in Australia. Scary thoughts.

Well no, I'm pretty sure there will be 9 scrum halfs other than Phipps playing in Australia every week.

Regardless of next year, why would Cheika be so concerned about losing a player that's not in his top 2 that he would use a limited RWC on Genia?

Status
Not open for further replies.