• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The more I think about it, the more I am shitted off by Poite.
No. Not because we lost - the ABs were far and away the much better team, so no issues at all. We lost that just fine.
Mainly because he just bottled it. Franks on Douglas - I mean FFS, if you tell a player to stop something, then they escalate it, do something the fuck about it you ineffectual goose. Basically only talking to Wallaby players with every bit of niggle. Refusing to talk to Moore then Hooper when he quite happily stood and listened to half the fucking AB pack bend his ear relentlessly about everything, and that's before you even add A Smith. The team captain has a right to speak to the ref. No-one else does. Fine, maybe Moore got under his skin, but he never once told Kieran Read to shut up or go away, and he was yapping all game (as a captain probably should). He never once told Read to shut his other players up. Not fucking once. And when Moore was replaced, he rebuffed Hooper immediately. It's not like Hooper had been badgering him all game.
It's just not acceptable.
World Rugby should send him back to the minors, as they say in baseball. Just not up to scratch. A fucking woeful display which did nothing to add to the game. He detracted all night.
Rant over.

K

KAOPointman

For mine, based on that performance its time to burn bridges and make the hard calls. Both coaching and player wise.

There are guys that have been in the team for too long and whilst they might be good enough to take us to number 2 in the world, they are never going to improve enough to take us the extra step to number 1. And that is surley our goal. Moore, Skelton, Mumm, Simmons, Genia, Cooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), TPN, To'omua its time to call it a day.

Time to take the pain and go through a period of tough rebuilding rather than the constant recycling of players. The lack of so called reliable and proven backups should not be an excuse to maintain the status quo for guys that have proven they aren't up to the job year after year.

The current incumbents have too much physical and psychological baggage infecting their mindset to turn things around against the AB's. Id rather see a bunch of unproven hard chargers come in and give their all, unencumbered by a long history of defeat against the only team that matters in world rugby.

Cheika has proven he has no ability to adapt and make the adjustments required to progress. Too set in his ways and lacking the ability to think on the fly. Its pretty much his way or the highway.

For mine, the Coleman yellow card was one of the highlights of the game because whilst it was marginally late he had the right mindset in that he was going to make the guy earn it...think again next time.

Sorry to say I have no confidence based on those games that we have any chance against the Boks or the Pumas and as an Australian that makes me farken sad!
Couldn't disagree more.....that's extremely erratic and would instantly drop Aus rugby outside the top ten in the world and instantly dry up sponsors, fans and interest.....killing the sport instantly.
They know what they're doing.....we compete well against every other country in the world. WC finalist remember????
It's just the ABs, who every other team in the world struggles with aswell.
Be interested where these wonderfull knew world beaters are coming from tho?? The men's swim team??.....maybe the sevens team?......or women's volleyball perhaps ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For mine, based on that performance its time to burn bridges and make the hard calls. Both coaching and player wise.

There are guys that have been in the team for too long and whilst they might be good enough to take us to number 2 in the world, they are never going to improve enough to take us the extra step to number 1. And that is surley our goal. Moore, Skelton, Mumm, Simmons, Genia, Cooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), TPN, To'omua its time to call it a day.

Time to take the pain and go through a period of tough rebuilding rather than the constant recycling of players. The lack of so called reliable and proven backups should not be an excuse to maintain the status quo for guys that have proven they aren't up to the job year after year.

The current incumbents have too much physical and psychological baggage infecting their mindset to turn things around against the AB's. Id rather see a bunch of unproven hard chargers come in and give their all, unencumbered by a long history of defeat against the only team that matters in world rugby.

Cheika has proven he has no ability to adapt and make the adjustments required to progress. Too set in his ways and lacking the ability to think on the fly. Its pretty much his way or the highway.

For mine, the Coleman yellow card was one of the highlights of the game because whilst it was marginally late he had the right mindset in that he was going to make the guy earn it...think again next time.

