• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2. Eden Park, 24th Sept 7.05pm NZT. 5.05 pm AEST, 3.05 WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK fackers. I finally watched the game, and quite frankly I don't know what some of you are pissing and moaning about

First half thoughts in no particular order:

Stupid yellow card Holloway after splitting them open and leaving Retallick in the dust
Stupid yellow card Porecki but what the fuck is wrong with our maul defence? We stopped the Boks after all.
Why no warning to Whitelock or YC for Taylor when Samu got within a few metres of the line? We were hot on attack.
Fucking hell Marika. Left foot in please.
Fire Wright into the sun. Fucking useless. More like Wrong.
Defensive line suffered with Foketi going off injured.
Akira Ioane is a passenger on defence.

Other than that, we're not actually that far away. We went a couple too many pick n gos when the backline should be given a shot.

Second half thoughts:

No real issue with the "own try". Can't really see what the fuss is about. If Bell was a bit quicker he could have just knocked the ball out instead of trying to grab it.
Physicality in this game is pretty good from both sides.
Brace is right on the money with no straight throws but doesn't carry that through to scrums.
EdG maybe a touch lucky with the shot in Ikitau - he was eyes down from about 5 metres away. Different ref or TMO might see that differently.
The crying action was fucking funny tho. I assume it was directed at White.
Who needs to shut the fuck up, really.
Wallaby lineout is functioning reasonably well. ABs don't appear to be marking up on Holloway much, so easy ball.
Wallaby scrum was pretty solid - Lomax might have been smashing it in the first half with Valetini at lock when Holloway had his YC, but it wasn't as clear-cut with our full complement.
Bell's height was all wrong for his first few scrums. Once he sorted himself out it stabilised.
Foley having a few shockers on the decision-making front.
Petaia is not the hype that QLDers built him up to be.
Tom Wright is still shit.
OK so we're living in a universe where the TMO can pick up a neck roll by Porecki in the first couple of minutes but a very definite head clash for Reece on Hodge isn't even worth a mention. Cool, cool... Must have been taking a piss.
Some flaky decision making on the bouncing ball by the Wobs.
AB maul most of the difference in the game IMHO - and if your discipline gives a dominant opposing maul field position, it is going to be a long night.
I am shocked that last try to Petaia wasn't called for a forward pass.

Other than that I don't know what the doomsayers are on about. The score flatters the ABs to a degree and there was nothing wrong with our physicality. Scrum wasn't great but we fixed that.

If Holloway doesn't lift Papali'i...
If Marika's foot is not in touch...
If Foketi doesn't get injured...

Yeah that's grasping a bit, but I'm not prepared to quit just yet.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
467 replays for the Whitlock (was it Whitelock?) grounding and 0 for Harry Wilson. Sevu Reece etc etc

Hitting stratospheric levels of inconsistency and amateurism.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wallabies v All Blacks (2 Tests)

Jake Gordon at No.9 = NZ 13-58

Nic White at No.9 = OZ 31-21

Same old problem with Australian rugby, different franchises play different styles of rugby. With 10 Brumbies in the team, the upbeat fast paced tempo suits them with a Brumby No.9 dictating pace n speed of play. Put a Waratah at 9 and as the Waratahs play slow 10 man rugby with slow play and kicking a priority with box kicks etc. These differing styles of play even mean different fitness levels, as some as used to playing at faster pace.

All kiwi franchises are owned by All Blacks, they dictate the style of play and even chose coaches to make that happen. All Kiwi teams thus play very similar tempo games and tactics. Australian teams all play differently thus why we can’t play well together.
All well and good, but those were not the "styles" each of the Aus teams mentioned played in Super Rugby this year, really. So, remains a theory of yours.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Waratahs will be the best franchise next year. Just saying. Next seasons Super Rugby form will see new selections and possibilities for World Cup side. We aren’t washed up yet.
Current injury status might say otherwise.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wallabies v All Blacks (2 Tests)

Jake Gordon at No.9 = NZ 13-58

Nic White at No.9 = OZ 31-21

Same old problem with Australian rugby, different franchises play different styles of rugby. With 10 Brumbies in the team, the upbeat fast paced tempo suits them with a Brumby No.9 dictating pace n speed of play. Put a Waratah at 9 and as the Waratahs play slow 10 man rugby with slow play and kicking a priority with box kicks etc. These differing styles of play even mean different fitness levels, as some as used to playing at faster pace.

All kiwi franchises are owned by All Blacks, they dictate the style of play and even chose coaches to make that happen. All Kiwi teams thus play very similar tempo games and tactics. Australian teams all play differently thus why we can’t play well together.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
What are you talking about? The tour is organised way ahead. There are no mid week games for this years EOYT.
Funny I thought we were talking in hypotheticals, like the idea of the Wallabies looking forward to 2027 instead of the next test match.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
OK fackers. I finally watched the game, and quite frankly I don't know what some of you are pissing and moaning about

First half thoughts in no particular order:

Stupid yellow card Holloway after splitting them open and leaving Retallick in the dust
Stupid yellow card Porecki but what the fuck is wrong with our maul defence? We stopped the Boks after all.
Why no warning to Whitelock or YC for Taylor when Samu got within a few metres of the line? We were hot on attack.
Fucking hell Marika. Left foot in please.
Fire Wright into the sun. Fucking useless. More like Wrong.
Defensive line suffered with Foketi going off injured.
Akira Ioane is a passenger on defence.

Other than that, we're not actually that far away. We went a couple too many pick n gos when the backline should be given a shot.

