• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2. Eden Park, 24th Sept 7.05pm NZT. 5.05 pm AEST, 3.05 WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
All props are available which is great. Definitely our strongest area at the moment when we will leave out Pone & Sio. I expect 1. Slipper 3. Ala'alatoa 17. Bell 18 Tupou

Pretty exciting when arguably our best two props are on the bench. Would love to see a combo of Philip/Neville/Frost too in the engine room which should give us a scrum edge.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't understand some of you guys calling for Gleeson (20 years old) to start against the all blacks, yet some of you also claim that our young 5/8ths (21-24) are too young to play.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Holloway earned his start, had a great Super season, but I don't think he's made the step up to test level. I would like to see Neville and Phillip start in the row, with Frost on the bench and Wilson at 6. I would also have McReight as the backrow cover. If we lose Wilson or Valetini early, we can either bring on McReight and move Samu to the vacant spot, or bring on Frost at 6.
I would also start the same 9, 10 and 12 as last week, but would have Lolesio on the bench in place of Petaia.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wouldn't be against giving Gordon another start, but his game management was reasonably poor on Thursday and it was a marked improvement when White came onto the field...
White is probably better to help weather an early Eden Park storm. Gordon has good pace and gets to the breakdown quicker (based on live watching), but he did spray it a bit and it took a bit for him and Foley to get humming.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't understand some of you guys calling for Gleeson (20 years old) to start against the all blacks, yet some of you also claim that our young 5/8ths (21-24) are too young to play.
Not really the same, the halves get put under pressure and having to make clear important decisions. Gleeson can just play.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
All props are available which is great. Definitely our strongest area at the moment when we will leave out Pone & Sio. I expect 1. Slipper 3. Ala'alatoa 17. Bell 18 Tupou

Pretty exciting when arguably our best two props are on the bench. Would love to see a combo of Philip/Neville/Frost too in the engine room which should give us a scrum edge.
I hope they don’t pick Tupou. On top of the fact he’s a risk to injure himself warming up, his poor attitude this season is not needed in the team right now

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I hope they don’t pick Tupou. his poor attitude this season is not needed in the team right now
2d3505f1-f45c-467b-bd11-b41d9baae1d3_text.gif

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Slipper/Bell, Porecki, Allan, Neville, Philip, Samu, McReight, Valetini, Gordon, Foley, Marika, Lalakai, Len, Vuinvalu, Kellaway

Bell/Sio, Pollard, Taniela, Holloway, Wilson, White, Lolesio, Hodge

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not really the same, the halves get put under pressure and having to make clear important decisions. Gleeson can just play.
Have to disagree Qwerty, They are all players and a 5/8, although more important in the chess game of rugby, is still only a player and what skills and temperament they can bring is the only matter at hand, not their age. Rennie has proven by bringing in older players due to their experience, he has left us unsure of what young talent we have for the future 5/8 apart from Lolesio.
Rennie is looking for surety in a storm at sea, there is none.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So is Neville actually fit and available?
I question his fitness to come back to a Eden Park test against the ABs.
Awesome if he is 100% and ready to go.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would like to see Harry Wilson come in at 6 for Rob Leota. I know I'm out of step with the majority, but I reckon playing at 8 did not suit his skills and abilities, and that has seen him drop down the priority lists for Wallaby selection. In any case, right now there is no way he or anybody else will displace Rob Valetini from the 8 spot. Wilson, Samu and Valetini is a backrow made in my dreams, and one I've been advocating since before Michael Hooper withdrew.

On the other hand, I just don't see the value of playing Tupou in his present form. He is a potential penalty magnet at scrum time with NH referees and his form in open play has just about completely disappeared. Right now, I'd like to see them persevere with Pone and give him some valuable experience and learnings before the RWC comes around next year.

Is Cadeyrn Neville fit? If so, Neville, Philip and Frost should be the three locks. McReight probably needs to be retained on the bench, so it might mean Holloway misses out this test. Last weekend, Rennie actually kept Holloway on while replacing Philip, but I reckon that was an error.

In the backs, I think Nic White returns and I can see a lot of upside giving Vunivalu a start in this test. No matter what else, in the interests of our RWC challenge Noah must be on the bench or starting every test from now on to be as ready as possible for the Cup. Our best centre pairing is Foketi with Ikitau. No change needed there, nor at 15, and Marika only gets a rest if he is carrying some niggles which I suspect he is at the moment.

Just have to believe they can string together a couple of decent performances. Can't handle another 40 - 50 point shellacking.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Pretty much on board with you there BR, with the only change I would probably start Gordon at 9 with White on the bench. I would also consider bringing Bell onto the bench. Sio has done absolutely nothing wrong, I am just inclined to think Bell's stronger running game might be a positive late in the match.
In Rennie's defence, I think Philip looked absolutely shot by the time he came off, and had started to fall off a few tackles. I think that was why he was replaced rather then Holloway, as opposed to a tactical move.

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
No word on Swain? If he is free to play he should start with Philip. That has been our best combo this year. Neville or Frost on the pine with Holloway at 6 I reckon. McReight was great off the bench but has also been good starting.
White to start for sure with Tate on the bench.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cane reportedly took very little part in training & AC Ryan was cagey about his chances of playing on Saturday at the post-training media session.

Ryan also described ScoBar as AB best forward this year which suggests he'll get another run at six, unless of course they rest SamW.

Status
Not open for further replies.