Sorry to say I have no confidence based on those games that we have any chance against the Boks or the Pumas and as an Australian that makes me farken sad!
Da fuq? Mumm, Genia, Cooper and TPN all played just fine tonight. Simmons and To'omua have plenty to offer - one off form, one injured.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Initial and (not so) brief impressions from the game:
  • Sio's lost a bit of effectiveness around the park and isn't exactly setting the world on fire at scrumtime; wouldn't mind seeing Slipper into the starting team as I view him as a more dynamic player in general play. He's also an older head and that experience could be useful.
  • Moore. Where to start? I hate kicking a man when he's down but Jesus Christ the guys performance has been putrid. Add to that the fact that he treats referees like a petulant child and has the interpersonal skills of Rain Man he shouldn't be in the starting team let alone fucking captain. Drop him to the bench or fuck him off completely. Seriously. Allowing him to continue to start will just destroys the blokes confidence. He looked like he was going to cry towards the end of the game.
  • I really liked the contributions of Coleman (aside from the stupid late hit - what a fucking brainfart) and I thought that both he and Douglas had a strong work-rate and physicality in general play. Finally some Aussie locks with a drop of 'hardman'. Lets see if they can keep it up. Also, Dean Mumm has surprised me two weeks in a row so he’s destined for a shocker next week. Very energetic around the park and actually added some starch to the pack (not sure how he does it with his 72kg frame. He looks like some kid whose found his Dad’s old jersey and wondered out onto the pitch. Seriously ARU, get him one that fits).
  • Fardy had a couple of token brainfarts but otherwise solid. Again, I'm not sold on the Pooper and dare I say it (I'll be roasted alive) I think Pocock's effectiveness at the breakdown isn't what it used to be. Why? I don't know. Perhaps its the way the laws are interpreted, perhaps its playing behind a well-beaten pack. That being said, the number 8s in Australia are utterly uninspiring and I think Hooper/Pocock is infinitely better than any permutation of Pocock/McCalman/whoever.
  • Individually, Hooper played well. Always an annoyance. I just wish he'd keep his fucking head down in scrums.
  • Genia played well. Genuinely well. Not best-of-a-bad-bunch well. Good to have you back Willy. Keep it up.
  • I think at times the 10-12 axis of Cooper / Foley looked good and they both started well with Foley's performance petering out towards the end of the game. It was relieving to have Quade’s boot back in the side.
  • Kerevi wasn’t as bad as everyones been suggesting. Keep him for another week.
  • DHP, what the fuck happened? He looked so promising at stages in the England series and now he’s a human sieve in defence. I’m lost as to what’s happened there.
  • Folau doesn’t need a mention. He played his game and did it well. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was unfortunate as I think he played well last game.
  • Hodgey Hodgey Hodgey. The boy can kick and unlike most of our young, promising players he can actually tackle as well! Start him at 11 next week (in place of DHP) and anytime theres a penalty within 60 get him to put boot to ball. Keep that scoreboard ticking over.
  • After all of that, my team for next week: Slipper, TPN, Kepu, Coleman, Douglas, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, Genia, Cooper, Hodge, To'omua, Kerevi, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (if not concussed), Folau.
  • Bench of: Sio, Hanson, Ala'alatoa, Mumm, McMahon (or McCalman), Phipps, Foley, DHP.
  • The set piece? Has to be improved. Utterly ridiculous. You can’t compete in a game where you forfeit the puck every time theres a scrum or a line out. Any team playing us can simply kick to the corner and get the ball back. Needs to be improved (wtf do they do at training?)
  • What the fuck is the game plan? It seems like Australia can only focus on one thing at a time. During the RWC? Set piece. We had a pretty good scrum and a functioning lineout. That went to shit didn’t it? During the England series? Running rugby. “Run from everywhere on the park. 2011 Quade cross-field kicks in your own goal area, Wallabies ‘running rugby’ and all”. During this series? The emphasis on adding kicking to the game plan has transformed our game plan into kicking. We’ve stringed together about 6 phases in the last two games. Atleast the defence was better tonight, but as morale fell throughout the game so did the commitment to defence. It has to improve.
  • The referees. The oft-glossed over topic because simply mentioning it can get you labelled a sore loser, but Micheal won’t shy away from this one. Over the last 12-24 months, the Wallabies have become international referee’s public enemy. We are absolutely ref’d off the park week in week out, and all this ‘tough’ pushing and shoving we’ve been doing doesn’t help, especially when the captain’s involved and especially when he thinks shouting at people is an effective method of communication (imagine being married to Stephen Moore). The team and coaching staff need to address this: we need a new captain and we need to sit down with World Rugby to iron out how we can play without amounting a ridiculous penalty count.
  • Now to address the other team it really does seem that referees are hesitant to properly officiate the All Blacks. Why? Who knows? Perhaps its because as hands down the best team in the world, they are expected to win and a call that results in their loss could stir up huge amounts of controversy. Perhaps its because they like the way they play, or perhaps its for a huge host of other reasons. All I know is that the All Blacks play an uber-cynical style of footy that would see half our team sitting on the sideline if we tried to emulate it. They’re constantly holding on in tackles, not rolling away (or rolling away towards the other teams halfback), holding onto players at rucks, taking players out in general play, entering rucks from all sorts of angles and my ultimate fucking least favourite of all: giving away cynical penalties in their own 22 to slow the ball down. Early in the game when Folau took the high ball 5 out from their tryline? They lay all over it, slowed down play and then when we were finally awarded the penalty and Moore tried to talk to Poite he just waved him away. Funnily enough, he didn’t mind chatting with Reid throughout the game, but treated Stephen as if he has leprosy. It was a fucking rort and it has to stop (I do note that Poite is a particularly shit Ref).
    • Edit: other examples of poor refereeing. Savea restart. Pocock being taken out in backplay. Kerevi being tripped. The list goes on. We would’ve lost anyway but this type of shit can destroy a teams chances and morale. Half the Wallabies were bloody screaming at Poite in the last 10 minutes of the game and I completely understand why.
Anyway, I actually didn’t mind that game, especially compared to last weeks performance. It was a step in the right direction, and I simply can’t wait to play the Springboks / the Pumas later in the RC as those are games I feel like we might actually be able to win. Bring it on.