Second half thoughts:

No real issue with the "own try". Can't really see what the fuss is about. If Bell was a bit quicker he could have just knocked the ball out instead of trying to grab it.
Physicality in this game is pretty good from both sides.
Brace is right on the money with no straight throws but doesn't carry that through to scrums.
EdG maybe a touch lucky with the shot in Ikitau - he was eyes down from about 5 metres away. Different ref or TMO might see that differently.
The crying action was fucking funny tho. I assume it was directed at White.
Who needs to shut the fuck up, really.
Wallaby lineout is functioning reasonably well. ABs don't appear to be marking up on Holloway much, so easy ball.
Wallaby scrum was pretty solid - Lomax might have been smashing it in the first half with Valetini at lock when Holloway had his YC, but it wasn't as clear-cut with our full complement.
Bell's height was all wrong for his first few scrums. Once he sorted himself out it stabilised.
Foley having a few shockers on the decision-making front.
Petaia is not the hype that QLDers built him up to be.
Tom Wright is still shit.
OK so we're living in a universe where the TMO can pick up a neck roll by Porecki in the first couple of minutes but a very definite head clash for Reece on Hodge isn't even worth a mention. Cool, cool... Must have been taking a piss.
Some flaky decision making on the bouncing ball by the Wobs.
AB maul most of the difference in the game IMHO - and if your discipline gives a dominant opposing maul field position, it is going to be a long night.
I am shocked that last try to Petaia wasn't called for a forward pass.

Other than that I don't know what the doomsayers are on about. The score flatters the ABs to a degree and there was nothing wrong with our physicality. Scrum wasn't great but we fixed that.

If Holloway doesn't lift Papali'i...
If Marika's foot is not in touch...
If Foketi doesn't get injured...

Yeah that's grasping a bit, but I'm not prepared to quit just yet.
Am I allowed to say, good stuff pfitzy, a bit of positivity, I know it was a reasonable hiding, but as I said earlier in thread, I not sure Wallabies are bad as some make out. I was real happy with Abs etc, and think it was a fair scoreline, just it's not that hard to get a scoreline against you like that if you off maybe 4-5%.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
467 replays for the Whitlock (was it Whitelock?) grounding and 0 for Harry Wilson. Sevu Reece etc etc

Hitting stratospheric levels of inconsistency and amateurism.
Genuine question, should there need to be replays if refs is sure? I not saying either was right or wrong, but if ref clearly sees something I don't want game held up. And I also think TMO checks them all anyway as a matter of course.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I also wonder if reaction to last weeks test didn't also help ABs? If I was a coach , think I would make sure players read as many comments from Wallabie's camp on 'the we was robbed"front, and just let them stew on it a bit. I almost has impresion at time maybe ABs were making a statement, could well be wrong, but sometimes I not sure it helps your team by saying things like we should of won etc etc. I said it after any team does it whether it Wallabies, All Blacks , etc. It's one things for fans to do it on rugby threads , but it's handy fire up if team does it I think.

;) I could be wrong, just what I would do as a coach if I wanted to give my players an edge.:rolleyes:

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Overall, yes its soccer but for high school-age boys it's basketball & has been for over five years now. Sure, some of those ballers are also playing rugby & other sports but schoolboy rugby is in dire straits in many parts of the country, it's just not the dominant sport it once was & I think that's part of the reason so many top-flight schools are bringing in so many scholarship boys from PI. Girls rugby OTOH is thriving & I believe there are now schools where more girls play rugby than soccer (but still not as many as play netball).
Rugby isn't all that healthy at the moment in NZ. Player numbers are dropping. Working parents can't get their kids to games. I spent a good part of saturday morning this year collecting a car full of kids to take them to their game or they would no be playing. Kids are working weekends. Some just want the weekends to themselves. Basketball is really taking off because they can train at lunchtime at school, have a game thursday or friday night and are done. I have been coaching schoolboy rugby since 1996, currently I am rugby administrator at my school in Southland. The numbers are of concern.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think you hit the nail on the head. For all the reasons you state I thought Foketi would also have issues fitting in, but he seemed to go pretty well and pop up at the end of movements all of the time. The Wallabies play is a blended hot mess of Brumbies and Waratahs with a little Reds thrown in.
Personally I think they should be playing the Brumbies brand of footy, which has been so successful for them and is suited to test rugby. Set piece forwards oriented game with some speed out wide and decent kicking. If we are not laden with crazy amounts of talent then play a simple game. Kellaway, Philip, McReight, Kerevi, Koriebete etc can all play that game effectively. Whitey needs to be at 9.

I don't think painting a representative side with a brush that conforms to a certain team is necessarily the way to go.

If we had our 'full strength' side available - the team would be run by Quade and have Kerevi as our biggest attacking weapon in the backs. I
don't think either of them conform to any style of play, especially Quade.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Genuine question, should there need to be replays if refs is sure? I not saying either was right or wrong, but if ref clearly sees something I don't want game held up. And I also think TMO checks them all anyway as a matter of course.

I want to agree with you because the less stoppages for the obvious the better. It serves no ones interests to watch multiple replays of the same thing. My concern, however, is situations like the Slipper tackle on Retallick. The Ref had his hand in his pocket before the replay even came on the screen so he was confident he'd seen everything, but he hadn't.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Waratahs will be the best franchise next year. Just saying. Next seasons Super Rugby form will see new selections and possibilities for World Cup side. We aren’t washed up yet.
Brumbies will again have the strongest squad but Tahs will be best coached. Should be an interesting battle for top Aussie side.

Status
Not open for further replies.