• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Simone was largely solid - a couple of mistakes (far less than most) with the ball strip and one bad grubber attempt........ but overall he seemed comfortable in attack and he defended quite well - I was actually expecting a bit more fragility out of him than Lolesio.

And I would've expected Lolesio to defend at fullback regardless, but for the first half it seemed as if they were hiding him there in attack as well, which I'm not sure helped the confidence when they finally decided to let him touch the ball 3 tries down.

It's a shame he couldn't come off the bench in Auckland, but if JOC (James O'Connor) is fit next week I expect him back at 10, Simone at 12, and let's give Lolesio a bit more time from the bench.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’ll happily concede several reasons not to play him, but that isn’t one of them

Starting a debut flyhalf against the All Blacks in their first year of professional rugby is a big call, but at least Lolesio had the form to roll that dice....... Harrison does not.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Starting a debut flyhalf against the All Blacks in their first year of professional rugby is a big call, but at least Lolesio had the form to roll that dice... Harrison does not.
He does actually. Prior to Lolesios performance in the final most had Harrison ahead of him.

Regardless, that backline I put out was a look to the future, nothing to lose kind of thing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He does actually. Prior to Lolesios performance in the final most had Harrison ahead of him.

I don't think anyone except for the most one eyed sky blue supporters considered that based on any Super Rugby form this year........

Maybe in the future, but until he starts outperforming his Australian counterparts nothing this year suggests that Harrison is ready for test rugby.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nothing suggested Lolesio was either. But isn’t the future what it’s all about? That’s where I was coming from.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

And?

This was a poll started after round 5 in Super Au, and obviously doesn't take into account the preceding 7 rounds of Super Rugby.

And even then I don't believe it suggests what you think it does.........

Nothing suggested Lolesio was either.

Except for outperforming JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua and Harrison when he played against them.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I don't think anyone except for the most one eyed sky blue supporters considered that based on any Super Rugby form this year....

Maybe in the future, but until he starts outperforming his Australian counterparts nothing this year suggests that Harrison is ready for test rugby.

Well he couldn’t do much worse than tonight....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Better off repeatedly charging head first into a brick wall than trying to out-opinion slim.

I can't really disagree with that, based on many of the usual post-match meltdowns that occur after an All Blacks loss.........

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Next Rugby AU appointment should be a selector based in the UK/ Japan. We need to accept our depth is playing globally.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree but if we don’t identify the talent early and offer them something they get contracted to league straight out of school and everyone criticises the development pathway for not securing the next generation.
We suffer from having a well paid and more popular alternative.
Damned if you do and dammed if you don’t

Yep but you have to persist, like it or not NZ has the same problem with league, and lose a shit load of young boys to Aussie league. I think the idea of youngsters playing and not just academy shit has a lot going for it. Have a peek at what those 19-20 year olds are learning playing ITM cup in NZ with players in their late 20s and 30s. I believe it's what Aus needs so much, competition and gametime for the players , not excuses about NRL or AFL (though some are valid).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
My personal opinion is although the new 10-12 combo struggled, I can't think of many new players that could of looked good in a test where your forwards got beaten pretty comprehensively. That is where a hell of a lot of the Wallabies problems were, they scrummed ok, but apart from that weren't too effective I thought. Cane I thought was best loosie on field, Whitelock was arguably the best forward (with Coles and Cane real close behind), and let the AB backs play. Rugby is still a game won in the forwards and tossing out young backs after the forwards get done is a little unfair.
One thing I noticed a couple of times, and not sure if it a new thing, but when Taniella Tupou came on did anyone look at heis feet positioning in scrum, he seemed to have his outside foot well forward of his inside one , and so when pressure came on his arse went out and he was pinged for going in and up which he was, not on purpose, just when you put on push you push straight in way your feet are facing.
Just a couple of things I thought I saw last night.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Everyone needs to get off Lolesio’s back. When Lolesio was announced at starting flyhalf it was because there were no other options due to our most experienced backline players being injured. White played the most woeful game I have seen from him and Lolesio didn’t have JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua on the inside to assist with leadership and line control. If all other backs were on form Lolesio would have had a more organised game. It was a massive step up with no support. IMO he was doomed before the game stated. I think we leave him there with hope that either JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua are fit to play at inside centre next week. Bringing in Stewart or Harrison is not going to fix the problems we had last night, it would only exacerbate them.
On a positive note, I thought Wilson, McDermott and Petaia played well considering the circumstances.