M

Moono75

Pretty much disagree with all of that. Please nominate a replacement for all of your 'has beens' notwithstanding that a few of them weren't playing anyway.

As for colemans tackle..

Please read my comments again. The important part to take out of it is "The lack of so called reliable and proven backups should not be an excuse to maintain the status quo for guys that have proven they aren't up to the job year after year".

I'm very much preaching along the lines of "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result".

The question we need to be asking is where is the improvement going to come form guys like Moore, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Genia, Cooper, Mumm, Simmons etc....they've been around for donkey's years, if they haven't shown it by now then when???????

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Moore and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) certainly need to go. Moore falls out with every ref. That isn't Poite's fault.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The more I think about it, the more I am shitted off by Poite.
No. Not because we lost - the ABs were far and away the much better team, so no issues at all. We lost that just fine.
Mainly because he just bottled it. Franks on Douglas - I mean FFS, if you tell a player to stop something, then they escalate it, do something the fuck about it you ineffectual goose. Basically only talking to Wallaby players with every bit of niggle. Refusing to talk to Moore then Hooper when he quite happily stood and listened to half the fucking AB pack bend his ear relentlessly about everything, and that's before you even add A Smith. The team captain has a right to speak to the ref. No-one else does. Fine, maybe Moore got under his skin, but he never once told Kieran Read to shut up or go away, and he was yapping all game (as a captain probably should). He never once told Read to shut his other players up. Not fucking once. And when Moore was replaced, he rebuffed Hooper immediately. It's not like Hooper had been badgering him all game.
It's just not acceptable.
World Rugby should send him back to the minors, as they say in baseball. Just not up to scratch. A fucking woeful display which did nothing to add to the game. He detracted all night.
Rant over.

All blacks far better. I couldn't even imagine us scoring.

