• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Saturday 25th August 2018 - Eden Park, Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Let's see how we go against the boks. That's when we will see where we are at as a team. All blacks are just 3 steps above

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Mate, we have series losses to England (3-nil, no less) and Ireland AT HOME in the last two years. When you look at how we capitulate against the ABs, we don't need any more non AB reference points to know that the setup sucks, irrespective of how much progress Cheika, Hooper and Fox Sports tell us we are making.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Set pieces were good. Pocock was the best backrower on the field. We had some go forward in tight this week.
Just got shredded in counter attack and awful defence. Schoolboy defensive misreads. Not good enough.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Do you believe we will ever win the Bledisloe or a RWC with Foley? He ain't the answer mate - move him on
and then what? I wrote earlier that our players don't support the ball carrier and shovel the ball endlessly, never drawing and passing. Even with pop gun gone we still can't attack. Is it Larkham or Burne?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Do you believe we will ever win the Bledisloe or a RWC with Foley? He ain't the answer mate - move him on

I think we'll never win a Bledislode or RWC if we concede a try every time we concede a turnover. Foley was no more responsible for losing that game than anyone else on the field. So easy to say "oh we need a new 10," well who's it going to be? To'omua? He's a 12, you're off your chops if you think he adds anything more in attack than Foley.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
and then what? I wrote earlier that our players don't support the ball carrier and shovel the ball endlessly, never drawing and passing. Even with pop gun gone we still can't attack. Is it Larkham or Burne?

I reckon our attack would look better with Barrett at 10. We need to move Foley on and start the possibily long search for our Barrett

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The usual suspect out gunning for Foley.

Have a look at the structures of the attack. There is absolutely nothing there, players running to allow lateral passing or a pass to a "hit" up runner for the recycle. It was old in 2002 at the end of the Macqueen era. I don't rate Foley a great 10, he surely is the best in Australia (in Pro ranks), but it is nearly impossible to make any real assessment of the attacking ability of players under the absolutely shite attack plan they have.

Defensively, I would single out Beale as an absolute waste of space. For every tackle he makes he falls off two or is ineffectual. For the few advantages he brings and the occasional blinder of a game he has, it just doesn't balance.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The ABs are actually a pretty dirty side and have been for along time. They have three offenders in the starting side in Owen Franks (eye gouger), Same Cane and Joe Moody. I would actually like to say to Cane - maybe you know slightly how a French winger feels scumbag.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
The usual suspect out gunning for Foley.

Have a look at the structures of the attack. There is absolutely nothing there, players running to allow lateral passing or a pass to a "hit" up runner for the recycle. It was old in 2002 at the end of the Macqueen era. I don't rate Foley a great 10, he surely is the best in Australia (in Pro ranks), but it is nearly impossible to make any real assessment of the attacking ability of players under the absolutely shite attack plan they have.

Defensively, I would single out Beale as an absolute waste of space. For every tackle he makes he falls off two or is ineffectual. For the few advantages he brings and the occasional blinder of a game he has, it just doesn't balance.
Beales defence is not at the level of a professional rugby player.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Simply the AB’s and NZ rugby in general are just better. The players are more skillful, both as individuals and as a collective, they may be fitter, i dont know; they all have much better rugby brains than their oz counterparts and they are obviously coached to a much higher level. Their systems in both offence and defence work better and are executed better, they rarely choose the wrong option and rarer still fail in the execution of the option taken with the necessary skill. The wallabies tried hard ad i think they always do, just poorly coached and set up in my opinion. We have cattle that arent as good as the AB’s snd a coaching set up that is not even capable of getting the best out of what weve got. Cant see any change till after RWC and not much prospect then either.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Who gives a shit about attack? We need to build a defense. That is priority number one. We will never score 41 points against these guys - we have literally never scored more than 35, and we lost that too.

Everyone thinks the glory years (98-02) were built on attack but that's bullshit. We gave up 16 points a match in that period.

We scored 30 a match in that period. In the last 4 years, we've scored 26 a match. So fewer, but still plenty more than 16. Problem is, we have leaked 25 a match.

You don't need a razzle dazzle 10-12 pairing to win test footy. You NEED to tackle, kick, and not drop the ball. The simple things.

Why is it that our players can only kick down the oppo throats, but their players frequently find space? Has Chieka not mentioned this, or are the players (Foley, Beale usually) not capable?

To be clear, I don't think replacing Foley is necessarily the answer. I do think Beale is not up to it anymore, though.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Thought Shiggins went well. Just went out and played his usual game. That being, noticing every single infraction by the other team but never when his team does it (NECK ROLLS. BARNES DOESTN GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THEM. FOR EITHER SIDE)
On the bright side for Aus, DHP looked more dangerous running it back than the much vaunted JBarrett, iHomo.
On the bright side for mankind, BBarret has tonight taken the drums beating for Mounga, dismantled them, burnt them with fire, and buried them at subterranean level under Lancaster Park.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Christ, why has Foley been the cause of the 40 points against us? If we want to fix the problem we need to go further than this bullshit singling out one player. Maybe think about a general lack of skills across all Australian teams.

You're right UTG. Let's start with the defense. If a player can't routinely tackle his opposite number then shift him on. That's got rid of Foley, Beale and Koroibete. Then get a defense coach who understands defensive structures and can organise the backline to make sure that line breaks are much harder to come by.

Next, get rid of the Pooper. Pocock is the equal of any loose forward going around in world rugby, but has to pl;ay second fiddle in his preferred position to a coach's favourite. After that, toss out any other forward who consistently goes to ground or goes backwards as soon as confronted by an opposition player. That takes care of Simmons and Hanigan.

Now we're getting places. Last but not least, get a new head coach who might have a few ideas about the way a game of rugby can be won.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Simply the AB’s and NZ rugby in general are just better. The players are more skillful, both as individuals and as a collective, they may be fitter, i dont know; they all have much better rugby brains than their oz counterparts and they are obviously coached to a much higher level. Their systems in both offence and defence work better and are executed better, they rarely choose the wrong option and rarer still fail in the execution of the option taken with the necessary skill. The wallabies tried hard ad i think they always do, just poorly coached and set up in my opinion. We have cattle that arent as good as the AB’s snd a coaching set up that is not even capable of getting the best out of what weve got. Cant see any change till after RWC and not much prospect then either.

The real issue for me is that we have so many players that are talented at one aspect of the game but are completely devoid of skills in other parts of the game. When Quade and Kurtley were coming through the ranks they were never taken aside and told to work on their defence, Folau was never taught to pass properly. The real miracle about Tupou is that he was actually a poor scrummager when he was first on the scene but it was identified and someone taught him how to scrummage properly (and obviously he worked hard on it too).

Status
Not open for further replies.