But this. This post above yes. One of the worst reffing performances at this level I can remember

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
If your unfairly penalised...NOT penalised..miss a tackle...commit foul play..get away with foul play, all these things lead to opportunities, points or possession changes..which often lead to points.again! At worst, field position!
They are certainly the types of KEY moments that happen in games...and this game was full of them, as highlighted.

Yes but it seems you think you're not as one eyed as us kiwis? There is plenty of stuff that goes the other way but you haven't mentioned any of them. Poite was useless across the board tonight.

That was pretty much the game wasn't it?

Not poor defensive reads, inability to compete at the lineout, poor exit plays, producing nothing on attack, a captain with zero nous (or ability).

The missed tackles are bad enough but it seriously looked like the gameplan was to create niggle and not much else. QC (Quade Cooper) and Folau did two good things, Genia one, and that's about it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Please read my comments again. The important part to take out of it is "The lack of so called reliable and proven backups should not be an excuse to maintain the status quo for guys that have proven they aren't up to the job year after year".

I'm very much preaching along the lines of "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result".

The question we need to be asking is where is the improvement going to come form guys like Moore, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Genia, Cooper, Mumm, Simmons etc..they've been around for donkey's years, if they haven't shown it by now then when???????

Moore off the boil, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), OK, Genia was class tonight, and he's not old; Cooper has plenty to offer, and not old; Mumm getting on a bit but playing the sub role well enough for now (wouldn't start him), Simmons has plenty of upside, and he's not old. We don't have the luxury of chucking all these guys out. We should be improving them, not giving up.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
  • Sio's lost a bit of effectiveness around the park and isn't exactly setting the world on fire at scrumtime; wouldn't mind seeing Slipper into the starting team as I view him as a more dynamic player in general play. He's also an older head and that experience could be useful.
  • Moore. Where to start? I hate kicking a man when he's down but Jesus Christ the guys performance has been putrid. Add to that the fact that he treats referees like a petulant child and has the interpersonal skills of Rain Man he shouldn't be in the starting team let alone fucking captain. Drop him to the bench or fuck him off completely. Seriously. Allowing him to continue to start will just destroys the blokes confidence. He looked like he was going to cry towards the end of the game.
  • I really liked the contributions of Coleman (aside from the stupid late hit - what a fucking brainfart) and I thought that both he and Douglas had a strong work-rate and physicality in general play. Finally some Aussie locks with a drop of 'hardman'. Lets see if they can keep it up. Also, Dean Mumm has surprised me two weeks in a row so he’s destined for a shocker next week. Very energetic around the park and actually added some starch to the pack (not sure how he does it with his 72kg frame. He looks like some kid whose found his Dad’s old jersey and wondered out onto the pitch. Seriously ARU, get him one that fits).
  • Fardy had a couple of token brainfarts but otherwise solid. Again, I'm not sold on the Pooper and dare I say it (I'll be roasted alive) I think Pocock's effectiveness at the breakdown isn't what it used to be. Why? I don't know. Perhaps its the way the laws are interpreted, perhaps its playing behind a well-beaten pack. That being said, the number 8s in Australia are utterly uninspiring and I think Hooper/Pocock is infinitely better than any permutation of Pocock/McCalman/whoever.
  • Individually, Hooper played well. Always an annoyance. I just wish he'd keep his fucking head down in scrums.
  • Genia played well. Genuinely well. Not best-of-a-bad-bunch well. Good to have you back Willy. Keep it up.
  • I think at times the 10-12 axis of Cooper / Foley looked good and they both started well with Foley's performance petering out towards the end of the game. It was relieving to have Quade’s boot back in the side.
  • DHP, what the fuck happened? He looked so promising at stages in the England series and now he’s a human sieve in defence. I’m lost as to what’s happened there.
  • Folau doesn’t need a mention. He played his game and did it well. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was unfortunate as I think he played well last game.
  • Hodgey Hodgey Hodgey. The boy can kick and unlike most of our young, promising players he can actually tackle as well! Start him at 11 next week (in place of DHP) and anytime theres a penalty within 60 get him to put boot to ball. Keep that scoreboard ticking over.
  • After all of that, my team for next week: Slipper, TPN, Kepu, Arnold, Douglas, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, Genia, Cooper, Hodge, To'omua, Kerevi, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (if not concussed), Folau.
  • Bench of: Sio, Hanson, Ala'alatoa, Mumm, McMahon (or McCalman), Phipps, Foley, DHP.
  • The set piece? Has to be improved. Utterly ridiculous. You can’t compete in a game where you forfeit the puck every time theres a scrum or a line out. Any team playing us can simply kick to the corner and get the ball back. Needs to be improved (wtf do they do at training?)
  • What the fuck is the game plan? It seems like Australia can only focus on one thing at a time. During the RWC? Set piece. We had a pretty good scrum and a functioning lineout. That went to shit didn’t it? During the England series? Running rugby. “Run from everywhere on the park. 2011 Quade cross-field kicks in your own goal area, Wallabies ‘running rugby’ and all”. During this series? The emphasis on adding kicking to the game plan has transformed our game plan into kicking. We’ve stringed together about 6 phases in the last two games. Atleast the defence was better tonight, but as morale fell throughout the game so did the commitment to defence. It has to improve.
  • The referees. The oft-glossed over topic because simply mentioning it can get you labelled a sore lose, but Micheal won’t shy away from this one. Over the last 12-24 months, the Wallabies have become international referee’s public enemy. We are absolutely ref’d off the park week in week out, and all this ‘tough’ pushing and shoving we’ve been doing doesn’t help, especially when the captain’s involved and especially when he thinks shouting at people is an effective method of communication (imagine being married to Stephen Moore). The team and coaching staff need to address this: we need a new captain and we need to sit down with World Rugby to iron out how we can play without amounting a ridiculous penalty count.
  • Now to address the other team it really does seem that referees are hesitant to properly officiate the All Blacks. Why? Who knows? Perhaps its because as hands down the best team in the world, they are expected to win and a call that results in their loss could stir up huge amounts of controversy. Perhaps its because they like the way they play, or perhaps its for a huge host of other reasons. All I know is that the All Blacks play an uber-cynical style of footy that would see half our team sitting on the sideline if we tried to emulate it. They’re constantly holding on in tackles, not rolling away (or rolling away towards the other teams halfback), holding onto players at rucks, taking players out in general play, entering rucks from all sorts of angles and my ultimate fucking least favourite of all: giving away cynical penalties in their own 22 to slow the ball down. Early in the game when Folau took the high ball 5 out from their tryline? They lay all over it, slowed down play and then when we were finally awarded the penalty and Moore tried to talk to Poite he just waved him away. Funnily enough, he didn’t mind chatting with Reid throughout the game, but treated Stephen as if he has leprosy. It was a fucking rort and it has to stop (I do note that Poite is a particularly shit Ref).

• Edit: other examples of poor refereeing. Savea restart. Pocock being taken out in backplay. Kerevi being tripped. The list goes on. We would’ve lost anyway but this type of shit can destroy a teams chances and morale. Half the Wallabies were bloody screaming at Poite in the last 10 minutes of the game and I completely understand why.
Anyway, I actually didn’t mind that game, especially compared to last weeks performance. It was a step in the right direction, and I simply can’t wait to play the Springboks / the Pumas later in the RC as those are games I feel like we might actually be able to win. Bring it on.
Agree with you regarding Pocock. Tonight Poite refereed him out of the game

M

Moono75

Da fuq? Mumm, Genia, Cooper and TPN all played just fine tonight. Simmons and To'omua have plenty to offer - one off form, one injured.

Fine tonight, not great but still losing. Where does the improvement come? Never going to improve enough now to make the leap required. Absolute rethink of the team selections required. Are Moore, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cooper, Mumm, Simmons going to be at their best for the next World Cup.

We aren't winning with them now, do we expect to do so in 4 years time.

Take the pain now, embrace the next generation of player and blend them in with the best we have now.

M

Moono75

Sometimes to effect the necessary result you need to shake the shit out of things. That time has come.

K

KAOPointman

• After all of that, my team for next week: Slipper, TPN, Kepu, Arnold, Douglas, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, Genia, Cooper, Hodge, To'omua, Kerevi, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (if not concussed), Folau.
  • The referees. The oft-glossed over topic because simply mentioning it can get you labelled a sore lose, but Micheal won’t shy away from this one. Over the last 12-24 months, the Wallabies have become international referee’s public enemy. We are absolutely ref’d off the park week in week out, and all this ‘tough’ pushing and shoving we’ve been doing doesn’t help, especially when the captain’s involved and especially when he thinks shouting at people is an effective method of communication (imagine being married to Stephen Moore). The team and coaching staff need to address this: we need a new captain and we need to sit down with World Rugby to iron out how we can play without amounting a ridiculous penalty count.

Mate, love ur style....agree with everything. Right after totally disagreeing with everything someone else wrote. Lol.... does anyone know what on earths going on?
Bring on the next game I say. Drop DHP and switch out Sio....for now.

Let's see how Cheiks goes with this rediculous joke of a problem with the refs!!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm not going to keep arguing with you, but you are just fucking wrong
Fine tonight, not great but still losing. Where does the improvement come? Never going to improve enough now to make the leap required. Absolute rethink of the team selections required. Are Moore, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cooper, Mumm, Simmons going to be at their best for the next World Cup.

We aren't winning with them now, do we expect to do so in 4 years time.

Take the pain now, embrace the next generation of player and blend them in with the best we have now.
How about coming up with realistic names to replace all this players right now. Bet you can't. Some will be gone by RWC 2019, some most definitely should not be, but for now, the last thing the Wallabies need is a bunch of guys on training wheels. And I just can't believe you think Genia and Cooper are in the group that should be gone now. Just daft. Bring some in at a time - guys like DHP / Hodge / Coleman / Kerevi are getting starts, guys like Robertson, Ready are getting some squad time. You do it by increments. Hindsight has said that the Europe brigade largely have come up short - mostly unlucky injuries. Fine. But we just cannot sweep so many aside as you say at once.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
Mate, love ur style..agree with everything. Right after totally disagreeing with everything someone else wrote. Lol.. does anyone know what on earths going on?
Bring on the next game I say. Drop DHP and switch out Sio..for now.

Let's see how Cheiks goes with this rediculous joke of a problem with the refs!!!
Apparently it happened before in an English test as well- same ref

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
7A4E0BFA-D082-481B-9B8A-4A495BCFF2FA_zps8arrtsuk.png

sbwerror_zpsrvi8adrm.png

K

KAOPointman

Apparent it happened before an English test as well- same ref
Yes but it seems you think you're not as one eyed as us kiwis? There is plenty of stuff that goes the other way but you haven't mentioned any of them. Poite was useless across the board tonight.

Not poor defensive reads, inability to compete at the lineout, poor exit plays, producing nothing on attack, a captain with zero nous (or ability).

The missed tackles are bad enough but it seriously looked like the gameplan was to create niggle and not much else. QC (Quade Cooper) and Folau did two good things, Genia one, and that's about it.
you must have missed the start of my post where i said "KEY moments for me as a WALLABY supporter" ( so please take the one eyed innuendo elsewhere)

Mate this is the green n gold forum. Not the green n gold and black forum. Kiwis are obviously welcome but don't shat on my opinion! No hard feelings ;)

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree with you regarding Pocock. Tonight Poite refereed him out of the game

I think you underestimate that the AB's play him out of the game, every time. They target him at the rucks, force him to make tackles.

As for Poite, I thought he did pocock over for one penalty. Other than that, not really. Pocock still doesn't understand not to pilfer after the ruck has formed. Unless the ref is loose at ruck time, pilfering is not what it used to be. He doesn't really offer much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.